North Umpqua Fire

the_grube

In addition to the human cost, I wonder what effect this will have on the N Umpqau steelhead, salmon and trout populations? My guess is that the fish will all move out of warm areas, unless they've moved into tributaries and are locked in already with low water.

PV_Premier

In addition to the human cost, I wonder what effect this will have on the N Umpqau steelhead, salmon and trout populations? My guess is that the fish will all move out of warm areas, unless they've moved into tributaries and are locked in already with low water.

The fires on the banks will not have a significant effect on water temp. I am not sure what the water temps were on the river to begin with. Long term, the risk with the fires is increased sediment load on the river due to more runoff reaching the streambed. Sediment hitting the feeder streams in torched canyons could also have a negative effect on spawning success.

Here in CA some of our rivers burn every year, the Upper Sac being the most common example...it's burned every summer the last 3-4 years (not *yet* this year, surprisingly). The fishing is still good...but those trout are probably more resilient than NU steelhead.

Rob Allen

In those terms I am more concerned about sediment as the river floods this winter. But the tribs and the umpqua are powerful streams and probably won't have problems getting rid of the ash, lets hope that slopes remain stable.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forest fires are natural so it seems mom nature would plan on their effects when it comes to aquatic critters.

However, man has messed around with forests and rivers so much that all deals may be off. What normally may be little effect of a forest fire to the ecosystem of a river could now be devastation due to the actions of man.

gt

Forest fires are natural so it seems mom nature would plan on their effects when it comes to aquatic critters.

However, man has messed around with forests and rivers so much that all deals may be off. What normally may be little effect of a forest fire to the ecosystem of a river could now be devastation due to the actions of man.
i really think you don't understand. what we are experiencing is CLIMATE CHANGE and the adverse effects on people as well as forests and all the creatures that inhabit them. i am far less concerned about the impact on fishing and much more concerned about the thousands who will now be displaced because all they own has been destroyed.

underachiever

members only
Frank Moore is a national treasure. I suppose if you've managed to maintain a positive outlook after Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge, a wildfire isn't gonna crush your spirit.

PV_Premier

Steamboat Inn posted an update today to their IG page that as of this morning the Inn property is still intact and posted a photo facing downriver showing a very large smoke plume that looked to be 1/4-1/2 mile downstream of the Inn property.

From the angle they showed on the photo and the plume of smoke, I am expecting that Bogus Creek and Susan Creek campgrounds will both be wiped out unless the USFS put significant effort toward defending them.

bobduck

Whiskey Tastes Best from a TIN CUP

I'm no expert by far but I would assume that if all the vegetation is burned off of the river banks that following rainfall might put mud and debris in the waters possibly causing damage to spawning beds.

Buzzy

Earlier in this thread I mentioned my old friend Mike who lost his home and everything he owns in this awful fire. He's not alone - the tragedy, the loss of life, property, livestock, pets, wildlife and habitat are likely immeasurable. Very saddening.

A tiny glimmer of hope for Mike - he spent yesterday with his former wife and their family. Mike's starting over at age 71.

Maybe a year, two at most, after I graduated from college (that's where Mike and I met), I headed south to Eugene to visit with Mike, Bonnie and their three kids. Mike and I headed out in my Rabbit for some camping and fishing, here's Mike improvising streamside:
Mike tying a fly.jpg
Wild guess, 40 - 42 years ago. No grey hair. Rubberized canvas waders.

Be safe. Help our neighbors.
Pat

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Earlier in this thread I mentioned my old friend Mike who lost his home and everything he owns in this awful fire. He's not alone - the tragedy, the loss of life, property, livestock, pets, wildlife and habitat are likely immeasurable. Very saddening.

A tiny glimmer of hope for Mike - he spent yesterday with his former wife and their family. Mike's starting over at age 71.

Maybe a year, two at most, after I graduated from college (that's where Mike and I met), I headed south to Eugene to visit with Mike, Bonnie and their three kids. Mike and I headed out in my Rabbit for some camping and fishing, here's Mike improvising streamside:
View attachment 253967
Wild guess, 40 - 42 years ago. No grey hair. Rubberized canvas waders.

Be safe. Help our neighbors.
Pat
I had some of those rubber chest waders. Worst waders to wear in the summertime. This was my first set of waders. I was just a young lad of about 25..

I have started a GoFundMe to generate funds for for these special people. Namely Frank & Jeanne Moore, and Mike Schmorde (pictured above)

I well also be posting a few sets of flies though I will likely price them high, since this site does not allow auctions... any ideas here? I plan to do some auctions on social media as I have seen great success this way in fundraising.

How about a dozen skunks in ol Franks honor. 6 on #6 7999 that maybe Frank would fish (prob too small)
6 on #5 2051 (a little too fancy)
3 of those the Dan Callaghan way.

PB wings (From John Waite, whom has also lost his home acrost from the dogwood)

Attachments

• 2EA9F4EE-9671-47E5-972A-79CD3F34E5D5.jpeg
    2EA9F4EE-9671-47E5-972A-79CD3F34E5D5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts