Looking for switch rod recommendations

NRC

WFF Supporter
Thanks. I don’t want to use a stripping basket. A switch rod allows me to manage my running line without the need to have a basket. It also lets me use spey casts or overhead casts with no need to false cast. This also is easier on my shoulder which tends to flare up if I’m false casting a sinking line all day.
I looked at Glens IG, but all his videos show him fighting fish after he’s already hooked up. Didn’t see any of him actually targeting and casting to fish.
We’re all great at managing our running line until it finds the seaweed or gets trucked by a big breaking wave or wraps itself around a rock or gets swept under our boots, just sayin’. I am a stripping basket evangelist for that reason. But it’s all about fishing the way you enjoy, so I won’t harangue you any more than I already have.

Brett28b

He's barely wading, fishing 6" of water. I'd shoot him a message to get the lowdown on his preferred gear, he's quite friendly. He also has a number of videos he's posted where he's standing on dry land pointing out a couple of cruising fish no more than 30' away. The two main things you're after is stealthy presentation and accuracy, neither of which a TH rod plus Commando head excels at. It's all about the right tool for the job (and that may even include *gasp* a stripping basket....but it may not depending on your local water). We all have personal preferences as to what we like to use (hell, I fish glass for muskies....but I'm not bound by it either), but man a TH rod and a Commando head would be the last thing I'd be looking at if I were getting after Corbina. Surf Perch? totally different story (well, still a hard no on the commando head)...well, for that matter, if you're targeting them deep and not sight fishing to them, then you're really surf perch fishing hoping for a Corbina by-catch rather than specifically targeting Corbina.

As far as THers for TH overhead casting, if it were me, I'd look at some of the purpose built rods rather than a switch or spey (like the Echo Boost beach or something along those lines), as you know, they'll perform better for the intended purpose.
Thanks. All good points. I will reach out to him. In regards to my switch rod. It’s a Beulah opal, so definitely the right tool for the beach. Perhaps not for corbina apparently though.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
Thanks. All good points. I will reach out to him. In regards to my switch rod. It’s a Beulah opal, so definitely the right tool for the beach. Perhaps not for corbina apparently though.

Whatever you end up with, that looks like a helluva fun (and challenging) fishery.

NRC

WFF Supporter
Yeah that video makes me look like a dummy for advocating stripping baskets. Definitely not a necessity for that style o fishing

PV_Premier

many people do not realize how much fun and unique this style of fishing is.

you can also catch snook this way in the surf in SW Florida in the middle of summer. the drop off to the first wash is a little steeper, but the fish are still in less than 18" of water. now that is a real adrenaline rush considering some of those fish go 30" or more and they are a terror when hooked in such shallow water.

Philonius

WFF Supporter
I've seen them off the beach down at my Mom's place in SBA; makes me think I need to pack the saltwater rod down there someday.... when we can travel again and all that. It looks like a hoot!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts