Pale Evening Dun hatch ... I'm at a loss

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Your flies are looking better and better. I’d fish those in a heartbeat. If you want to slim down the bodies even more you could try some light wire dry fly hooks. Those hooks look fairly stout for tiny dries.

Edit: I’d try using about a third to half less shuck material which will also help slim things down some more.

Hendodesign

Your flies are looking better and better. I’d fish those in a heartbeat. If you want to slim down the bodies even more you could try some light wire dry fly hooks. Those hooks look fairly stout for tiny dries.

Edit: I’d try using about a third to half less shuck material which will also help slim things down some more.

I'll have to look around and see what I have ... those hooks are Daiichi 1110 with the straight oversized eye. I like tying the smaller guys on those as it makes tying them on slightly easier when Im on the river.

kmudgn

If the OP listens to everyone's suggestion on the right tie the hatch will be over by the time he gets back to the water!

tallguy

I know the focus of this thread so far as been the flies, but I didn't see you mention what size tippet you're using. You mentioned 5x leader and another 3-4 ft of tippet. You also mentioned catching fish in the riffles but not the calm, smooth water. If you're not using 6x or (even better) 7x, I'd try that - maybe you're not getting a natural drift and that might be why they are refusing your flies. Just a hunch. Good luck!

Really good point above. It depend on the water, but I often fish leaders of 13-16' for technical trout on smoother waters.. feed them a long slow drift.

I think you can probably take out alot of body bulk by simply adding less dubbing to the thread when you wrap. Fine dubbing, applied very lightly, with no over wraps, gets you a slim body.

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
Cool thread
L8VPdFIT_o.gif

kmudgn

I do want to add one suggestion:
You don't really know what the fish are taking unless you actually see them gulp a fly. You may think they are taking PMDs, but whatever you toss is ignored so no hook ups.
Get yourself some fiberglass window screen material and cut out a section about 12x6. Use the screen to seine the water and check to see what bugs you see on it. The seining will get you the info about what bugs are really there, many you cant see, or just don't notice. Often the species on the screen are a big suprrise.
I keep my screen rolled up and banded to my wading staff when not in use. I have the ends of the screen attached to small strips of wood to make it easier to handle & attach to staff. Also the woods keeps it floating if you drop it

Shad

Your flies are looking good! (Better than mine; I'm only providing criticisms based on what I've been shown by much better tiers than I.)

I would echo the remark that your hooks look a little heavy for dries, and they are probably adding bulk overall. I personally would go sparser on the tails; mayflies only have two things sticking out the back. 3-4 strands of moose or similar should be plenty.

Report back when you solve the puzzle! Fun thread.

Hendodesign

Your flies are looking good! (Better than mine; I'm only providing criticisms based on what I've been shown by much better tiers than I.)

I would echo the remark that your hooks look a little heavy for dries, and they are probably adding bulk overall. I personally would go sparser on the tails; mayflies only have two things sticking out the back. 3-4 strands of moose or similar should be plenty.

Report back when you solve the puzzle! Fun thread.

Thinned our the tailing materials and had some sz 18 firehole sticks for comparison to the 1110 big eye. The firehole version is a bit thinner.

17BD37AF-C2A8-4573-A9A0-BFDEAE797E14.jpeg

Creatch'r

Hesitant Member
Thinned our the tailing materials and had some sz 18 firehole sticks for comparison to the 1110 big eye. The firehole version is a bit thinner.

View attachment 251760

One more food for thought. I’ve been in your shoes struggling with the last light bite same time of year, in a seemingly identical situation and what unlocked it for me was realizing the fish were actually keyed in on caddis pupae and an emerging caddis pattern or soft hackle trailed 12” behind an EHC was lights out. Lesson learned was to not be fooled into thinking the most abundant insect in the air was what the fish where feeding on. Some of those “dinks” may turn out to be heavy just a warning!

Your flies looking great! Hope you get’r dialed in!

Hendodesign

One more food for thought. I’ve been in your shoes struggling with the last light bite same time of year, in a seemingly identical situation and what unlocked it for me was realizing the fish were actually keyed in on caddis pupae and an emerging caddis pattern or soft hackle trailed 12” behind an EHC was lights out. Lesson learned was to not be fooled into thinking the most abundant insect in the air was what the fish where feeding on. Some of those “dinks” may turn out to be heavy just a warning!

Your flies looking great! Hope you get’r dialed in!

That is a solid idea given that a majority of the fish I've caught on dries on the urban river have been using an elk hair caddis ... although I've found the upper section of fishable water more consistent with EHC than other parts. I've tied up a few John Barr graphic caddis as a trailer. I got his book this last year and have caught quite a few fish on the slumpbuster this year.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
That is a solid idea given that a majority of the fish I've caught on dries on the urban river have been using an elk hair caddis ... although I've found the upper section of fishable water more consistent with EHC than other parts. I've tied up a few John Barr graphic caddis as a trailer. I got his book this last year and have caught quite a few fish on the slumpbuster this year.
I think he is on to something. Think about a small caddis emerger. I like CDC.

Denny W

This may help. I've fished dries only for years. All of my flies #20 and smaller I merely tie a thread body and then what wing and tail you want to use. Easy to tie and very effective My favorite fly is a sparkle dun

Creatch'r

Hesitant Member

Last nights session was initially a chubby show and then after a few fly changes they were all over the emerging caddis size 16 dropped off the back of a purple chubby. Been really liking the “crime scene caddis” from umpqua I bought a few and will definitely start tying some. That graphic caddis looks great!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts