North Umpqua Fire

surfnfish

Wife is monitoring Facebook for udates from half a dozen of our friends around the state that have either already evacuated or are packed and ready to go. One might have lost their home in the Otis fire east of Lincoln City. Living in the woods here south of Bend, our go bags hang on hooks in the garage, critical papers remain in a rolling case, 'grab it' punch list on the fridge.
Seriously thinking of moving a bit further east out of the forest.

Old Man

A very Old Man
I just looked om the Inc/web page and it looks like everything west of the Dakotas is on fire. It was fire calm until August and September. Then it looks like all the fires started in August and again in September. No smoke of any kind here in Butte. We have had 2 days of cold weather. Was 27 this morning when I woke up.

PV_Premier

Sobering message on the Steamboat Inn website -- "the status of the Inn is unknown".

I hope they managed to get all the cats out of there too.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Jim, hopefully Montana won't be involved. I've never seen so many multiple wild fires at once in Oregon … they are everywhere and burning down small towns and threatening larger ones.

At this point it is difficult to determine was has burned and what has survived.

At least we're not close to active fires but the air quality in Corvallis is now rated as Hazardous... it doesn't get any worse than that.

As if a pandemic wasn't enough ...

A.A.

Where did the map come from and what are the red dots? Here in Glide this morning it’s only 50 with very light winds but really smoky.

Oregon.gov

Estimated at about 72,000 acres now.

MelW

Certified Curmudgeon - GET OFF MY LAWN!
Now there's a fire close to Diamond Lake so the resort and campground where evacuated.
Diamond Lake Campground 2:30AM - USFS Ranger pounding on my camper door telling me that there was a Level3 evacuation due to forest fire. I could see the red glow in the sky to the north but with the wind coming out of the south knew I had time to pack up and leave.

Travis Bille

The town of Happy Camp, CA, just south of the Oregon border, lost about 150 buildings and the fire is so out of control, I've heard predictions that it will burn Cave Junction, OR, today.

surfnfish

The Oregon Governor has just issued a state wide conflagation declaration, a first in Oregon's history. Looking at Windy, by this evening the strong east winds pushing these fires will begin to slow up, which will help with containment.

A.A.

The Oregon Governor has just issued a state wide conflagation declaration, a first in Oregon's history. Looking at Windy, by this evening the strong east winds pushing these fires will begin to slow up, which will help with containment.

Great resource (windy), thanks!

Looks like the declaration is specific to 4 fires: Almeda, Beachy Creek, Lion’s Head, and Holiday Farm?

And what does the declaration entail? Sounds like it states they need more resources. But doesn’t state where those resources would come from.

Last edited:

iggie

Just got visual confirmation from a neighbor who called my wife. Our house is still there. But they were told to leave. The Opal Creek Fire is climbing Gates Hill from the north. Hopefully the strip that burned along Hwy 22 will stop it. Gates Hill is the last ridge north of Hwy 22.

Thanks for the best wishes.

Iggie

There are people here who may know but has the military been called. Could sure use those resources. The Gaurd I know has provided manpower and resources in the past. Always seem like those in power wait too long to get the much needed help.
Spev

bobduck

Whiskey Tastes Best from a TIN CUP
summers of 60 thru 62 spent on a USFS hot shot crew and was involved in 34 large (project) fires. It bears absolutely nothing to compare with what is happening today. I'm in a state of disbelief and hope everyone comes thru this safely.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts