WA State Slashes Hatcheries

KerryS

Ignored Member
Kerry young people aren’t passionate enough about working to be dumb enough to go to work and make the same or less, when they could collect a check with no strings attached and do as they please. I’ve worked the entire pandemic never missed a beat, my industry relies on a lot of young blood and it’s very absent. Probably no correlation between that and the $1300 free weekly check?
My neighbor, early thirties, works for Boeing and couldn’t wait to get back to work during their shutdown. He was happy as hell when they started back up. My son, a message therapist, was more concerned about getting back to his clients than collecting unemployment benefits, many having medical conditions that he works with their medical teams to develop treatments for. Anecdotal, I know but these are not the only ones I see.

DavidJP

I wonder if salmon hatcheries are really all that good for the salmon populations of particular rivers in any case. We're probably raising fish that are adapted to hatchery conditions, changing their genetics over time and contaminating the genetics of the wild population making them less able to succeed in the natural non hatchery environment. So might not be so bad in the long run.

smc

Oh but then I kept reading

I was surprised by Rob‘s use of the word “bludgeon”, especially in the context of using Covid as a political weapon. Seemed a bit out of his wheelhouse.

So I did a google and was not surprised at all to see that this concept is a verbatim Sean Hannity gem.

I guess I’m just relieved to know that Rob is still Rob.

Creatch'r

Bored member
My neighbor, early thirties, works for Boeing and couldn’t wait to get back to work during their shutdown. He was happy as hell when they started back up. My son, a message therapist, was more concerned about getting back to his clients than collecting unemployment benefits, many having medical conditions that he works with their medical teams to develop treatments for. Anecdotal, I know but these are not the only ones I see.

Kerry that sounds like two examples where taking unemployment would be a pay cut. Money motivates people, when you get a pay raise to NOT work it makes for easy choices for many. There are thousands missing from my industry despite having the work to do. And I don’t blame many for the choice.

Creatch'r

Bored member
Pretty easy choice for people without charecter..

I worl 40 hours a week for much less than 1300..

The last time I was on unemployment around 1993
I was required to be actively seeking employment..

1300 a week for unemployment benefits ia ridiculously high..

To those currently collecting it, you're welcome.

You aren’t required to actively seek work right now for an undetermined amount of time. It’s free vacation for many right now. Max unemployment is $700 I believe and feds put $600 on top of it.... per week.

bpatton

Kicked
I was surprised by Rob‘s use of the word “bludgeon”, especially in the context of using Covid as a political weapon. Seemed a bit out of his wheelhouse.

So I did a google and was not surprised at all to see that this concept is a verbatim Sean Hannity gem.

I guess I’m just relieved to know that Rob is still Rob.
I should have known.

bpatton

Kicked

I’m not sure why you’re blaming the people looking out for themselves rather than the government that let it happen.

Rob, if given the choice, would you collect $1300 a week and fish, hike, bike, golf etc as you please or would you wake up at 6am and drive to work 40 hours a week for $1300?

Pretty easy choice for most people regardless of age who are being honest with themselves.

Ok millennial.

Rob Allen

You aren’t required to actively seek work right now for an undetermined amount of time. It’s free vacation for many right now. Max unemployment is $700 I believe and feds put $600 on top of it.... per week.

Money that is adding to our debt and must be repaid somehow by someone.

Here is the scary part, for all those not working? The economy is carrying along nicely without you. At least here in Colorado.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I wonder if salmon hatcheries are really all that good for the salmon populations of particular rivers in any case. We're probably raising fish that are adapted to hatchery conditions, changing their genetics over time and contaminating the genetics of the wild population making them less able to succeed in the natural non hatchery environment. So might not be so bad in the long run.

We could certainly stop hatchery salmon production in some rivers but I doubt the wild fish are going to magically rebound to historic or large fishable numbers.
We could enjoy watching what is left of them.
SF

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts