Preparing for the Winter Season

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
You all had to bring up the subject of winter,didn't you. Well tomorrow we are supposed to get some very cold weather for summer. Starting tomorrow night the temps are supposed to drop to 26 degrees. They are talking snow. I'm gonna have to look up my snow shovel and keep it handy.

Well why not. I got 6" of snow this last June. So might as well have some more cold weather at the end of summer. Just got to love Montana,

Yard Sale

Huge Member
Boot foot waders. If your feet get cold you won't fish. Simple as that. If you are going to be hiking around a lot then breathable ones are best, but they are pricey. If you are floating or just road fishing then some neoprene ones from Cabeleas work great and can be had for around $150.

cdnred

Boot foot waders. If your feet get cold you won't fish. Simple as that. If you are going to be hiking around a lot then breathable ones are best, but they are pricey. If you are floating or just road fishing then some neoprene ones from Cabeleas work great and can be had for around $150.
Like the idea of boot foot waders, keeps my feet a lot warmer and dry..

sroffe

I'm with you about hating the cold. Which particular model of the Simms did you get..? They've got a few different models that come up for Primaloft and when I did a search on the "heater", nothing came up..
There are a lot of good suggestions on this thread.

My first one was a puffy gray jacket. I don't know what they called it them, but I can't find it around the house any more. So I bought another one, with a hood. Simms has them on their website as the ExStream Hooded Jacket.

I had my arm wet from being in the river so many times with a fish during cold weather, but it always dried out, and kept me warm. Never regretted buying it. It held up to fishing better than my OR Primaloft jacket.

cdnred

There are a lot of good suggestions on this thread.

My first one was a puffy gray jacket. I don't know what they called it them, but I can't find it around the house any more. So I bought another one, with a hood. Simms has them on their website as the ExStream Hooded Jacket.

I had my arm wet from being in the river so many times with a fish during cold weather, but it always dried out, and kept me warm. Never regretted buying it. It held up to fishing better than my OR Primaloft jacket.
I saw that one on their website when I did a search. There was another that someone else here suggested, the Bulkley jacket. Both seem like they would fit the bill, I'll have to check them out further. That's my biggest downfall, once I'm cold I'm done for. Thanks for the tips, very much appreciated..

cdnred

Thanks everyone for your help in sorting this on for me. Got lots of good advice here that I'm sure will come to good use this coming winter..:)

sroffe

I saw that one on their website when I did a search. There was another that someone else here suggested, the Bulkley jacket. Both seem like they would fit the bill, I'll have to check them out further. That's my biggest downfall, once I'm cold I'm done for. Thanks for the tips, very much appreciated..

I almost got the Bulkley Jacket. Very nice, but out here on the Coast, I like to have the ability to shed layers. So, if it's cold and sunny out, I'll just take the shell off and fish in my puffy. But, like others, I layer under that too, long johns, fleece shirt, and my puffy.

My fleece fishing shirt has been on more than it's fair share of winter fishing trip. I think it's my favorite fishing shirt, it's got some good funk on it.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
When I saw the thread title, my first thought was that I haven't finished preparing for summer season yet. Almost, but not finished.

Winter in the PNW is all about layers. And synthetic fabrics mostly. Mostly because I usually favor wearing a flannel shirt during the winter season. But I have a synthetic wicking layer under it. And usually fleece over that. Mostly I use capalene long johns, but a think Smartwool long john layer is pretty good as well. Nylon quick dry pants are my year around standby, covered with fleece pants over them in the winter.

I used to think that stocking foot waders just don't cut it for me in the winter, since I'm prone to cold feet and cold hands. The long term problem with insulated boot foot waders is that I start out warm and dry, but end up cold and wet or at least lukewarm and wet due to perspiration. My winter cure with breathable waders is to buy another set of wading boots a size larger than my usual summer ones. That way I can wear two heavy expedition weight merino wool socks inside my breathable waders. It doesn't keep me warm always, but cool and dry is a comfortable compromise.

And since I fish in the PNW in the winter, rain gear, always. I carry rain gear with me 365 days a year. It's a NW thing, and smart, too.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
I'm a big fan of outter layers built by fishing companies because its fishing specific but the underlayers are way over priced in the fish gear companies.Just because your fleece hoody is made by simms doesn't mean it's better for fishing....

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I prepare for the winter season by putting all my rods away for one more winter. I don't go out in the winter times anymore. With my bad luck I'd probably fall in and never come out again.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Double post. How I quoted myself is a new one on me.

Last edited:

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
I'm a big fan of outter layers built by fishing companies because its fishing specific but the underlayers are way over priced in the fish gear companies.Just because your fleece hoody is made by simms doesn't mean it's better for fishing....

Amen to that ,Yard! About 10 years ago when fleece "wading pants"-without a freakin' fly!-were selling for about $100 per, I bought 3 fleece pajama bottoms at Walmart for under $10 apiece. Now after almost 10 years I am still wearing those for my cold weather outings. And they have a fly! What demented son of a bitch tried to sell pants to a guy that didn't have a fly? As if peeing over your waders wasn't tough enough with wind blowing and rain coming sideways.

cdnred

Very true, companies like Simms, Orvis and other fish related companies put fabulous products out there but there are many lower priced items that are just as good. A lot of the higher pricing goes just into the branding and not the product itself. Just need to do some research into it before buying..

Bob Rankin

Tuglife
Pay particular attention to your feet. Once your feet get cold you will be cold and stay cold. Use quality socks. I like a thin base sock made of a synthetic wicking material such as polyester over which I‘ll wear a medium to heavy wool sock. The most important piece are boots that fit properly. They cannot be tight. Your boots need to allow your foot to breath and not limit circulation. Spend the necessary time and money on your footwear. Do not scrimp.

I agree with this a thousand percent! If your boots are tight and your feet can’t circulate, your going to get cold and stay cold! The rest is just a simple matter of layering. Patagonia makes excellent long undies and fleece. I personally like a light weight down jacket over primaloft any day.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts