Mountain Goats and Rainbow Trout

Dave Westburg

WFF Supporter
Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 7.50.18 AM.png
Yesterday we climbed to the lake in the rocks. It's in the Central Cascades. You take a trail and then a boot trail and then just scramble over rocks to get there. We found fish using intermediate lines and hard bodied ants or hare's ear wet flies slowly twitched over the shallows. This is a six year old fish.

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 7.53.01 AM.png
We could hear rocks falling from the cliff above the lake. A closer inspection revealed this.
Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 7.56.14 AM.png
The day's arsenal. A J.S. Sharpes Scottie Eighty Eight, 5 weight intermediate line, a leather fly book and Hare's Ear wet flies.
Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 8.02.41 AM.png
Coffee with lunch is a must. I have a deal with my fishing buddy. I find the high lakes. He brings lunch and makes strong aeropress coffee. The gloves were on account of the mosquitos.
Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 8.11.18 AM.png

Elliott5400

Love the cup a aeropress makes, but unfortunately I just can't justify the pack space on overnights.

Sometimes I'll bring it on a day trip. Otherwise I use instant.

mcswny

"I have a deal with my fishing buddy. I find the high lakes. He brings lunch and makes strong aeropress coffee." <- Damn, you have the better end of the deal

Also, curious how you know the age of the fish? You count its rings?

Dave Westburg

WFF Supporter
"I have a deal with my fishing buddy. I find the high lakes. He brings lunch and makes strong aeropress coffee." <- Damn, you have the better end of the deal

Also, curious how you know the age of the fish? You count its rings?
WDFW Stocking Records. You can access the stocking records for every high lake off their website. There are two sizes of fish in the lake. 12 inchers and 18 inchers. The lake was stocked 3 years ago and 6 years ago. The fish was 18" so I assumed it was a six year old.

Last edited:

Elliott5400

Agree that the aeropress is a little bulky but there's usually room in my pack when I daytrip. For overnight hikes my kids bought me an ingenious one cup drip holder that folds completely flat.
View attachment 250147
View attachment 250148
That's a nice pour over kit!

I tried the disposable pour over packets, but wasn't a fan of the ones i got.

I switched from bringing a mug and pot, to just a pot and double it as a mug when needed. Then I just dump some instant coffee (alpine start or bustelo are decent)

Packed up and leaving for a multi day GT quest right now.

bakerite

There are a lot of goats here in the Elkhorns. I've seen a herd of twenty at Twin Lakes. The male goat in charge was very impressive. Not to be messed with at all. I kept Gus on a short leash.

Mark Kadoshima

Dave, thanks for the great reports. You got me motivated, so my girls and I will hit one of the 'beginner' alpine lakes soon. They'll putz around on shore while I get to spend an hour or two on my new float tube. Since it's a 'practice' run, I'm going to pack in my waders.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts