DIY full intermediate Skagit/Spey line?

bconrad

Hi all,
Posting in the saltwater forum even though this is somewhat of a spey question, because my application is intended for salt fishing from the beach. I prefer to fish a switch rod for beach fishing due to some pretty beat up shoulders. I also really like being able to cast off either shoulder as I find it a lot easier to deal with strong wind.

I'm trying to figure out a full intermediate line for this scenario, and while I can cobble together a skagit system using intermediate tip, head, and running line, the connections are invariably annoying and detrimental to an efficient casting rotation.

Has anyone spliced together mutiple intermediate components to create one single intermediate line in the 600 grain range? I've seen a few premade solutions intended for lighter switch rods but so far haven't had any luck finding something in the 7-8 weight spey range. I'm willing to chop up some lines but I'm concerned about how strong the connections will be on intermediate coatings. Looking to use the PVC line splicing approach using Airflo lines if possible.

I have perused the multiple threads on switch rods for the beach but it seems like most of the discussion on full intermediates is for SRC fishing using 4-5 weights. I'm looking to throw heavy lead bugs for salmon using an 8 weight Method.

Thanks for any input/suggestions!

Edit: One additional clarification - I am not looking for a 2 handed overhead line. Looking for a full intermediate Skagit Switch type of line including an integrated intermediate tip. Full head length in the 32-35 foot range.

cmann886

If you are not doing the DYI for fun, consider picking up an Airflow FIST. They are easy to cast and should handle the payload that you want to deliver. I have one in 570 grain at 22.5 ft. that I like better than their Skagit short in the 600.

An airflow 14’ 8/9 tip if 97 grains with it spliced to a FIST you would be right at 36’ and , and with the 540 FIST you would be at 630 grains. If that is too heavy you could either shorten it from the back or start with the 510 grain FIST. It should be easy to splice the tip if really want an integrated line.

For a 5 wt. Rod I have a full intermediate that Steve Godshall built for me. I also had him build a full intermediate Scandi that I sold after I sold the Sage One that he build it for. So you have the option to have him build you a custom line that meets exactly what you are looking for and the price will be very competitive, unless you have old lines that you want to use.

bconrad

Thanks for the advice cmann, much appreciated. I am using the predecessor to the FIST now I believe, it's some sort of early intermediate skagit head from Airflo. Does the FIST come with an integrated intermediate running line?

If not I think I may be in the same boat I'm in now where I can use an intermediate running line, mostly intermediate head (I think SA does a full intermediate skagit head), and intermediate tip...but I still have the two loop to loop connections unless I weld the tip and running line to the head.

And yeah, the DIY is not for fun. If I could find a full intermediate Skagit line on the market anywhere near 550g I'd buy it.

bconrad

Are you stripping in all the way to your leader or are you cool with 15-20’ of line out too?

I'd prefer to strip to the nail knot on the leader, which is why it would be really nice to have an integrated tip. For whatever reason, I find the intermediate tips to be "sticky" and a total pain in the ass to get out of the rod guides after stripping back in.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Yes, coho from the beaches here in W WA.

Sorry I can’t help you with your line question as I’m two handed challenges.
Just a quick question though. Wouldn’t a 8 wt switch be equivalent to about a 10 wt single hander?
The only reason I ask is it seems most of the folks I run into using two handers for coho are using 6 wts and easily casting clousers etc with them.
I’m sure you know if you’ve fished the sound a lot most the fish are going to be sub 8 lbs, which the 6 two hander will easily handle while letting them show their stuff. Might be even easier on your shoulders.
Sorry for the thread drift but just something to consider regarding the size of gear and fish.
SF

Last edited:

bconrad

Sorry I can’t help you with your line question as I’m two handed challenges.
Just a quick quick question though. Wouldn’t a 8 wt switch be equivalent to about a 10 wt single hander?
The only reason I ask is it seems most of the folks I run into using two handers for coho are using 6 wts and easily casting clousers etc with them.
I’m sure you know if you’ve fished the sound a lot most the fish are going to be sub 8 lbs, which the 6 two hander will easily handle while letting them show their stuff. Might be even easier on your shoulders.
Sorry for the thread drift but just something to consider regarding the size of gear and fish.
SF

Hmm, not sure about the single hander to switch rod equivalent. You make a good point, I may be able to go down in rod size which might open up some new line possibilities.

I generally don't worry too much about the size of fish since I don't catch very many. My rationale for the 8 weight is to cast the flies I want to fish with. I bought some clousers from Nick Clayton and I don't think I'd want to cast those monsters on a 6 weight switch. I do have a 7 weight I could try though. I don't know how people cast these things on a single hander without braining themselves in a cross wind.

I did run across one line that is intriguing. The Rio Outbound Short comes in a 12 weight intermediate that weighs in at 510 grains. I'm not super excited about the reliability of this line or the quality of the shooting line based on the various reports I've seen here, but it does seem to meet most of my criteria, albeit not being intended for water loaded casting.

cmann886

The FIST does not come with an integrated line, you would have to splice that on to it.

I will keep my eyes open for an intermediate running line for you.

Steve Godshall @ 541 840 2594 or @ [email protected] can set you up with a nice line designed exactly for your rod and sink rate that you need. He built me a 7 wt. full intermediate for a 14' rod and a 5 wt. intermediate head for a 13' rod.

Thanks for the advice cmann, much appreciated. I am using the predecessor to the FIST now I believe, it's some sort of early intermediate skagit head from Airflo. Does the FIST come with an integrated intermediate running line?

If not I think I may be in the same boat I'm in now where I can use an intermediate running line, mostly intermediate head (I think SA does a full intermediate skagit head), and intermediate tip...but I still have the two loop to loop connections unless I weld the tip and running line to the head.

And yeah, the DIY is not for fun. If I could find a full intermediate Skagit line on the market anywhere near 550g

bconrad

The FIST does not come with an integrated line, you would have to splice that on to it.

I will keep my eyes open for an intermediate running line for you.

Steve Godshall @ 541 840 2594 or @ [email protected] can set you up with a nice line designed exactly for your rod and sink rate that you need. He built me a 7 wt. full intermediate for a 14' rod and a 5 wt. intermediate head for a 13' rod.

Thanks for the input! I have thought about Steve's lines but just assumed that he wouldn't work with a full intermediate request. Good to hear that he built a few for you, I think I'll touch base with him and see what he suggests.

Bob Smith

WFF Supporter
I second the Steve Godshall suggestion - I have several lines he has built for me (mine are all single hand lines) and I love them.

olyfish

Yep, Steve Godshall is a great solution.
For sea run cutts and rezzie coho I'm using a 4 wt 2 hander with an integrated Scientific Angler Scandi Lite. It casts beautifully, you can strip all the way in and turns over smaller clousers just fine. I would imagine a 6 wt 2 hander would be a joy to cast. Scientific Anglers makes an integrated intermediate skagit that you can strip all the way in as well.

bconrad

Yep, Steve Godshall is a great solution.
For sea run cutts and rezzie coho I'm using a 4 wt 2 hander with an integrated Scientific Angler Scandi Lite. It casts beautifully, you can strip all the way in and turns over smaller clousers just fine. I would imagine a 6 wt 2 hander would be a joy to cast. Scientific Anglers makes an integrated intermediate skagit that you can strip all the way in as well.

I really wish they made that integrated skagit line a couple line sizes bigger. From what I can tell the max grain weight is 420 which might work for a 6 weight switch. Still a bit light for what I want to do with it though. Appreciate the suggestion, if I am ever looking for a SRC application this line will be at the top of my list!

olyfish

If you already have a rod you like in the heavier weights I would email Steve Godschall. He can custom make exactly what you want. He's a magician. Do you have his contact info?
Also, the guys at Emerald Water Anglers in West Seattle are really knowledgeable about 2 handers in the salt. I'd give them a call.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts