NFR What are you reading??

tirefire

Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss. Excellent. Maybe he'll finish the last book in the trilogy before I die.
Not likely at this rate!

The Given Day by Dennis Lehane is great, set in post WWI Boston. Another great one is Coming Home by Roy Stolworthy, historical fiction about WWI.

Blind Your Ponies is one of my all time favorites, it's by Stanley Gordon West. Can't recommend it highly enough!

Reactions: smc

Zak

WFF Supporter
The Orenda, by Joseph Boyden - historical fiction. Excellent story set about 400 years ago, before the United States was even a dream. The Jesuits are just beginning to try and convert the Huron's, and the Iroquois are bad ass.

The Son, by Phillipp Meyer. Much better than the TV mini series.

No one here seems to read any sci-fi or fantasy?

Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss. Excellent. Maybe he'll finish the last book in the trilogy before I die.
Big fantasy sci fi fan here. Name of the Wind was great!

Albula

swollen member
Rereading Chesapeake by Michener. Having had the pleasure of owning and hunting with several fine Chesapeake Retrievers I really enjoy the segments about the commercial duck hunters and their dogs. Michener describes one young particularly uncontrollable male, "a fractious and bounding pup." "Hey You , stop doing that. Hey you, get out of there." Suddenly upon turning 3 he turned into the most incredible hunting retriever anyone on the bay had seen and the only name he would answer to was "Hey You."

noparking

Just finished The Next 100 Year and now I'm onto The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. After that Don Quixote. Helps that I listen to these all one tape and I can usually knock out 2-4 books a week depending on what I'm doing at work.

wanderingrichard

Second book of The Wheel of Time series... also, second time through them, first was 20+ years ago. Still reads like Mitchener writing fantasy. Slow, dry at times, and pendantic.

Also, the update to In the Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob. Still one of the best legal advice for armed self defense books you'll ever read.

Reactions: Zak

Zak

WFF Supporter
Hummingbird Salamander by Jeff Vandermeer. Great book, can't put it down. It is less weird than his other stuff and reminds me of Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49.

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan. True story of Italian boy who started working with the resistance at 14, guiding refugees over the Alps into Switzerland and continued in an almost unbelievable and tragic series of events through the war.

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
Bag Man by Rachel Maddow; story of how Spiro Agnew rose from county executive to governor and vice-president while taking cash payoffs all the way into the White House. He was Trump before Trump was in that he was bombastic, fiery and blamed everything on the media.
The country came within days of Agnew becoming president when Nixon resigned.
Great story about several young lawyers who persevered when pressured to sweep things under the rug “for the good of the party/country”.

Jim Travers

I looked it up it said it wasn't a wurd!!! I instate it is!!!! Hereby!! Look it enfuriates me when it tells me I'm wrong!!

O. clarki

Faithful Travelers by James Dodson. If you love to ff or have a daughter, or have ever had yer heart broken. FF road trip story from the heart. Complete with Otis the golden retriever. I’ve loaned this to many non fishing friends and they loved it. Buy from yer local independent book store if you can. Enjoy

Attachments

• 36FC425F-AFC2-459C-894E-21F00195CD3F.jpeg
    36FC425F-AFC2-459C-894E-21F00195CD3F.jpeg
    21.9 KB · Views: 2

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts