Siletz river sea run cutthroat (OR)

Peach

Peach
I am spending the weekend in Lincoln City at the end of September. Don't have access to a boat but would like to wet a line for a bit and chase after some SRC. Thinking about exploring the Siletz Bay National Wildlife Refuge. Anyone ever try that for SRC. Is it worth the effort?

Peach

Bob Smith

WFF Supporter
I've poked around there a bit - shore access to decent looking fishing areas (at least what I look for) isn't the best. You might want to try the tidewater of some of the tribs coming into Siletz Bay such as Drift Creek or Schooner Creek. Any SRC's still down low should be staging there. Good luck and please report back!

Last edited:

rotato

There is a reasonable boat rental down by the bridge. We rented a small aluminum skiff And got blanked on cutts but saw some nice kings roll.
good luck

gt

rent a boat and head upriver past coyote rock and all the trailer parks. you will start to see tree lined banks without people and houses and dark waters. that is where to start fishing.

if you are interested in the chinook, the pilings across from the 'great notion' house is were to concentrate.

Last edited:

Replicant

I was just down at the Salishan resort, last week of August. I took my rod, but the wind was enough to scare me away from any beach casting. I did observe a lot of 'gear' guys on the north end of the bay where there is public access. They were all knee deep, but I didn't see anyone land anything. The Salishan spit is private I believe, but there was one gear guy fishing for surf perch. It looked awfully fishy with the seals and birds in the area, but even he gave up while struggling to cast into the wind. Can't say anything for the river. Not enough time.

fishy

I cut my teeth in the early 80s fishing the Siletz tidewater for SRCs, and the upper river for summer SH. Man, there was some great fly ops in solitude on that river back then......hopefully some of those remain....

Peach

Peach
Thanks everyone for the input - gives me some hope and some leads. I was thinking about not bringing the flyrod but after these positive responses -I will be!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts