buff face mask worse than maskless for covid

Jim M-glass guy

Just received a text from my daughter who is was PHD researcher and keeps up on interests relating to my interests as well as hers. She said there is new research out of Duke University which says that the wearing of a neck gaiter is worse than wearing a face mask in the transmission of particles. I just took the time to read the article and essentially its a Medical School researcher and through a study it shows the gaiters don't do much in the way of restricting the flow of material coming out of the persons mouth through the gaiter. For what its worth..... bit I don't want to incite a volatile discussion or a series of problems. Just an FYI thought.

gt

i just finished reading that study as well. they only used a single layer of fabric with the Buffs they tested. i have to wonder if doubling it over is more effective. although, Buff came out and said the same thing the study concluded. i will continue to wear mine but doubled over, hope that makes some difference.

c.burke

Yeah, I would go along with the study! I wore a buff couple times for convenience but since have a proper mask always at hand. Thanks for this!

PV_Premier

The issue, for those who didn't read the study, is that a single layer of fine polyester fabric can actually cause larger droplets from spit/sneeze/cough to become smaller when forced through the fabric and thus disperse in air more readily. Triple layer cotton fabric masks didn't seem to have this problem.

I wear my buff for quick interactions but stick with the triple layer cotton or K95 for longer/closer interactions.

dustinchromers

They don't look medical enough. How is a buff any different than a fabric mask? Fabric is fabric and all of this is a conspiracy by big fabric to get you to buy more fabric. Buffs are damaging their bottom line and they will fund all these cooked up studies to further their agenda. You must OBEY big fabric. Big Fabric loves you brother. Big Fabric is for your safety. Big Fabric is truth. We all must submit to Big Fabric if humanity is to continue. If not only 99.94% of us will be left in a post apocalyptic wasteland to repopulate the earth. Just do what Big Fabric wants. It's for your safety.

NRC

WFF Supporter
They don't look medical enough. How is a buff any different than a fabric mask? Fabric is fabric and all of this is a conspiracy by big fabric to get you to buy more fabric. Buffs are damaging their bottom line and they will fund all these cooked up studies to further their agenda. You must OBEY big fabric. Big Fabric loves you brother. Big Fabric is for your safety. Big Fabric is truth. We all must submit to Big Fabric if humanity is to continue. If not only 99.94% of us will be left in a post apocalyptic wasteland to repopulate the earth. Just do what Big Fabric wants. It's for your safety.
You are spinning a real yarn here. These claims are totally fabricated, and they're so illogical that I can't even follow the thread.

Sportsman

I heard from a guy that said he had heard from a guy that thought blah, blah ,blah meant blah, blah, blah, and sneezing in public has the same effect of wearing your dirty boxers as a mask is the same thing. Love the internet experts!!

Last edited:

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
A buff is just going through the motions of being in compliance. I wear a mask with a filter . we have a bunch of them. We launder them whenever we go out which is not often. To be honest I ocassionally put on a dork science hat...and it does not surprise me about the 110% dispersal though it sounds a bit Leo Durocher to me...the percentage that is...Ha!

Leadeyedbugger

It would seem common sense to me that the thinner the fabric and the larger the holes through the fabric the less effective it is, but I would also bet that it is still better then no mask.I have a buff and a cloth mask that I keep with me depending on what I am doing.

I also had a idiot get on me about wearing a buff while he had a half face respirator on. I had to inform him on how his cool mask had one way valves in it which completely defeats the purpose of wearing a mask.....

Yard Sale

Huge Member
People. Read the friggin article. WaPo is providing it to non subscribers for free. It’s a super simple experiment with clear results.
If you didn’t read the article then your are just showing your ignorance. Or being funny like DC....

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
one way valve? not one way...plus all that I own have a removable filter...when you inhale it sure doesn't suck in...or inflate when exhaling...so I havr to wonder the why of any mask wiith a one wat valve which would cause the exhaler to send it out the edges of the mask?
It would seem common sense to me that the thinner the fabric and the larger the holes through the fabric the less effective it is, but I would also bet that it is still better then no mask.I have a buff and a cloth mask that I keep with me depending on what I am doing.

I also had a idiot get on me about wearing a buff while he had a half face respirator on. I had to inform him on how his cool mask had one way valves in it which completely defeats the purpose of wearing a mask.....

Jaydub

The one way masks allow free flow on exhale but close on inhale and force the air to come through the fabric/paper. Which is NOT what you want if you trying to not spread disease. They are to keep out dust and help keep your glasses from fogging up when you exhale. Some are N95 so people think they are good for COVID.

Leadeyedbugger

What Jaydub said basically. Most cartridge style respirators filter air coming in. But air goes straight out unfiltered. Which is why they are not recommended. They don’t filter the air that you breath out at all.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts