Kayak Paddle on a Float Tube?

up2nogood

If you run across some of those white Browning fins pick a pair of those up , they are pretty good fins , much better then outcast . Pretty sure Browning doesn’t make them anymore , but I see them once in awhile on the classifieds.

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
I bought a pair of neoprene booties w/hard soles at Sportsmans WH for about $15. Took my waders along so I have the right size. They have zippers on the sides for easy access. Made by Caddis.

cdnred

I have a pair of neoprene booties with hard soles I wear with over my waders. I think they cost about 20 bucks. I have had them for 15 to 20 years.
You can pick those up at any scuba shop. That's what we use for scuba diving when wearing our fins to prevent scouring our heels raw from the fin straps. Another thing to consider is gluing some oar lock pads on the side so you can make better use of oars rather then paddles to keep you going straighter and allows you to put more force into it. You can get collapsible oars just the same as paddles. Oar locks might be too expensive for an option but just a thought. The oar locks could be changed over to be used as rod holders when needed. Check out "https://scotty.com/", they've got lots of accessories that will give you some ideas. You don't need to buy their stuff, just to get some ideas. It all comes down to how much you're looking to spend before your tube becomes a boat..

manfishman

You can pick those up at any scuba shop. That's what we use for scuba diving when wearing our fins to prevent scouring our heels raw from the fin straps. Another thing to consider is gluing some oar lock pads on the side so you can make better use of oars rather then paddles to keep you going straighter and allows you to put more force into it. You can get collapsible oars just the same as paddles. Oar locks might be too expensive for an option but just a thought. The oar locks could be changed over to be used as rod holders when needed. Check out "https://scotty.com/", they've got lots of accessories that will give you some ideas. You don't need to buy their stuff, just to get some ideas. It all comes down to how much you're looking to spend before your tube becomes a boat..

Awesome tip, thank you! Yah, I had considered doing that! I was looking for some very simple circular rubber oarlocks like you’d find on a cheap rubber raft, but can’t find that style anywhere.

Buzzy

Awesome tip, thank you! Yah, I had considered doing that! I was looking for some very simple circular rubber oarlocks like you’d find on a cheap rubber raft, but can’t find that style anywhere.
There's a few more options: a pontoon boat with oars and the capability of an electric motor (funds may well be an issue). I fished out of Bucks Bronco (8 footer) for many years and only a few times did I get into a situation where the wind was just too much to row into. Longer oars help. Remarkably shipping the anchor makes rowing much easier.

dekartes

fishing with something that has oars is so much nicer. I gave up on tubes awhile back. My USMC joints couldn't do it anymore. Found I like lake fishing much better sitting a little higher and having that extra control. Oars and fins are good so you can control your boat when stopped; I used to fish that way, but have not found I miss the fins much. I don't need to wader up and I have learned to control my boat. My favorite boat now is an oared Alpacka. They don't make it anymore now, but the kit fits into a small duffel. Pretty convenient when on a road trip. Sorry for the thread slip as I know you were asking about a kayak paddle and a float tube... I don't see how that would work with any efficiency. The hand paddles are a cool idea for a bit more propulsion. Wind would still kick your ass though.

manfishman

Check out the fishcat cruzer- it has oars that tuck away that are mounted to the body of the float tube- it takes a little getting used to but they work great.

That little Cruzer is sweet! yah that’s pretty much exactly what i had in mind originally as a mod. After looking closer, not sure oar locks would fit on a fishcat 4 tho, looks like they moved the storage bags back to accommodate the oarlocks on the cruzer. Maybe more trouble than it’s worth. Oh well, an upgrade to that one or a pontoon someday is prob more likely

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Y

Yah, I’m using the standard issues outcast fins. Know they’re not the best but I’d rather have fins that accommodate boots so I dont have to worry about puncturing my waders getting in and out etc. Been looking into force fins, don’t really have the $$ to spend on those though unfortunately

I'm not sure if you've gone any direction this yet, but if it were me, I'd spend more money on new fins rather than trying to spend all sorts of cash on a "solution" that likely won't work.

I really like my pair of Buck's Bags fins (Right now, they're neck and neck with my Force Fins) I picked up at Sportsman's for $40. They DO fit over boots too!

The downside of oars on a float tube is that you don't have anything to brace your feet against. I've played around with this in my Commander (certainly not apples to apples, but you get the idea) and it's not great, to say the least.

Buzzy

I'm not sure if you've gone any direction this yet, but if it were me, I'd spend more money on new fins rather than trying to spend all sorts of cash on a "solution" that likely won't work.

I really like my pair of Buck's Bags fins (Right now, they're neck and neck with my Force Fins) I picked up at Sportsman's for $40. They DO fit over boots too!

The downside of oars on a float tube is that you don't have anything to brace your feet against. I've played around with this in my Commander (certainly not apples to apples, but you get the idea) and it's not great, to say the least.
What size of boot are you wearing (what's your foot size?)?

And I agree with you, leave the oars and paddles home when you're in a float tube.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I'm a size 10 with size 11 boots. I use an older pair of Patagonia boots (the most comfortable I've ever used) that are pretty worn out, but they still allow my a fair bit of flexibility (especially compared to my newer Orvis Pros that I use for river wading).

I feel like there's plenty of room in the BB fins if my boots were larger. They're also lighter and easier to put on than the FF. FF still provide a little bit better propulsion, but for the money, BB fins are soooo much better than any of those standard stiff fins that you see most folks still using.

Bruce Baker

Check out eBay. I just saw a pair of adjustable Force Fins for under $80.

I also wear a pair of booties (Hodgman) over my waders.

So either way, you should be able to pick up a pair of Force Fins at a very reasonable price.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts