NFR Air filtration

surfnfish

Kicked
We're very glad to have an Austin air filtration machine in our home, as with a change in winds smoke from the west Cascade fires has blanketed the east side now. Did a lot of research, Austin emerged as best of class. At around the cost of a new quality fly rod, your lungs will appreciate it if living in a smoke area. Even if you have a quality central HVAC system with electro-static filtration, UV, etc, this unit will take care of what's left. And if you don't, than this unit will make a huge difference.

Reactions: jwg

Zak

WFF Supporter
We're very glad to have an Austin air filtration machine in our home, as with a change in winds smoke from the west Cascade fires has blanketed the east side now. Did a lot of research, Austin emerged as best of class. At around the cost of a new quality fly rod, your lungs will appreciate it if living in a smoke area. Even if you have a quality central HVAC system with electro-static filtration, UV, etc, this unit will take care of what's left. And if you don't, than this unit will make a huge difference.

Cross-posting from the "fire" thread. This week I made three of these DIY air filters for our bedrooms.

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
Great idea. I think I'll give it a go to see what happens. I do have air conditioning in the house and an air purifier in my living room but this offers another alternative. Maybe I'll head out and buy some filters.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
Great idea. I think I'll give it a go to see what happens. I do have air conditioning in the house and an air purifier in my living room but this offers another alternative. Maybe I'll head out and buy some filters.
Don't come to Mount Vernon. I got the last of em yesterday!

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
We have our air handler running 100% of the time recycling the indoor air in our house.

Reminder: Replace the air filter after this event with a new one because it will be dirty...

surfnfish

Kicked
We periodically cycle the central heating fan through a Merv 13 filter to catch bigger particles, the Austin unit gets all the rest. So interior remains smoke free while the outside is a grey fog of smoke.
Have now had three friends who have lost their homes in the past 5 days. One of them, a local pastor on the OR coast and avid fly fisher and tyer, had just parked a new to him pristine varnished wood drift boat in the shop before the fire took everything. Another, a world reknown photographer, lost his entire life's work of negatives, prints, an extensive art collection, his motorcycle collectoin, etc. And the last, oneof my former poker cronies, lost the home he and his wife had lived in for the past 50 years.
Covid, insanely polarized election, massive fires...now just waiting to hear about the approaching impact asteroid

VMP

Important to have a long-term plan beyond this record-setting wildfire event. Yes, it is unprecedented in scale, but wildfires will be the new normal with climate change continuing its course. Like the saying says: "If we don't change direction, we may end up where we are heading", applies to wildfires, climate change, pandemics, politics, etc. We had the 2017 and 2018 fire/smoke wake up call events and filters and air purifiers disappeared fast. 2019 was OK, at least for central Puget Sound, some air purifiers went on sale and my wife was smart enough to get enough for the whole house. Stay safe out there.

Zak

WFF Supporter
These are available on Amazon as a six-pack, but shipping is delayed 6-10 days (probably due to demand):

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts