NFR The site

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Classifieds are busy. Not much politics lately. A few trip reports where one is hard pressed to know much beyond the state they were in... Hot spotting - ummm, errr, well it is what it is...,

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
It's been raining off and on here for a few days. Temp is 52 degrees. Yesterday wasn't much better. It got into the 60's, but the wind was blowing at a good clip and the wind was cold. I actually had to put on a long sleeved shirt to keep the cold at bay.

SilverFly

Quiet? Maybe in the freshwater forums.

Last weekend (8/22-23) a small group of WFF members fished two days with @Nick Clayton out of Westport and caught a half ton of tuna ... on fly rods. Keeping pace with other boats fishing live bait with 50% more crew. Something previously not thought possible. I believe the @Swimmy term "crushed it" would apply here.

Oh yeah, and Nick got (to my knowledge) the first ever topwater fly eat from an albacore. A big one no less, that went fully airborne after inhaling his popper. There was nothing quiet about that. Folks in Long Beach probably heard him yelling.

Last edited:

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Quiet? Maybe in the freshwater forums.

Last weekend (8/22-23) a small group of WFF members fished two days with @Nick Clayton out of Westport and caught a half ton of tuna ... on fly rods. Keeping pace with other boats fishing live bait with 50% more crew. Something previously not thought possible. I believe the @Swimmy term "crushed it" would apply here.

Oh yeah, and Nick got (to my knowledge) the first ever topwater fly eat from an albacore. A big one no less, that went fully airborne after inhaling his popper. There was nothing quiet about that. Folks in Long Beach probably heard him yelling.
And I caught one on a popper too....
Steve

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Sweet! How did I miss that?
You were probably in the bow fighting your own fish. Here's the proof [Nick's was hooked by the base of the gills.]
PopperInTunaMouthP8220103.jpg
There weren't very many moments when there wasn't at least one albacore being fought once we got out. On a 10 hour trip [5:30AM to 3:30PM], I figure 2.5 hours from leaving the dock until we put lines down, and 2.5 hours back and that leaves 5 hours of fishing. With 48 albacore in the boat (and one or two lost), that's about 10 albacore per hour or one every 6 minutes (if they were all singles, but we had quints, quads, triples, and doubles). We were busy...
Steve

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts