Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pass Lake - Toxic Algae

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Phil dingle 
#1 ·
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Toxic Algae present in Pass Lake
Until further notice, people should not swim in Pass Lake, drink lake water or allow pets to access the lake water due to the presence of toxic algae. Areas of scum should be avoided while boating. Pass Lake continues to be a catch-and-release only lake.

In recent weeks, Skagit County lakes have been showing evidence of significant blue green algae blooms. Water samples at Pass Lake show the presence of blue green algae toxins, including Anatoxin-a and Microcystin. Anatoxin-a is an acute neurotoxin and Microcystin can cause liver damage. To learn more about cyanobacteria and their toxins please visit EPA website: https://www.epa.gov/cyanohabs

You can keep up to date on local monitoring efforts, see examples of harmful algae blooms or report a bloom here: https://www.nwtoxicalgae.org/Default.aspx

If you have additional questions please call Public Health at 360-416-1500.

###​

#4 ·
Drove past Pass today and it still looks like pea soup....the entire lake...or as much as I could see.

Does the algae consume all the oxygen so fish kills are to be expected?

Just wondering what to expect later this fall or next year.
Did you notice it smelled a bit like a fish/aquarium store? Drove by it last Sunday and my wife and kids kept saying it smelled like an aquarium. I can't smell anything, so I couldn't tell.

#7 ·
I've never smelled the lake like I did last week. As soon as you got within 200 yards or so down the road you could smell it. It won't affect the fishing but it does form some nasty, thick fly-coating slicks in certain parts of the lake.

#10 ·
@sportsman I'm not sure if that was directed at me, but in case you were making an assumption I drove right past the lake twice and never casted a fly.

The algae is likely to worsen through the last bits of summer and will last into the fall. Typically once we get some colder temps it'll start to peter out, but may not clear until November or later. Depends on the weather and probably other things I don't fully understand.

#12 ·
Like Tim states, It just this every year and fishes just fine. Once we have some colder temperatures, it will clear right up and not miss a beat.

Please up your tippet to a minimum of 2X to get the fish in quicker. I promise you, these fish are not leader shy despite the pressure the lake sees. When the want to eat, they will do so without hesitation.

#13 ·
Went by there yesterday and it looked like a scum of pea soup. Saw an angler rigging up with 2 two ounce sinkers, bait and a surf rod. Talked to him and told him it was fly fishing only, and he would likely be fined. He said he didn't know and had fished it yesterday with no problems. I stayed until he started to break down his gear to leave.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.