Puyallup River

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I couldn't read much of the article even in private window cuz the Times wants me to subscribe.

Puget Sound Energy sold the Electron hydro project to a private company about 6 years ago. The project is plagued with issues associated with fish screening. Because of the incredibly high sediment load, it has thus far been impossible to effectively screen juvenile fish from the intake. It has also been difficult to keep the adult upstream fish passage ladder operational. Last I heard, the project has no ESA coverage and regularly takes ESA-listed Chinook salmon, steelhead, and bull trout.

I cannot fathom how artificial turf would be used at the project's diversion dam. I thought the owners were going to rebuild the dam with some kind of state-of-the-art juvenile fish screen.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
I can’t read any of the article or find any of it unfortunately, but I am interested because I am somewhat familiar with this project that’s a relic from a bygone era. So I want to know what they were doing with artificial turf in the water. Lining their bypass flume?

Phil Fravel

Friendly
Interesting. I had contacted Native fish society with this info weeks ago. I still have not heard anything.

That said I know the Army core of engineers has shut down electron for the time being

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
the Army core of engineers has shut down electron for the time being

I'm curious how that would happen. Not sure what authority the Corps has. The article said the turf was placed without a permit, and I am guessing that would be a Corps 404 permit if the turf was placed in the river. I think there has to be a nexus in order for the Corps to have authority.

Electron predates the Federal Power Act, so it's never had a FERC license.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Thank you, Bruce, that worked for me.

I have to say this seems like a real Mickey Mouse move on this firm’s behalf, and it is not a good thing that happened (nor was the fish kill!) but at least nobody was killed this time. That has actually happened in the past due to negligence related to this same firm and its subsidiaries.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts