CNWR

Buzzy

I wanted to hit Dry Falls but the plunge pool is really green, heavy algae bloom. Instead, I drove into the CNWR. I really love the Scablands - especially the seeps that have formed since the introduction of irrigation reservoirs and canals.
1.JPG 2.JPG
Sign post of the lake I hiked into.
3.JPG
As dry as it has been here in the Basin, this little lake is as full as I've ever seen it. Groundwater recharge, reservoir leakage, fractured basalt all spell seep lake.
4.JPG
Ain't no rocks in Grant or Adams Counties.
5.JPG
I posted a picture of this butt ugly poorly tied noise maker in "what's catching you fish" thread a day or two ago. Here it is again on the pause, the cactus chenille flares some.

From time to time I have had great success fishing a jig under a QR indicator on this lake. I know the contours quite well (home water advantage?) and can pretty much set the jig at depth and keep it near bottom as I kick around jigging away. Sometimes this technique doesn't work. This morning I hooked a nice trout on my first cast with the jig/indicator rig. First cast fish - evil omen or the start of a great day catching? Today - evil omen. Fishing was slow, three fish in three hours. I fished several different jigs, switched up to midges under an indicator and tried a hares ear on an indicator-less line.

One of the benefits of being an old fart is I've collected a few extra fishin' poles. Had three of them strung up today. Decided to heck with the indicator, to heck with the hares ear. Make some noise, generate turbulence; that's what it took.

For 45 minutes the butt ugly poorly tied streamer was the ticket - nine fish to the net and a half dozen lost and maybe a half dozen more missed. I was busy! I was fishing this butt ugly poorly tied streamer with a type-7 line, casting as far as I could (40 feet maybe) and counting it down. This is the @Starman77 technique he's taught me over the years. Today it worked. I felt tap, tap, tap on the sink a few times and a few hesitant taps on the retrieve rather than a hard tug. I found that if I stopped stripping when I missed a tap that I would sometimes get a grab.

Another lesson firmed up that I often ignore - fish your streamer right back to where the leader is in sight (rod tip). I had two fish follow my fly almost to the rod tip, missed both of them as I lifted the rod to cast; just wasn't expecting them to be there. I also had several grabs when my ten foot hang marker was just coming into view.

6.JPG
The water was 65 degrees this morning and 66 degrees when I quit. The water is amazingly clear, I can see bottom in 10 feet of water. A fairly typical trout. No midge hatch to speak of, a few mayfly spinners, a few dragonflies and a few adult damselflies. Lots of mosquitoes.

Coomba

I just came back from there last night after a four day trip. Great fishing, except for one lake that seems to have my number. The mosquitoes are bad which surprised me, while hiking out I had my tube on my back, two rods in one hand and my fins in the other and it was tough trying to keep them off me. I also see the first two miles of the upper Seep Lake road is closed for "fire danger", now they have it gated.

Buzzy

I just came back from there last night after a four day trip. Great fishing, except for one lake that seems to have my number. The mosquitoes are bad which surprised me, while hiking out I had my tube on my back, two rods in one hand and my fins in the other and it was tough trying to keep them off me. I also see the first two miles of the upper Seep Lake road is closed for "fire danger", now they have it gated.
It seems they close that gate every year for fire danger; it is private property at that end of the scablands. Did you fish the little gem that's pretty close to the gate? It got pounded by bait guys early in the season but I'd imagine any fish left wouldn't have to worry about a meal and could be substantial...

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts