WFF Thank you guys. House cleaning.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I've been on this site ever since I was thinking of retiring from Boeing. I retired in May of 1999., I've fished with many on here and also drank their beer. When I first started on here I used my name and last initial. I also have had a few different handles on here. I choose the handle because everybody kept calling me an Old Man.

Most people know my name. At least the ones I have partied with and drank with. It is Jim Swan. Real name is James. It's not Jimmy.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
You gonna make me change my handle. I've been old Man for a long time. Everybody knows who I am. A fixture would be lost if that happened.
Old Man, i love your name. I do not know your first and last name, but lets assign your real name as Mike Smith. Maybe you can be "MikeOldMan Smith" Or "OldManMike Smith"

Zak

WFF Supporter
I'm with Northern. I don't understand why anybody but Chris (and maybe mods) needs to see real names instead of handles.

I think political tensions are going to run much higher after November, and handles provide some buffer from online disagreements.

Using handles means that people are responding to what other people write, not who they are.

What are the reasons for members having access to other members' real names?

Thanks for this wonderful site, Chris!

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
View attachment 254369
A sincere thank you to the WFF Supporters! Especially while I'm coming up to speed in a new career, your support towards server & service fees is awfully nice. Thanks guys.

Privacy Clarification. The moderators / admin CANNOT see your offline conversations (PM's) unless they are invited to the discussion by yourself or the other conversation participants. If you would like a mod or myself to see a discussion, simple invite us to the conversation.

Moderator Changes. For now we're going to stick with Chris(myself), Billy & Josh as mods. Turns out, in order for Cam (steelhead) to work out as a mod I'd need to be actively supporting him to unravel some past stuff with other members. Right now I'm not in a position to do that effectively which isn't fare to Cam, so I'll say thanks for the volunteered assistance and maybe we'll revisit this in the future.

Maintenance. I've been cleaning up the forum which has included un-used accounts. Soon I'll be looking at discussions that can be removed, such as old NFR topics. I'll also have a look at the Media Gallery, which still sports 40K+ uploaded photos on it's own, outside of those uploaded to the forum itself. There are some gallery photos I can get rid of, and much I'd like to move from the gallery to posts in the forum, such as the 10 years of fly swap photos. I'll be running database queries again that can slow the site down on occation. Fyi.

Note. The cleanup I'm focused on has little to do with you guys, even if you have 100's of photos and 1000's of offline discussions. I'm really not concerned with your usage, not one bit. Please, no need to start deleting anything on your end. I'm cleaning up items that can make a real difference with the time it takes to complete backups, upgrades or database queries.

Forum Upgrade. The maintenance is in prep towards new software that will be available soon. There are quite a few new features already with this upgrade that I'm looking forward to trying out.

Talking out loud...
  • Besides WFF I own FlyAngler.com. Obviously I never did anything with it but I've considered migrating washingtonflyfishing.com towards flyangler.com to extend beyond WA. The site would look the same, but with the new software version I should have the means to effectively support multiple regions, without having to commit sub-forums to do it.
  • Presently I've got access to WFF restricted somewhat. If you aren't logged in you can see the forums along with their list of thread titles, but that's it. Trying to view the contents of a thread will prompt for login. I may leave it that way.
  • I've been wanting to migrate away from the usage of forum "ID" names, and towards verified identification with first and last names. I WILL NOT do that unless I can apply some common sense logic so that names are hidden from (1) those who aren't members, (2) brand new members by some measure, (3) google search, or any search spider, (4) perhaps other options to restrict the display of full names during posting, but not resulting in anonyminity.
Go for it Chris. Thank you for making this forum great. I am the REAL Greg Price and always have been.

D

Deleted member 10700

I used to have a username, but I've been using my real name so long I forget what it was. I really don't understand peoples fear of being known, I don't care much about being anonymous, except when it comes to the government.
As for expanding the footprint of WFF, I think having a healthy dose of folks from other backgrounds will be good for this forum, I mean diversity is a good thing, right?
Thanks @Chris Scoones for all the hard work.

DanielOcean

As far as the name thing goes, to each there own. Whether you support it or not you cant deny that individuals have rights to personal privacy as they see fit for there own personal situation and views.
Personally I would have had a full proposal and the small print figured out before announcing something like this.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts