Cortland Fly Lines?

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
The problem is that there is no meaningful standard for line weights. The AFTMA standard is useless. What we should really have is a min and max recommended grain weight, for every rod. For WF lines, they should list the full head weight. For DT lines, they should list the cumulative grain weight, in ~10 foot increments. This would let you meaningfully compare rods and lines, regardless of length, taper and so on.

camtheflyman

not sponsored
WFF Supporter
I think the only difference in the cortland lines is probably the temperature range intended for the coating. The freshwater probably is meant to be in slightly cooler temps.

Rustic River

Hey guys, I have an update with choosing a new line for my Mangrove. I spoke with TFO on the phone and determined that indeed my issue with the Bass Bug line was likely because of the Mangrove's softer tip. I also spoke to two reputable guide and fly shop owners to get two different opinions on lines for the Mangrove and the two lines recommended to me were the Cortland Hi-Vis Flip line (one line weight heavy at 185 gr) and the Scientific Anglers Amplitude Grand Slam (just under one line weight heavy at 180 gr). Both are aggressively tapered fly lines which is what I was wanting considering I use this rod as a bass rod throwing poppers and streamers, but both are much lighter than that 210 gr Bass Bug line which comes in at two line weights heavy.

I ended up going with the SA Amplitude Grand Slam because the guide/shop owner who recommended it is local, so I thought he would know what worked well with that rod for our rivers and flies. I also went with it because I managed to find that line on sale for $78 which is much cheaper than its normal retail price of $130. That was a steal in my eyes. The SA Amplitude Grand Slam would be my first textured fly line and I was hesitant about that, but at the price I could get it, I had to try it.

Yesterday I went wade fishing for 10 hours, hitting the river at 7:00 AM and going until 5:00 PM when I finally was ready to call it a day. I walked many miles and got to really test out this new line on my Mangrove. I threw everything from big, heavy hair bugs and poppers to both weighted and unweighted streamers. I even put on SA's 7' Sonar Sink Tips (essentially polyleaders) to try them on this new line as well and in all situations I was blown away by the difference the Grand Slam made on this rod. It really brought the rod to life compared to the Bass Bug line that was just flat out too much for the Mangrove. I had no issues casting close or getting out to 50'. I also didn't struggle much when the wind kicked up in the afternoon.

After a long day on the water with this line and over 20 fish caught including a variety of bass, panfish and a nice channel cat, I can safely say that this line is a great pairing with this rod. And I can also say that I am now a believer in textured lines. You really can feel how much smoother they are through the guides. I always kinda thought they were a gimmick, but I can see now they are not. The line also floated much better than any smooth line I've ever owned. Just impressive.

And there you have it! A solution to my Mangrove issue. I finally like this rod as a bass rod.

Rob Allen

I'm fed up with all these line manufacturers mislabeling the weight of their lines. Let me decide if my rod needs to be lined over the rod manufacturers recommendations. Now when I buy a fly line, if I don't read the fine print, I don't know what I am buying. They are all responding to the rod manufacturers inability to recommend the right line for their rods. The worst part is that the few rod manufacturers that do a good job and make the correct recommendations have their rods matched with lines that don't fit.....great job of screwing the newbie!

Some truth to that. One word of caution however.
A rod being capable of carrying the weight of a fly line is different than the rod being capable of performing all the expected tasks for the line weight is casts.

Say you have a rod that is labeled 5 wt. But casts really nicely with a 7 wt line.. that does not make the rod a 7wt. It's stiff enough to be a 7 wt but it doesn't have the structural integrity to be a streamer or summer steelhead rod.

Old406Kid

Say you have a rod that is labeled 5 wt. But casts really nicely with a 7 wt line.. that does not make the rod a 7wt. It's stiff enough to be a 7 wt but it doesn't have the structural integrity to be a streamer or summer steelhead rod.

Isn't this where the lifetime warranty comes into play? :D

Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor/dbfly
Ever think that with all the new rods being produce every year it may be hard for line companies to keep up. And again lot of new rods are here today gone tomorrow too, I expect my fly lines to last more than one year of fishing.

miyawaki

I have been using the Cortland Specialty Floating Compact, 200gr 5/6 wt with my popper on the beaches for years now and wouldn’t change it. . .
Leland.

Rustic River

I don't know if I'll ever live to see the day where I pay $78 for a fly line and think it was a "steal."

Well, you get what you pay for. I've owned my fair share of fly lines and have to say that the Amplitude and Amplitude Smooth lines I own are definitely the best lines of any I have used. Like anybody else I don't like paying $100-130 for a fly line, but at the end of the day they usually are better. So yeah, $78 for a $130 line that shoots better through my guides and floats better on the water is a steal to me.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts