Best fishing in August?

Lorenky

Hello. My husband and I are beginning to plan a trip to Washington mid August next year. We would like to hire a guide for a day of fly fishing. We are novices but not complete beginners. We were thinking of pink salmon since it will be an odd year, but not sure if mid August would be too early for the peak of the run. What do you recommend for peak fishing in mid August? We are not particular about species, pink salmon would be great, we love fishing for bass, large trout, etc. We just want a good chance to catch lots of fish. Recommendations appreciated.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Where in Washington are you planning on making your home base?

Lots of options in August from small trout in mountain streams to Salmon in some rivers or salt water and bass in lakes.

Once we know where you wsnt to be we can hook you up with reputable fly shops/guides that can find tune a trip for you.

Lorenky

Where in Washington are you planning on making your home base?

Lots of options in August from small trout in mountain streams to Salmon in some rivers or salt water and bass in lakes.

Once we know where you wsnt to be we can hook you up with reputable fly shops/guides that can find tune a trip for you.
Thanks. We are looking at just a week this time. 4 days in Mt Baker area and then 3 days wherever the fishing is. Anything within a 3 maybe even 4 hour drive from Mt Baker and also from the airport for the flight home would be fine.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Emerald Anglers Fly shop in West Seattle very knowledgeable and guide you to any kind of fishing in Washington.

His small stream presentations at fly fishing shows re-kindled my love of small, wild trout in small crystal clear mountain streams.

From small wild mtn trout to big bruiser salmon or steelhead, they have you covered.

I second the Yakima River if you like fast paced throwing big bugs right at the bank while riding the magic carpet ride of a drift boat. August is high flows on the Yakima and the fish hang gust under tall grass on banks and many times violently strike flies floating over them.

Reds in the Yakima river canyon. Worley Bugger, Evening hatch, Troutwater are all great fly shops in Ellensburg

Lorenky

Thanks very much. Will look into all that. No recommendations for pinks, is it not best time of year or not great runs?

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Thanks very much. Will look into all that. No recommendations for pinks, is it not best time of year or not great runs?
The runs are hit and miss, and mid August is just a tad on the early side for reliable freshwater fishing for pinks. You might need to stay flexible as to which system you would fish if freshwater pinks is what you’re set on, due to run sizes, regulations, and whatever else. Mid August is prime trout time in the mountain streams and lakes though, you can count on that. Ever spend any time in the Cascades? I think you’d be in for a treat.

Shad

As others have hinted, the saltwater offers more interesting opportunities in mid-Aug. than freshwater. For an experience that is uniquely Washington, I'd recommend a Puget Sound guide. The views from just about anywhere are incredible. If you book a guide, you'll be fishing out of a boat and where the fish are instead of crowding a beach and waiting for them to come within range. There should be plenty of pinks in the saltwater that time of year, but probably not enough to provide good fishing in the rivers just yet....

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
Thanks. We are looking at just a week this time. 4 days in Mt Baker area and then 3 days wherever the fishing is. Anything within a 3 maybe even 4 hour drive from Mt Baker and also from the airport for the flight home would be fine.
Welcome @Lorenky! One of my better times fishing was at Mt. Baker near Glacier. I called the local fly shop and they told me the Nooksack was running glacial and to try Canyon Creek, a tributary of the Nooksack. Canyon Creek just happened to be a short walk from where we were staying and it was great fishing for days with no one else was around. The rainbow i caught were in the 10-12 inch range. (I’ve heard there are brook trout there but i didn’t catch any.) I was just starting out fishing back then so this was quite awhile ago so you might need to check into it more.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts