WA State Slashes Hatcheries

D

Deleted member 10700

Florida has a 5.5% corporate income tax rate. Tennessee has a 1% flat tax on income earned from interest and dividends, though in 2019, the tax was 2%. Texas has some of the highest property taxes in the U.S. , they are levied at the local level rather than state level.

So none of the state's you listed relies solely on sales taxes.
Fair enough, I should have been more specific. Every state has property taxes levied at the local level. Every state has some kind of tax not generally understood by the public, like the examples you give. My point stands however, that those states rely on a consumption tax as their primary source of revenue and have some of the healthiest economies in the country.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Is there any effort by Washington state to recover money from Alaskan or Canadian commercial fishing interests for the salmon that are reared in Washington hatcheries? I know this seems like a simple minded question but I’m not sure I’ve ever heard this addressed.

In a word, no. That said, for decades WA and BC informally acknowledged that BC fishermen caught WA Chinook and coho while WA fishermen caught BC sockeye (Fraser River bound). Although never formally calculated, they informally kinda' sorta' agreed it was a wash. However, after the US - Canada salmon treaty of 1985, WA interceptions of Canadian sockeye plummeted while BC interceptions of WA Chinook and coho were far more modest. It's not a wash. Further, those Canadian sockeye are caught by commercial fishermen, while WA Chinook and coho were caught by a mix of commercial, treaty, and recreational fishers. As for Alaska, many who fish commercially in AK are WA state citizens. The upshot is that WDFW doesn't care who benefits from catching WA produced hatchery or wild salmon because WDFW benefits, i.e., WDFW receives WA General Fund money to operate hatcheries. If no salmon were ever caught by anyone, it technically wouldn't matter to WDFW, as long as the GF money continues to roll in. Of course, if no hatchery salmon were caught by WA citizens, the Legislature would likely be interested and possible take some action come budget time. The main product and service of WDFW is that at the end of every fiscal year, the Department can report that all allocated funding was successfully spent. WDFW is keen to remain excessively vague about how much product and service WA citizens, taxpayers, and license buyers receive for the Legislative appropriation spent because good accounting would not make WDFW look good.

D

Deleted member 10700

In a word, no. That said, for decades WA and BC informally acknowledged that BC fishermen caught WA Chinook and coho while WA fishermen caught BC sockeye (Fraser River bound). Although never formally calculated, they informally kinda' sorta' agreed it was a wash. However, after the US - Canada salmon treaty of 1985, WA interceptions of Canadian sockeye plummeted while BC interceptions of WA Chinook and coho were far more modest. It's not a wash. Further, those Canadian sockeye are caught by commercial fishermen, while WA Chinook and coho were caught by a mix of commercial, treaty, and recreational fishers. As for Alaska, many who fish commercially in AK are WA state citizens. The upshot is that WDFW doesn't care who benefits from catching WA produced hatchery or wild salmon because WDFW benefits, i.e., WDFW receives WA General Fund money to operate hatcheries. If no salmon were ever caught by anyone, it technically wouldn't matter to WDFW, as long as the GF money continues to roll in. Of course, if no hatchery salmon were caught by WA citizens, the Legislature would likely be interested and possible take some action come budget time. The main product and service of WDFW is that at the end of every fiscal year, the Department can report that all allocated funding was successfully spent. WDFW is keen to remain excessively vague about how much product and service WA citizens, taxpayers, and license buyers receive for the Legislative appropriation spent because good accounting would not make WDFW look good.
I can only imagine how frustrating this must be for you in particular....

D

Deleted member 10700

Why me in particular? Like most productive tax paying citizens, I'm accustomed to subsidizing all sorts of stuff that doesn't make social or economic sense.
You just seem closer to this situation in particular, I know I get frustrated when things I care about more than average could be improved with a little common sense.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
The WDFW hatchery system does a fantastic job of stocking the lakes here is SE Washington. It's put and take, and i do my fair share of taking. The number of families I see out making use of the resource is heartwarming. It's a well used fishery. My wife only goes out with me when we do this type of fishing. It also provides something for me to do when the rivers are not open.
The steelhead/salmon efforts seem like a complete bust to me.. I've caught 3 salmon and 5 steelhead in the last 3 years, with way too many hours of effort.
The former hatchery manager I met on the river the other day confirmed all the fish I'm getting now are wild production redbands (for the most part).

Chris Johnson

Have to get everyone back to work... covid be damned.. we can't complain about a lack of revenue and not work for fear of getting sick at the same time.. one or the other HAS to be reality. It is impossible to have both...
If we had a federal gov. with a plan from the start, that put time, energy and resources into testing and contact tracing we would probably be at a point where we could be back to full operation. 167,072 have died of covid, 1,755 in Washington.

KerryS

Ignored Member
How about we get rid of all the other taxes & go with a state income tax, the economy will get better when people go back to work giving people more money on unemployment than they make working is only going to add to the debt & cause people to not look for jobs
This is nothing more than insulting to the hardest working workforce of the most productive and most innovative country in the world. Americans would rather work than sit on their ass.

Chris Johnson

If you consider the national deficit - and why wouldn’t you - we’re broke AF
It's not like a business or household budget, people from around the world buy US debt, because we are good for it. If debt becomes too high compared to GDP it's not good, but we are far from that( US is # 8 @ 106.70%, Japan is #1 @ 237.54%).

B

bennysbuddy

This is nothing more than insulting to the hardest working workforce of the most productive and most innovative country in the world. Americans would rather work than sit on their ass.
The fact is where I work is many of the junior employees in my shop That have not maxed out on the pay scale are useing the COVID-19 scare to not return to work. They actually make more money on unemployeement with the federal extra $600.00 dollar add on then they would if they came to work. They aren’t stupid & are very good at math.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts