PSA: Buffs are OUT in Idaho

dflett68

WFF Supporter
I do find it amusing that the new guy is trying to frame the people in the OP as perfectly reasonable...for screaming epithets at someone wearing a sun buff.
Oh yes - A perfectly normal and intelligent action on their part.
:rolleyes:
just an expression of reasonable skepticism, that's all.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Green Death.....
That's what it was known as in the ancient times of the 70's...
Thought it was discontinued a few years ago, but don't drink beer, so not sure.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
I've gone to some far flung and rowdy places on this earth (brazilian favelas, colombian cocaine production villages, Beirut, ect..) and I've never felt as uncomfortable or out of place as I did in northern Idaho. I would love to fish and backpack the area but I'd be hesitant to go back. I'd never walk into a bar there, that's for sure.

I walked into a bar in northern Idaho last September about 10:30 at night. Me and a buddy I was headed to MT to fish with and about a dozen hammered locals. I out of place for a number of reasons, not just my political leanings. In the end it seemed like any shitty towny bar I have ever been too in New England where I grew up or out west. All was fine. We had a few beers and ordered some food which we never get to eat because the power went out in the whole town.

Would I start a political discussion? No, asking for trouble. Did I laugh at a perfectly timed Obama slam? Yes, it was funny (power went out and without missing a beat, one of locals yelled f*cking Obama) That made everyone laugh at how ridiculously quick the response was and how ridiculous the statement was...

Anyway, just saying I have spent time in a few spots in the US and overseas where I was more uncomfortable. I don’t spend a ton of time in bars but when I do I treat it like work, especially when around strangers. Steer clear of politics and religion. Stick to what you have in common (usually more than you think) and generally you’ll be fine. At least that’s been my experience.

N. Idaho has its unique issues....like white supremacist compounds :(. That’s not a representation of the whole state or region though. In the end, there is a seedy underbelly to every region in this country.

SpudFly

Should be fishing
I’ve worn a mask/buff fishing very crowded salmon beaches for the last few weeks. 12+ trips and not one person has made a comment even though 97% of folks are not wearing anything.

It’s possible to run into a random a$$hat anywhere in the world, not just Idaho. One random moron does does not a state or region make.

This is true most the time, but this is most certainly NOT the case here in NI right now!

Let me reiterate that I go out about six times a week to surf on boat waves. Each of those sessions is a minimum of two hours. Half of the time I am joined by my buddy Chris (who also could not believe it wasn’t just ONE random asshat). Chris found out how crazy it is out there the same way I did. Someone launching a tirade at him.

I got an expletive laced rant from shore the first time I ever wore the face covering. Chris had a boat drive right up to him so the 3 passengers could serve him up some angry convo about Covid.

And here is what is true. I spend over 12 hours a week out there floating around and waiting for waves. Boat traffic funnels by the surf spot quite closely. There is RARELY a 20 minute gap where a boat load of people doesn’t openly discuss how stupid I am. If I surf in close to shore, more conversations. I’ve been yelled at dozens of times. I have had people gesture to me to pull down my mask I don’t know how many times. A lady took pictures of me with a dslr and a telephoto lens for over a minute while hiding behind her husband who was openly mocking me.

I’m super happy for you that you have been able to escape the sun without this stupidity, but said stupidity here is rampant and the inability for people to have the two cents to process the scenario for what it is, seemingly nonexistent.

It is a constant presence here and that is truly nuts.

B3BC0374-6F0C-48D3-B1EF-8B4EFB95DB43.jpeg

Last edited:

Yard Sale

Huge Member
This is true most the time, but this is most certainly NOT the case here in NI right now!

Let me reiterate that I go out about six times a week to surf on boat waves. Each of those sessions is a minimum of two hours. Half of the time I am joined by my buddy Chris (who also could not believe it wasn’t just ONE random asshat). Chris found out how crazy it is out there the same way I did. Someone launching a tirade at him.

I got an expletive laced rant from shore the first time I ever wore the face covering. Chris had a boat drive right up to him so the 3 passengers could serve him up some angry convo about Covid.

And here is what is true. I spend over 12 hours a week out there floating around and waiting for waves. Boat traffic funnels by the surf spot quite closely. There is RARELY a 20 minute gap where a boat load of people doesn’t openly discuss how stupid I am. If I surf in close to shore, more conversations. I’ve been yelled at dozens of times. I have had people gesture to me to pull down my mask I don’t know how many times. A lady took pictures of me with a dslr and a telephoto lens for over a minute while hiding behind her husband who was openly mocking me.

I’m super happy for you that you have been able to escape the sun without this stupidity, but said stupidity here is rampant and the inability for people to have the two cents to process the scenario for what it is, seemingly nonexistent.

View attachment 250065

You could just move to the gorge where we will heckle you for having an IR skirt! :p
Don’t get discouraged by people saying the ignorant part out loud. Just pity them and move on...

Mems

The trout I met in Northern Idaho were very lovely and being cutthroats very eager to please. The people were nice as well because it was Dean who took me out on the NFCDL.
The only bar I hit was Crickets and they had oysters and beer, so I didn’t care what the locals were like.

SpudFly

Should be fishing
You could just move to the gorge where we will heckle you for having an IR skirt! :p
Don’t get discouraged by people saying the ignorant part out loud. Just pity them and move on...
Dagger spray skirt to match the boat is on the way. Swimmy would be proud.

And I totally agree with the pity and moving on...at least, I did.

It’s pretty hard to watch stupid day in and day out when your best bet is to just sit there and endure it.

I have endured it for the boats because I know any one of the captains could be thoroughly drunk and kill me in an instant if they wanted.

I have not been kind to the shore curmudgeons. But, I figure I’ve played water polo for two decades and let’s just see who survives that one :).

SpudFly

Should be fishing
For those who have had bad bar experiences in downtown CDA, next time head to Moontime just outside of 6B503B42-DA27-4461-9FE0-3DA576B931F7.jpeg town. If you like liquor, head to Capones just outside of downtown.

I guess what I’m saying is, head to anything just outside of downtown. If you are dead set on staying downtown, please go to Fire or Crafted.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter

View attachment 250065

My point is this is a 50% of the country issue now, not just a N. Idaho one. Unfortunately, masks have become politicized and my guess is the comments directed at you are less about covid specifically and more about your perceived political leanings. Sadly, wearing a mask/not wearing a mask if not “required” is akin to wearing a Biden/Trump t-shirt at this point.

When I see comments like “like the populace is “grossly confused and angry” or other choice descriptions spread throughout this thread about a whole region of the country, I’ll call it out for what it is, divisive and annoying. I defend W .Washington as well when folks on this board make generalized, ignorant comments about the populace here as well.

I happen to think wearing a mask is the right thing to do anywhere you cannot social distance, indoors or out, for my protection and yours. I’ll be driving through your neck of the woods and spending time in MT and WY soon and will be wearing a mask if the situation calls for it. I may hear sh*t and don’t care. They’ll get a disinterested look and I’ll move on. I won’t be slamming the intelligence level of a whole region over it because I know what’s driving it.

It’s sad when important issues get politicized but it happens a lot across the whole left to right spectrum and not just in N. Idaho. You happen to live in a very conservative part of the country so you will come across more of the a$$hats I referenced that are so indoctrinated by the red side of this now politicized issue that they cannot help but call out strangers. There are parts of the country where you are more likely to run into obnoxious a$$hats on the blue side of this issue that are quite obnoxious as well. That vocal subset of the populace in either place and their stance on one highly politicized issue does not define the quality of the people in the whole region though.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts