Initiative to stop non-I netting in PS region?

DrHare

The Coho King
Ok, for many years there have been attempts to pass laws putting sport fishermen at the top due to economic justification or other. How long do we have to watch non-I netting fish in front of us? Just a part, but why can not a group do an initiative to eliminate non-I netting inside Puget Sound. Let stop complaining and do what our legislature wont. At a minimum, it would open two more days of fishing! For instance, the non-I net in front of hatcheries every other day the Tribes don't. M-TH is all nets. While we are at it, how about include language in the initiative that hatcheries need their escapement before netting starts, or at least a portion of the head run. Several hatcheries don't, and are told to use eggs from other hatcheries. Needless, where is a group that start an initiative?

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Non-Indian netting in Puget Sound doesn't infringe all that much on recreational salmon fishing. For quite a few years now, PS salmon management gives priority for Chinook and coho fishing to the recreation sector. The non-Indian nets in PS mainly target chum and pink salmon, when there are any.

I agree that non-Indian, or non-treaty, commercial salmon fishing in WA has been an anachronism for decades. The treaty fleet is capable of mopping up excess harvestable salmon and enjoys the higher legal priority. We've been at a "what's the point" condition regarding non-treaty salmon fishing for a long time, but it continues because the status quo is always easier than changing.

As for an initiative, that was tried. Last time was in the 90s if I recall correctly. It's fairly easy to run an initiative signature gathering effort. But the effort came up short when it came to funding a successful campaign. The NT commercials, and especially the fish processors, and even the treaty tribes all came out in opposition with a pretty smooth campaign. And the initiative tanked at the polls.

At the rate things are going, it shouldn't take too much longer before NT netting dies because it's becoming economically nonviable.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Ok, for many years there have been attempts to pass laws putting sport fishermen at the top due to economic justification or other. How long do we have to watch non-I netting fish in front of us? Just a part, but why can not a group do an initiative to eliminate non-I netting inside Puget Sound. Let stop complaining and do what our legislature wont. At a minimum, it would open two more days of fishing! For instance, the non-I net in front of hatcheries every other day the Tribes don't. M-TH is all nets. While we are at it, how about include language in the initiative that hatcheries need their escapement before netting starts, or at least a portion of the head run. Several hatcheries don't, and are told to use eggs from other hatcheries. Needless, where is a group that start an initiative?
If you are going to throw acronyms out in a paragraph, you could at least let us in on what they mean.

DrHare

The Coho King
Non-Indian netting in Puget Sound doesn't infringe all that much on recreational salmon fishing. For quite a few years now, PS salmon management gives priority for Chinook and coho fishing to the recreation sector. The non-Indian nets in PS mainly target chum and pink salmon, when there are any.

I agree that non-Indian, or non-treaty, commercial salmon fishing in WA has been an anachronism for decades. The treaty fleet is capable of mopping up excess harvestable salmon and enjoys the higher legal priority. We've been at a "what's the point" condition regarding non-treaty salmon fishing for a long time, but it continues because the status quo is always easier than changing.

As for an initiative, that was tried. Last time was in the 90s if I recall correctly. It's fairly easy to run an initiative signature gathering effort. But the effort came up short when it came to funding a successful campaign. The NT commercials, and especially the fish processors, and even the treaty tribes all came out in opposition with a pretty smooth campaign. And the initiative tanked at the polls.

At the rate things are going, it shouldn't take too much longer before NT netting dies because it's becoming economically nonviable.
Disagree. Research Hoodsport and Chehalis. It cuts the days you can actually fish by two days a week. NI catch counted against Rec. Rec gets about 2 percent of the pie. Just based on numbers don't know why you think insignificant? 30 years worth organizing, or we just all will moan. Economics would make easy to pass.

DrHare

The Coho King
I must be a nitwit as well
No, probably luckier than fishing around Non-I. And, these non-i netters are new to Hoodsport. WDFW staff told me "allowing netting in front of sport hatchery to make up for loss in SPORT fishing on the Skokomish." They just killed the only big sport fishery on Hood Canal! Remember this hatchery never gets its escapement for brood stock....because of the addition of non-I.

B

bennysbuddy

No, probably luckier than fishing around Non-I. And, these non-i netters are new to Hoodsport. WDFW staff told me "allowing netting in front of sport hatchery to make up for loss in SPORT fishing on the Skokomish." They just killed the only big sport fishery on Hood Canal! Remember this hatchery never gets its escapement for brood stock....because of the addition of non-I.
I thought it was the op or NI

DrHare

The Coho King
I'll admit that I know very little about NI netting. Is there a bi-catch issue with the netting?
Your lucky. Plauged me since following Dave Hamilton out of Chehalis group and looking at numbers and meetings. Youl find that non-i quota is 98 percent of the Rec portion. The tried a logical bill a few years back based on Rec paying 98 of bill and other economic factors. There are few costal reps that can anything touching non-i...their voters. Time for some group to do an initiative versus just being a watchdog. Who would not contribute? I'll write the initiative.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
What can't you figure M-TH. Non-i. NI
No, I'm just and old man that has had to sift through many different acronyms in his life time. These are some I have never heard of. And anymore smart ass answers and on to ignore you go.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler

Not sure what numbers you are looking at, but up until last year the Hoodsport hatchery was getting 35-45k chum back per year.
I believe the goal is around 6,200 for egg take and they got back 5,800 last year. That is quite a drop but to say they never meet escapement doesn’t seem correct except for last year.
McKernan needs about 3,000 for egg take and got back 12,000 last year, which was also a significant drop in return.
I’m not sure what is needed at the Entiat hatchery for egg take and how many fish returned.
It isn’t pretty, but it is a wipe out fishery on the chum. I personally am more upset on what the netting does to late run wild coho, jumbo searuns and wild chums then to the hatchery chum.
With that said, Hoodsport is far from the only place sports anglers can catch chums on the canal.

With a rather narrow return time for chums, I’d say searun cutthroat with their year round fishing opportunities offer the biggest sport fishing opportunity on the canal.
SF

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 10700

No, I'm just and old man that has had to sift through many different acronyms in his life time. These are some I have never heard of. And anymore smart ass answers and on to ignore you go.
Non-I = Non-Indian or Non-Treaty (same thing)

M-Th = Monday-Thursday

Maybe that will keep me off ignore for another day:cool:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts