SeaTimes - Hundreds of sea lions to be killed on Columbia River in effort to save endangered fish

Thomas Mitchell

corvus ossifragus
WFF Supporter
Haven't seen this posted but apologies if this is a repeat.

The 200 for and 22,000 against in the public comments is very disheartening. Too bad salmon aren't cute.

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
Haven't seen this posted but apologies if this is a repeat.

The 200 for and 22,000 against in the public comments is very disheartening. Too bad salmon aren't cute.

Treating the symptoms but not the cause.

B

bennysbuddy

COVID -19 will kill off thousands of fishermen & solve the problem. Or so says the news media

KillerDave

Have camera, will travel...
The devil is in the details on this one.

The proposal is to allow the removal/euthanization/killing (pick your verb) of 840 sea lions OVER 5 YEARS or about 168 sea lions per year out of the 4,000 to 5,000 that inhabit the Columbia River & tribs.

This amounts to 4% of the sea lion population, which has become more than self sustaining over the last decade.

Essentially, they are only talking about lethal removal of sea lions at the fish ladders. The ODFW did this at Willamette Falls this year and probably saved the upper Willamette tributary steelhead from extinction. The positive results were instantaneous.

Buzzy

Four (or was it five) years ago my friends and I booked two days guided salmon fishing at the mouth of the Columbia. We managed to find a good RV spot right next to where our guide moored his boat. The marina was full of sea lions, crawling up on boats, damn near sinking some of them.

The salmon catching sucked. Of the several dozen fish hooked within the hundreds, yes - HUNDREDS of boats, sea lions captured maybe a third of the fish hooked putting on quite a show eating those stolen salmon.

For our boat, two days angling: one salmon landed/released (adipose fin on even days if I remember right).

Seems to me a few more large caliber projectiles are needed to thin the herd.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
Seems like a good band aid idea. I don't know. Question, why are they budgeting money to kill them humanely? Sell tags, get salmon recovery funds! This "We got to spend money so someones feelings don't get hurt" shit has got to stop.

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
Seems like a good band aid idea. I don't know. Question, why are they budgeting money to kill them humanely? Sell tags, get salmon recovery funds! This "We got to spend money so someones feelings don't get hurt" shit has got to stop.
I can just imagine several hundred yahoos on boats, pitching up and down in the water, all trying to take aim at an animal that show his head above water about every two or three minutes. It'd be a slaughter, and I don't mean for the sea lions.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I can just imagine several hundred yahoos on boats, pitching up and down in the water, all trying to take aim at an animal that show his head above water about every two or three minutes. It'd be a slaughter, and I don't mean for the sea lions.
Probably right. I do enjoy the guns on alligator boat videos though. :)

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts