Best fishing in August?

Lorenky

Thanks all. I’ll try that advice on calling a fly shop near glacier, I know my husband really does want to stick to freshwater. Actually I think What we’re going to do is just stick to hiking and sightseeing for that week In August in Washington, but we are planning on possibly coming up to Oregon and lower Washington state in Early June for my husband‘s birthday. I’ll post a different question about Fishing at that time. Those two weeks will pretty much be dedicated to a several different fishing trips wherever the best fishing is.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Thanks all. I’ll try that advice on calling a fly shop near glacier, I know my husband really does want to stick to freshwater. Actually I think What we’re going to do is just stick to hiking and sightseeing for that week In August in Washington, but we are planning on possibly coming up to Oregon and lower Washington state in Early June for my husband‘s birthday. I’ll post a different question about Fishing at that time. Those two weeks will pretty much be dedicated to a several different fishing trips wherever the best fishing is.
Can I make a suggestion for your fishing trip? Think about researching what type or types and locations of fishing you are interested in, and when that fishing is best, and plan your trip then. Early June is usually peak snowmelt runoff and rivers are high and cold.

Smalma

Mid-August to early September in the best window for pinks in the Skagit basin (immediately south of Bellingham) however that fishery (and the other pink fisheries) depends on the forecasts which will not be available until the end of February. The Nooksack has an even earlier pink run (starting in mid-July) but typically tough water conditions (glacial run-off). Those will be your best freshwater shots.

I would second contacting local fly shops in the area for potential fisheries and a guide trip. Have a species priority in mind and see how that matches with what they may have to offer.

If you don't find the freshwater opportunity that interest you do consider a guide trip on Puget Sound. The Seattle area can offer some interesting pink and coho fishing that time of year. All some opportunities further north.

Curt

Lorenky

Mid-August to early September in the best window for pinks in the Skagit basin (immediately south of Bellingham) however that fishery (and the other pink fisheries) depends on the forecasts which will not be available until the end of February. The Nooksack has an even earlier pink run (starting in mid-July) but typically tough water conditions (glacial run-off). Those will be your best freshwater shots.

I would second contacting local fly shops in the area for potential fisheries and a guide trip. Have a species priority in mind and see how that matches with what they may have to offer.

If you don't find the freshwater opportunity that interest you do consider a guide trip on Puget Sound. The Seattle area can offer some interesting pink and coho fishing that time of year. All some opportunities further north.

Curt
Thanks all. It sounds like neither August nor June are ideal times of year for us. Will look into some of your suggestions, but we probably will just come up and appreciate the glorious beauty of Washington state without a fishing trip. Been burned a couple of times getting a guide during non-peak season and when conditions are off, and of course it’s sometimes unavoidable, but I’d rather avoid it if I can. Another time.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts