Looking for switch rod recommendations

Brett28b

Just moved to California and have been adapting to targeting Corbina in the surf instead of the east coast stripers I’m used to.
I have been using a Beulah opal 7/8 switch “surf” rod with a rio OBS. I can make spey and overhead cast easily with this setup.
But it’s a little heavy for where I’m fishing. I would love to get the 5/6 version of the same rod but it’s out of my budget. Looking for any suggestions for a reasonably priced alternative.
Thanks!
Brett

wetswinger

If your overhead casting, find a fast action switch. Switch rods are spey oriented and as such, they may have a softer tip. I had an Echo SR and liked it but it will feel soft compared to your Beulah. A 6# switch will use a 400+ grain weight line same as your Beulah so make sure to check the lines ratings, you may want a 4 or 5 weight switch. TFO Axiom 2 is rumored to be good overhead stick.

Last edited:

wetswinger

Echo Beach has smaller weight rods rated as single handers. They are two handed rods made for the surf or beach and are reasonably priced. Lots of positive reviews on this rod. Designed from overhead casting..

Bagman

If your fishing off the beach and over the top of breaking waves you just may want to look into a light weight Spey rod in the 13+ range to get over the waves the longer rods will also let you to make longer casts as well. Because of health problems ( hands and elbows) I’m uncomfortable using a single hand rod for any amount of time and I don’t Spey cast but For overhead casting I like the Sage Z Axis switch at 11 feet long it works great for beach fishing in the Sound but we don’t get a lot of waves to cast over here.

PV_Premier

With corbina (assuming that you are sight fishing to them in the first wave wash) accurate casts are more important than long ones. I would get a 9.5-10' single hand 6-7wt instead which will be more accurate and lighter in hand.

An Echo OHS might also be worth considering for crossover casting purposes.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
There a couple guys on the SC Surf fishing board that have the Cobina on flies game pretty well dialed in and they are all using single handers.
SF

Brett28b

Thanks for all the info! Completely understand the points in regards to accuracy and a single hand rod. I’m definitely fishing the first wave wash most of the time. But I absolutely hate fishing with a stripping basket and with the 2 hander I don’t need one and can have the whole head out all the time and easily manage enough running line. With a single handed rod I need to make false casts just to get the head out. So I feel like what I may lack a little in accuracy I gain in speed. I’m new to corbina so maybe I’m completely wrong. But definitely hate fishing with a basket.

Thoughts on using a single hander with an OPST commando head?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Thanks for all the info! Completely understand the points in regards to accuracy and a single hand rod. I’m definitely fishing the first wave wash most of the time. But I absolutely hate fishing with a stripping basket and with the 2 hander I don’t need one and can have the whole head out all the time and easily manage enough running line. With a single handed rod I need to make false casts just to get the head out. So I feel like what I may lack a little in accuracy I gain in speed. I’m new to corbina so maybe I’m completely wrong. But definitely hate fishing with a basket.

Thoughts on using a single hander with an OPST commando head?

If you are leaving some of the head out on a switch rod, why can’t you do the same with a single hander?
With all the integrated shooting head lines now, you can water haul into one backcast and let it fly,
SF

Last edited:

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
why in the world would you want to use a TH rod for Corbina? or a commando head?

Look up Glenn Ueda on IG and you'll see a pro in action and you'll also see why he never ever uses a THer (or the wrong type of line for that matter) when targeting them.

Brett28b

why in the world would you want to use a TH rod for Corbina? or a commando head?

Look up Glenn Ueda on IG and you'll see a pro in action and you'll also see why he never ever uses a THer (or the wrong type of line for that matter) when targeting them.
[/QUOTE

Brett28b

Thanks. I don’t want to use a stripping basket. A switch rod allows me to manage my running line without the need to have a basket. It also lets me use spey casts or overhead casts with no need to false cast. This also is easier on my shoulder which tends to flare up if I’m false casting a sinking line all day.
I looked at Glens IG, but all his videos show him fighting fish after he’s already hooked up. Didn’t see any of him actually targeting and casting to fish.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
He's barely wading, fishing 6" of water. I'd shoot him a message to get the lowdown on his preferred gear, he's quite friendly. He also has a number of videos he's posted where he's standing on dry land pointing out a couple of cruising fish no more than 30' away. The two main things you're after is stealthy presentation and accuracy, neither of which a TH rod plus Commando head excels at. It's all about the right tool for the job (and that may even include *gasp* a stripping basket....but it may not depending on your local water). We all have personal preferences as to what we like to use (hell, I fish glass for muskies....but I'm not bound by it either), but man a TH rod and a Commando head would be the last thing I'd be looking at if I were getting after Corbina. Surf Perch? totally different story (well, still a hard no on the commando head)...well, for that matter, if you're targeting them deep and not sight fishing to them, then you're really surf perch fishing hoping for a Corbina by-catch rather than specifically targeting Corbina.

As far as THers for TH overhead casting, if it were me, I'd look at some of the purpose built rods rather than a switch or spey (like the Echo Boost beach or something along those lines), as you know, they'll perform better for the intended purpose.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts