Pale Evening Dun hatch ... I'm at a loss

Hendodesign

Last nights session was initially a chubby show and then after a few fly changes they were all over the emerging caddis size 16 dropped off the back of a purple chubby. Been really liking the “crime scene caddis” from umpqua I bought a few and will definitely start tying some. That graphic caddis looks great!

Yesterday afternoon I caught like 10 dinks on a gum dropper in green so the caddis pupa are still getting a lot of attention. It was also a sz. 16 dangled 2' under a CFO Chernobyl ant tied small in a 14. They seem to be favoring faster water right now.

duggiefresh

Yeah it’s next to impossible to see the fly even with a tiny foam post which is why I always drop it behind another dry that I can actually see. Thanks ScottP I’ll be tying some for sure.

Good tip. It feels like I'm adding white calf tail to most of my dries, because I'm having a difficult time seeing them. :/

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Good tip. It feels like I'm adding white calf tail to most of my dries, because I'm having a difficult time seeing them. :/

Also listen, do some false casts into a flat piece of water/lighting where you can see the fly land so that if you see or hear (particularly in riffles or low light) a rise in the vicinity of where you think you fly might be, set the hook.

Sometimes dry fly fishing with small stuff, especially in moving water can be very similar to sight nymphing. If you see a flash or hear a splash near where your fly is, set the hook.

I fish this style a ton. Dark olive, minimal wing material, basically a thread body. I fish them with no lead fly and have a lot of success. If you do it enough you’ll eventually get a good sense, even without seeing the fly well or at all, if you should set the hook using non traditional indications you had a take (sound, flash right under the surface, etc.). Take a look at the flies below. The one on the left has not been fished. I can tell because the wing and tail has not been touched. Those on the right have a lot of the wing and most of the tail ripped out (you can also see tippet attached to them).

246BFF5C-0740-4DD1-9DBC-F6F58163A9DB.jpeg

You might consider buying some flies to see what works. I tie streamers, terrestrials and caddis and that is about it. I do not have the patience for the small stuff and I just lose to many of them due to light tippet, etc. to make it worth it. Maybe find something that works and then replicate.

PV_Premier

Black posted flies also have their place. On high glare water, they show up very nicely.

Even better is a "bivisible" fly, which has a half black, half white post. Not too many types of water that you cannot see that fly on.

Proheli

Go sparse.

Then, go sparser.

Lastly, go even sparser.

Once you hit it right, its amazing.

Tallguy, brian, and now here is the perfect summary from GOTY. I'm always trying to throw something that looks fat and juicy like a cheeseburger right off the grill. I need a t-shirt to wear when I go in the fly shop that says, "Don't sell this guy any big bushy flies." Even in the saltwater shop today, the guy said, I don't know Dude, those look pretty big to me." I was like, What, are you sure? He just stood there nodding.

Hendodesign

This seems to have somehow not been brought up. Rise forms and reading those rise forms will often reveal a lot of information about what fish are actually keying in on.
It was brought up pretty early ... the rise forms were some fish jumping out of the water. I can report back that the comparaduns worked well. I caught quite a few on a size 20 comparadun in a PMD color but they were some small fish. Finally worked though ... finally caught some trout on the glass water section of the river.

Lakota

Now that this urban stream is closed, I guess I'll weigh in. I have had many frustrating late summer nights trying every iteration of pale morning doodad flies at those risers who constantly throw up their middle fin and sip naturals inches from my presentation. I cracked it a couple weeks ago with a rusty, crumpled up size 18 that had come unravelled. and was missing everything but the tail. Caught a couple real ones and returned to my rig after dark with all 4 windows intact. Great session in my book!

Reactions: Zak

tallguy

Now that this urban stream is closed, I guess I'll weigh in. I have had many frustrating late summer nights trying every iteration of pale morning doodad flies at those risers who constantly throw up their middle fin and sip naturals inches from my presentation. I cracked it a couple weeks ago with a rusty, crumpled up size 18 that had come unravelled. and was missing everything but the tail. Caught a couple real ones and returned to my rig after dark with all 4 windows intact. Great session in my book!
It sounds like after all that advice, we had to go even sparser than we thought. Just thread and a tail got it done it seems. Good to know.

tallguy

I am guessing here, but if you stepped down to size 22 or 24, you could have added the wings and a turn of hackle back in..

But still sparse. That goes without saying now.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts