Big river, little trout

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
I fished the big river yesterday and after I fell down twice you would think I would take my own advice and carry and use my wading staff, but no.
The first part of the river was a no love even though I saw a fish or two rise.
Damn slippy bed rock, stumbling through the cobbles was easier.
The next section up river gave me a little love by a couple little guys, but no hook up.
I did get in some great casting with a some nice long drifts.
Up river some more to a famous section of the river.
Most of the fishers I have seen here have been fishing the riffle into the long pool. Steelheaders I believe.
I was just hoping to hook up to a nice trout or two.
There is a really nice section of pocket water over bed rock before the riffle and pool.
I waded in at the top the the bed rock and started casting to the pockets.
I was rewarded right away with a rise, but missed the hook up.
A couple casts later and I hooked a feisty 8"er. It had to be a little steelhead I figure.
I moved to another seam and pocket and got this guy. DSCF1379.JPG DSCF1379.JPG DSCF1380.JPG

Have I ever told ya how hard it is to get a good pic of a little trout under water.
I've got to remember to take my wading staff.
Happy fishing my friends

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I fished the big river yesterday and after I fell down twice you would think I would take my own advice and carry and use my wading staff, but no.
The next section up river gave me a little love by a couple little guys, but no hook up.
Most of the fishers I have seen here have been fishing the riffle into the long pool. Steelheaders I believe.
There is a really nice section of pocket water over bed rock before the riffle and pool.
A couple casts later and I hooked a feisty 8"er. It had to be a little steelhead I figure.
I moved to another seam and pocket and got this guy. View attachment 250317 View attachment 250317 View attachment 250321

Have I ever told ya how hard it is to get a good pic of a little trout under water.
Happy fishing my friends
Your starting ti be a stumblebum like I am. That's not good. Next thing you know is you'll start tripping over tree roots, Like I do.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jim Darden

I moved to another seam and pocket and got this guy. View attachment 250317 View attachment 250317 View attachment 250321

Happy fishing my friends
Don't know how old you are but after a certain age a wading staff is a necessity if you want to stay dry! I thought your underwater shots were great!

High&NeverDry

"Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch, but by how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed." -John Gierach
My stature is enormous....I was so pleased with them and how beautiful they were!

Attachments

• 20200828_191328.jpg
    20200828_191328.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1106.JPG
    IMG_1106.JPG
    807.2 KB · Views: 11

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
My stature is enormous....I was so pleased with them and how beautiful they were!
This coming spring I'll remember to bring my camera to show ya all the pretty coastal cutts from one of the little blue lines I fished this summer.
I remember a famous TV fisher that said "When you first learn to fish, you just want to catch any fish, then you want to catch bigger fish, then when you are older you just want to go fishing, and if ya can fool any fish with yer hand tied fly it is a bonus

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts