NFR Springer Owners, Ear Issues??

• Thread starter Deleted member 10700
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10700

We have a 4 year old female Springer, Liver and White, and a little on the smallish side. Very healthy, very active dog. I don't hunt her but she gets plenty of exercise. About 2-1/2 years ago we switched both of our dogs to fresh food diets, rice being the only grain they get with chicken, pork or beef protein.
The Springer has had chronic yeast infection issues with her ears. She had been on at least six rounds of antibiotic ear drops over the course of the last couple years and yet we are having no consistent success with keeping her ears clear. She is professionally groomed and I clean her ears on a weekly basis. I have used both Apple Cider Vinegar and 50/50 hydrogen peroxide water mix on cotton swabs.
Could this be some kind of protein allergy? Her coat is smooth and very healthy so I'm disinclined to think its some kind of skin condition.
I hate that we can't get on top of this but after multiple trips to the Vet, with the same drops prescribed I"m beginning to believe she's becoming resistant to this one, I'm really reluctant to try something stronger and am beginning to wonder if the drops are part of the problem in fostering more yeast?

smc

We have a 4 year old female Springer, Liver and White, and a little on the smallish side. Very healthy, very active dog. I don't hunt her but she gets plenty of exercise. About 2-1/2 years ago we switched both of our dogs to fresh food diets, rice being the only grain they get with chicken, pork or beef protein.
The Springer has had chronic yeast infection issues with her ears. She had been on at least six rounds of antibiotic ear drops over the course of the last couple years and yet we are having no consistent success with keeping her ears clear. She is professionally groomed and I clean her ears on a weekly basis. I have used both Apple Cider Vinegar and 50/50 hydrogen peroxide water mix on cotton swabs.
Could this be some kind of protein allergy? Her coat is smooth and very healthy so I'm disinclined to think its some kind of skin condition.
I hate that we can't get on top of this but after multiple trips to the Vet, with the same drops prescribed I"m beginning to believe she's becoming resistant to this one, I'm really reluctant to try something stronger and am beginning to wonder if the drops are part of the problem in fostering more yeast?

Mark, some dogs are just prone to this. I’ve had great success with this: https://www.chewy.com/zymox-otic-pet-ear-treatment/dp/54785

Use twice daily until you’ve knocked the yeast back, then maint washings once every week or three.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
We had a pure breed cocker spaniel and experienced similar issues. It's somewhat common in that breed due to the weight of the ears, and hair creating lack of air flow. Regular cleanings and cuts made things better but we never solved it.

smc

My yellow lab suffered from yeasty ears until I tried this. Prescription meds were not helpful at all.

Just put a liberal amount into her ear, then massage it into the canal. It might even feel good to her. Repeat on the other ear. I really hope it helps your pup.

B

bennysbuddy

It was a constant problem ,when I had springer hunting dogs. I never solved the problem in twenty years

Albula

swollen member
I have an English Cocker, another breed prone to ear issues. My vet has me cleaning his ears twice a week with a solution called Mal-A-Ket Plus. No issues since we started.

John svah

We have a black and tan english springer named George. We got a water bowl that sits higher and keeps his ears out of the water. He hasnt had an ear issue since, fwiw. The bowls are called ‘no ears in here’. My guess is his ears were getting swamped in the bowl and then he would lay on em when they were wet? Not sure.

D

Deleted member 10700

I have an English Cocker, another breed prone to ear issues. My vet has me cleaning his ears twice a week with a solution called Mal-A-Ket Plus. No issues since we started.
Thanks! Is this just a cleaning treatment or do you have to do any other treatments afterwards?

D

Deleted member 10700

We have a black and tan english springer named George. We got a water bowl that sits higher and keeps his ears out of the water. He hasnt had an ear issue since, fwiw. The bowls are called ‘no ears in here’. My guess is his ears were getting swamped in the bowl and then he would lay on em when they were wet? Not sure.
We have one of her bowls up high like that but the outdoor water bowl is on the ground so I'll take care of that this week. Thanks.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info