WFF Thank you guys. House cleaning.

Brian in OR.

Besides WFF I own FlyAngler.com. Obviously I never did anything with it but I've considered migrating washingtonflyfishing.com towards flyangler.com to extend beyond WA. The site would look the same, but with the new software version I should have the means to effectively support multiple regions, without having to commit sub-forums to do it.

Curious what everybody thinks about this.... Personally i think the forum now handles most people from the PNW and some from other states... If you put other regions in one lump sum i think it will kill the chemistry that makes WFF so unique...

Last edited:

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
Curious what everybody thinks about this.... Personally i think the forum now handles most people from the PNW and some from other states... If you put other regions in one lump sum i think it will kill the chemistry that makes WWF so unique...
I appreciate all the varied input from the other side of some lines on a map. The waters we fish tend to cross them, or are similar within them.

East Coaster

I know you guys will want the name displayed to be optional and it would be. It'll probably look identical to what's there today, still displaying the ID of your choice to the interwebz but under that user ID I'd like to display real names, but only to those who are logged in and verified themselves, and maybe over 100 posts or something. Names and addresses verified to signup \ use the classifieds.

The public, those who aren't registered or logged in, existing users not yet verified, would just see the user ID and not your names.
The downside of this is that if someone is an active member (100 or 500 posts or whatever) and has a grudge against someone else, they now have the person's real name and can "anonymously" send screenshots or whatever to their nemesis' HR, family, etc. Just something to consider. It would be interesting if you could share the benefit of what you're proposing, as the possible downside seems pretty consequential.

Chris Scoones

WFF Admin
WFF Supporter
It would be interesting if you could share the benefit of what you're proposing, as the possible downside seems pretty consequential.
You just made up some hypothetical grudge. I don't see any dots connecting to your "downside seems pretty consequential" assessment.

That said, there are enough classifieds transactions to justify an ID check. Without a solid ID check I'll not be able to ensure denial in process of covering you guys.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
I have no issues with having my ID verified by the mods, but I would have to seriously consider dropping off the forum before having my full name made public to hundreds of members on a forum that's 99% male.
Just...no.
:(

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
I think if people wanted to post under their real names, they'd register under them.
There's been enough cases of online feuds turning into real life confrontations with outcomes that include loss of employment and worse that its more than a hypothetical...that is obvious.
Given you can locate almost anyone, find their family, employer and even find out who owns the mortgage on their house ( just one example) in a few clicks....
What could go wrong...

East Coaster

You just made up some hypothetical grudge. I don't see any dots connecting to your "downside seems pretty consequential" assessment.
Maybe I need to clarify. There seem to be people on here who have issues with each other. You alluded to an issue with a prospective moderator as part of your post, so that's not hypothetical. It's not unique to this site, it comes with the territory. All I'm pointing out is that someone holding a grudge against another member would now have that member's name. It doesn't seem to me to be a great stretch to imagine that he/she could cause trouble for that person if they wanted to.. This happens all the time. By displaying real names, it opens up that possibility, and for the person who is targeted, it won't be pleasant. That's what I meant by "pretty consequential" - it's basically enabling internet stalking. Will it happen? Hopefully not, but it's more likely with the change than it is now. Hope that makes sense.

Edit: I see that while I was replying others have jumped in with similar scenarios/concerns.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
How are we going to verify names and addresses? Just curious if I need to dig out my McLoven ID.

In all seriousness, I understand some of the concerns already expressed by folks but would fully support that requirement if you want to participate in buying/selling on the classifieds. Not sure if that is feasible.

In any case, thanks for all you do Chris. Although I like the little PNW community we have participating on the forum now, I think it would be great to pull in more folks from around the country. There’s a lot we can learn from each other.

Reactions: dfl

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
While there is wisdom in keeping one's identity secure on line, Facebook notwithstanding (which I no longer participate in), anonymity can unleash an alter ego that one might not want to be associated with or face up to in their true identity.

It was written a few decades after my time (so maybe he went through it at the same time I did) but along with their faith, the wisdom and character contained in "All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten" by Robert Fulghum is what my Dad & Mom wanted to instill in me to live by and display to those around me. Personally, using my given name helps me be accountable to do that.

Thank You Chris for the suggestion, and for all you to make it possible for this community to exist.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts