Grande Ronde River

RickG

Yesterday the wife and I was out and about looking for new camping area's. A year ago in July we bought ourselves a travel trailer and have been out and about putting it to use. I have been on the search for a place to go fishing. Her not so much. but our first outing was at Hilgard state park. Nice place but we stayed to close to the freeway. That is neither here nor there. I kept looking at the river that runs by the place. Looked fishy. spent several hours watching the water. Especially in the morning. Was looking for any kind of rise on the water. Never saw anything move. Not once. Ok fast forward a year. This last weekend we stopped by again. Went farther into the park. Like down to the end of it. I had to go look. Wonder of wonders as soon as I got to the bank fish jumped. It wasn't big but it was a swimmer and he was feeding. My bloods pumping now. I am still thinking in a couple of weeks when we go out I am bringing my gear and giving it a shot.

BaldBob

Retired- Navy Captain,Forester,Forestry Consultant
The Grande Ronde in that stretch isn't known as very productive. You are likely to have somewhat better fishing near Catherine Creek State Park ( just outside of Union- about 10mi. fm Hilgard) in just as nice a park in much quieter surroundings.

Reactions: GAT

Rob Allen

Yesterday the wife and I was out and about looking for new camping area's. A year ago in July we bought ourselves a travel trailer and have been out and about putting it to use. I have been on the search for a place to go fishing. Her not so much. but our first outing was at Hilgard state park. Nice place but we stayed to close to the freeway. That is neither here nor there. I kept looking at the river that runs by the place. Looked fishy. spent several hours watching the water. Especially in the morning. Was looking for any kind of rise on the water. Never saw anything move. Not once. Ok fast forward a year. This last weekend we stopped by again. Went farther into the park. Like down to the end of it. I had to go look. Wonder of wonders as soon as I got to the bank fish jumped. It wasn't big but it was a swimmer and he was feeding. My bloods pumping now. I am still thinking in a couple of weeks when we go out I am bringing my gear and giving it a shot.

It looks fishy, but isn't, at least not like you'd expect.Try Minam State park on the Wallowa River..

GAT

Dumbfounded
Long, long ago (when I was just a smolt) they once planted rainbow around Hilgard so you could catch the planters... but for whatever reason, while it does look fishy, it hasn't been a great place to fish in decades.

You're ahead to try the fisheries mentioned above.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Many years ago...which the older I get seems in reality much longer ago than I remember... Anyway , on a museum "business" trip across OR I had a great week of visiting small museums to consult ...I also brought my fly gear... I have wonderful fly fishing memories of the Grand Ronde and the Powder... I have not been back...Dammit!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
Well...Fly fisherman are notoriusly bad spellerz...like booger/bugger...

theleo91386

Four out of five people can't f'n spell Grand Ronde. I have decided to never again share any information about the Grand Ronde with anybody who can't be bothered to spell Grand Ronde correctly.
Even fewer people realize that the river and valley got their name from the French trappers that were the first white men in that country. Great Round just doesn't sound quite as good as Grande Ronde.

To the original post:
I wouldn't go there for fishing. I've never known it to even be OK. If it has to be that river I'd highly recommend going further down it. Either down towards Looking Glass or further Down towards Troy. There's been a few better spots mentioned and if you want I could give you a few more. Since some on the forum are a bit touchy about naming names and GPS coordinates, I'll refrain from saying more on the open forum.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Niggling about details: captious, finicky, overparticular and persnickety or perhaps just nitpicking?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts