WA State Slashes Hatcheries

Creatch'r

Hesitant Member
Another way to look at this is why are wages so low that an emergency UI package meant to get people through a pandemic where work has been temporarily suspended pays them more? Some of the problem might be companies don’t pay their workers a livable wage.

Makes me wonder why so many people are ok with being broke and working working minimum wage jobs where they are under appreciated in a role that will never lead to growth when there is incredible demand for tradesman by companies willing to train. Electricians, carpenters, welders etc etc.... all hiring year round with more work then they know what to do with, but alas.... here we are.

If you live within 1 hour of Seattle and you don’t have a livable wage I’ll be your life coach free of charge drop me a PM. The only rule is you can’t say: “I don’t want to do that.” At that point I can’t help you.

bpatton

Kicked
Makes me wonder why so many people are ok with being broke and working working minimum wage jobs where they are under appreciated in a role that will never lead to growth when there is incredible demand for tradesman by companies willing to train. Electricians, carpenters, welders etc etc.... all hiring year round with more work then they know what to do with, but alas.... here we are.

If you live within 1 hour of Seattle and you don’t have a livable wage I’ll be your life coach free of charge drop me a PM. The only rule is you can’t say: “I don’t want to do that.” At that point I can’t help you.
I bounced around in jobs a lot before going into nursing. In my humble experience, it was never that simple. The guys offering the job always had friends they’d hire, there was always some random certification you needed. It was never that simple.

Ken Hunter

Back in the 50’s the annual steelhead catch was about 50k. Hatcheries were introduced so we could catch even more fish. The population has declined steadily ever since. Native fish are bigger and reproduce better. The State has pushed the hatcheries but now it seems they finally understand that the salmon and steelhead do a better job when given the proper habitat. It took decades to screw it up. It won’t come back overnight.

Matt Paluch

WFF Premium
Back in the 50’s the annual steelhead catch was about 50k. Hatcheries were introduced so we could catch even more fish. The population has declined steadily ever since. Native fish are bigger and reproduce better. The State has pushed the hatcheries but now it seems they finally understand that the salmon and steelhead do a better job when given the proper habitat. It took decades to screw it up. It won’t come back overnight.
You nailed it in my opinion. It is also going to be a difficult process to reverse the degradation of ocean habitat caused by climate change. Fortunately, some species seem to be doing better with the warmer conditions. Others will be lucky to endure much longer, at least at this latitude.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts