Camping Trip Recommendations

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
My wife and I are looking to take a 4 night camping trip, in early October. Trout fishing will be the main goal, but the wife wants to go on a hike one day too. We would like to limit the drive to less than 7 hours from Seattle. Ideally, the campsite would be right on the water, so we don't need to drive around. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've been researching the upper Deschutes, but it looks like only one campground is actually open. Between that and the fire situation, I want to make sure we have a solid backup plan or two.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

D

Deleted member 10700

You might look at Camp Sherman on the Metolious. Hopefully things will be opening up by the time you want to go. There are several camp sites directly on the water.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
Thanks for the replies!

You might look at Camp Sherman on the Metolious. Hopefully things will be opening up by the time you want to go. There are several camp sites directly on the water.

I was researching the Metolius, along with the upper Deschutes area. Do you think the Metolius is better? It does seem more scenic, from photos.

Upper Methow River.

Are Ballard Campground and River Bend Campground considered upper Methow River? I couldn't find much else in the area.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 10700

The Metolious is incredibly beautiful...., but a pretty technical fishery. There’s plenty of info on WFF regarding technique, timing, fly selection, etc. just search, it will be easy to find.

Shack

Upper deschutes (everything upstream of benham falls) closes sept 30 FYI. As far as central OR goes you could camp on the metolius, crooked, or lower deschutes at Mecca flats, they’d all be good but all are pretty different experiences too

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
You can dry camp at Rocky Ford between Soap Lake and Ephrata.

October should offer cool nights and mild daytime highs.

Many people camp at second parking lot/outhouse within sight and easy walk to the creek.

BDD

I believe the upper Methow proper is closed to fishing at that time but it is still a wonderful area to camp and hike. There are other fishing options (lakes and creeks) that are open. The area is descended upon by deer hunters by mid month but in early October, you may not have to wear hunter orange.

Freestone

WFF Supporter
The entire Methow is closed by October 1st. Some of the river closes Sept. 15th, the rest that is currently open closes Sept. 30th.

A great many of the tributaries will be closed too, including all the biggest ones and most of the smaller ones. Many tributaries are permanently closed. If you do go, study the regs carefully.

still releasing

East. There is a whole lot of really good water/camping/hiking within 7 hours of Seattle (I would stretch it to 8 and it really opens up your options). PM me if you need some specifics.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts