WA State Slashes Hatcheries

jwg

Oh boy. Back to the Ignore Button.
yup this thread has shown me how extremely well my selective ignore list is working for me.

I can see peoples reactions, and know that what I am ignoring should stay there so I don't get sucked in
I have no desire to hear others recapitulate the talking points of whatever news entertainment they choose to consume.

I can always 'Show ignored content' in cases where the thread is sticking to fishing.

@Salmo_g thanks for the excellent content, and for putting up with the rest of us!

Jay

Last edited:
B

bennysbuddy

When I bought my first fishing license in Washington State, I think I paid $3.50 for a year. It enabled me to fish where I wanted and the limit was 16 fish over 6" in length. All punch cards were free. You only needed a punch card for Steelhead and Salmon. They didn't have all the nilly dilly ones you need now.
Was that when Washington was a territory before statehood ?

Tim Ihle

Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife faces 15% budget cuts – salmon and trout hatcheries to close
News

by
editorial staff
-
14 August 2020
“Why cut something that’s going to generate sales tax?”. State faces large cuts to salmon and trout production.
The Lens reports that the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is facing deep cuts to its hatchery capacities, mandated by Governor Jay Inslee.
The Governor’s Office of Financial Management provided budget development instructions to state agencies, asking them to identify 15 per-cent reduction – around USD 24 million in spending cuts – in State General Fund. For WDFW, those reductions include:
USD 5.2 million slashed from salmon and steelhead hatchery production as well as USD 2 million from trout hatchery production.
“Under the proposed budget reduction plan, six salmon and steelhead hatcheries would be closed, while four trout hatcheries would be closed. The result would be a 7.2 per-cent and 12.3 per-cent reduction in statewide salmon and trout production, respectively. As part of the budget cuts, hatchery maintenance and repairs for critical infrastructure would be reduced by 32 percent,” wrote The Lens.
The publication reported that Commissioner Dave Graybill said fewer fishing opportunities would “reduce our ability to sell licenses when we reduce the amount of fish being produced both inland and on Puget Sound and the coast. Wherever these occur it’s going to create ill will.”
Commissioner Don McIsaac asked, “why cut something that’s going to generate sales tax?”
“The lack of sales tax is why we’re in this problem. (We) cut $2 million and then cut another $5 million because of the impacts to the state on sales tax,” added McIsaac.
The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife operates dozens of fish hatcheries around the state with fish raised for sport fishing as well as commercial fishing.

This is the best news I’ve heard in many many years. I’ll pay for a chance to drive the dozer right through the middle of them all! Hallelujah!!

wetline dave

Tim,
I can share your view point on salmon hatcheries to a degree but trout hatcheries is another issue.

Hatchery trout is what feeds the lake fishing in this state as far as trout are concerned. There are not many lakes that can self sustain, and by the way rainbows in the lakes has never been natural. They are an introduce species.

Dave

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Steelhead hatcheries except for a few instances are pretty much a thing of the past as it is now anyway in the Puget Sound area.
If you wish salmon hatcheries to be gone, either you don’t enjoy fishing for salmon in Washington or will enjoy not doing so in the future.
SF

Creatch'r

Hesitant Member
Snappy comeback. Did you come up with this on your own?

Kerry young people aren’t passionate enough about working to be dumb enough to go to work and make the same or less, when they could collect a check with no strings attached and do as they please. I’ve worked the entire pandemic never missed a beat, my industry relies on a lot of young blood and it’s very absent. Probably no correlation between that and the $1300 free weekly check?

Grizzmill55

Been listening to some John McMillan podcasts recently (steelhead biologist for TU on the OP). He has some interesting thoughts on hatcheries. Some rivers are so depleted of wild steelhead that they need the hatcheries in order to have any fish. And some have wild populations that are hurt by hatchery production. Knowing how much WA spends on hatcheries, the money spent on hatcheries in rivers with good populations of wild fish would be better spent on creating better habitat for the wild fish. While the rivers with depleted wild runs can operate hatcheries in order to maintain a fishery.

I don’t know a ton about hatcheries personally, but what he’s saying is certainly interesting.

Rob Allen

Kerry young people aren’t passionate enough about working to be dumb enough to go to work and make the same or less, when they could collect a check with no strings attached and do as they please. I’ve worked the entire pandemic never missed a beat, my industry relies on a lot of young blood and it’s very absent. Probably no correlation between that and the $1300 free weekly check?

My experience with young workers has been mixed but certainly leaning towards what you say..
Kids need to learn work ethic in school.

Yes you have to work your ass off doing jobs you hate to make a go of it..

Creatch'r

Hesitant Member
My experience with young workers has been mixed but certainly leaning towards what you say..
Kids need to learn work ethic in school.

Yes you have to work your ass off doing jobs you hate to make a go of it..

Rob, if given the choice, would you collect $1300 a week and fish, hike, bike, golf etc as you please or would you wake up at 6am and drive to work 40 hours a week for $1300?

Pretty easy choice for most people regardless of age who are being honest with themselves.

Rob Allen

Rob, if given the choice, would you collect $1300 a week and fish, hike, bike, golf etc as you please or would you wake up at 6am and drive to work 40 hours a week for $1300?

Pretty easy choice for most people regardless of age who are being honest with themselves.

Pretty easy choice for people without charecter..

I worl 40 hours a week for much less than 1300..

The last time I was on unemployment around 1993
I was required to be actively seeking employment..

1300 a week for unemployment benefits ia ridiculously high..

To those currently collecting it, you're welcome.

bpatton

Kicked
We need to make sacrifices regardless of the times to get our spending under control. This sucks for fishing in the short term and quite possibly the long run. The problem is that we became used to the good old days that was propped up by an unsustainable system. Now we are paying for it.

Right now my home fishery is Pueblo Reservoir. The fishing in it is mostly for walleye which are hatchery raised, face book is full of limits on stringers and people complaining that the fishing isn't what it was 15 years ago. Pueblo is a deep clear lake and the main source of food is gizzard shad, few crayfish, few panfish. the fish are largely stunted for their age. The habitat and water quality are great there's just no food. I am pretty confident that they'll see a fishery collapse here too. There is not enough supply to meet demand and there is nothing that anyone can do about it except decrease demand.

Wild reproduction is the only way to sustain fisheries. and it's really cheap.
Well holy shit Rob……..we agree on something
And to think I was going to skip to page 6

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts