Kayak Paddle on a Float Tube?

manfishman

Hey all, wanted to see if anyone else has used a kayak paddle as backup propulsion on their float tube?? I have a fishcat 4 and after getting blown to the opposite end of Pass Lake last month and kicking against the wind for 3hrs to get back I started thinking about alternative ways to get around if that were to happen again. Haven’t tried it yet, but just ordered a collapsible kayak paddle that breaks down in 4 pieces I’m thinking I’m gonna stash in the holding area behind the seat. What do yall think?

manfishman

I think if the W is overwhelming I would get out and start walking. At some point you are going to lose that battle. Either stash your gear and come back for it or keep the pack straps handy.

Good point!! Wind was only 8mph or so, never felt impossible just not a lot of fun haha. paddle was only $15 so figured I’d give it a shot!

Krusty

Outta Here
I think you'll just find yourself constantly fighting spinning around. Kayak paddles give alternate propulsive leverage. Even short kayaks have tracking problems, and a Fishcat 4 is damn near donut shaped. Your fins would do a better job of keeping propulsion going in one direction.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I use 2 paddles, built a little bigger than ping pong paddles. They are leashed together so as not to get lost, and that's the hard part of dealing with them, otherwise good extra oomph.

manfishman

I think you'll just find yourself constantly fighting spinning around. Kayak paddles give alternate propulsive leverage. Even short kayaks have tracking problems, and a Fishcat 4 is damn near donut shaped. Your fins would do a better job of keeping propulsion going in one direction.

Yah maybe, I could see that. Was thinking in addition to fins, just for some extra power against the wind.

manfishman

I use 2 paddles, built a little bigger than ping pong paddles. They are leashed together so as not to get lost, and that's the hard part of dealing with them, otherwise good extra oomph.

nice, this one i ordered breaks down into 4 pieces so i suppose i could just use the paddles as hand paddles too. You are able to reach the water well enough on either side of your tube then?

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
nice, this one i ordered breaks down into 4 pieces so i suppose i could just use the paddles as hand paddles too. You are able to reach the water well enough on either side of your tube then?
Yes. I think they go about 15". Just cut a 1" dowel (or whatever size you want) to the length you need. These started out for a WW2 pilots emergency raft I used to backpack with. crosscut and slip in a shaped 1/8" ply wood, 2 bolts each, and varathane.

manfishman

Yes. I think they go about 15". Just cut a 1" dowel (or whatever size you want) to the length you need. These started out for a WW2 pilots emergency raft I used to backpack with. crosscut and slip in a shaped 1/8" ply wood, 2 bolts each, and varathane.

Gotcha! Right on, thanks that’s helpful!!

manfishman

Y
What kind of fins are you using? If you search the forum there are lots of opinions about the best fins for float tubes. Force fins are great but diving fins work for lots of people too. Good fins make a real difference.

Yah, I’m using the standard issues outcast fins. Know they’re not the best but I’d rather have fins that accommodate boots so I dont have to worry about puncturing my waders getting in and out etc. Been looking into force fins, don’t really have the $$ to spend on those though unfortunately.

KerryS

Ignored Member
Y

Yah, I’m using the standard issues outcast fins. Know they’re not the best but I’d rather have fins that accommodate boots so I dont have to worry about puncturing my waders getting in and out etc. Been looking into force fins, don’t really have the $$ to spend on those though unfortunately.
I have a pair of neoprene booties with hard soles I wear with over my waders. I think they cost about 20 bucks. I have had them for 15 to 20 years.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts