Monic Intermediate Clear line review

Kfish

WFF Supporter
Monic fly line company in Colorado just came out with an all clear Intermediate fly line, available in 5-9wt. This is particularly interesting to us beach fishers as it's an all clear line and intermediate so I thought I'd give it a try, at $60 it's not too much of a gamble.

IMG_20200925_173444.jpg

IMG_20200925_190631.jpg

There is already the Airflo Beach line which is also all clear and intermediate but it was not fun to fish and does not cast as well as CQS or 40+, something about it's taper and being too supple... hard to pin down exactly but it can be a clunky to fish with. So, I wanted to try this Monic, who knows...this could be the it?

Monic website states that their lines are true to weight, so I ordered the next up 7wt (202-210gr) for my 6wt Meridian (medium-fast rod). In hindsight I should have gone with the 8wt line (230-240gr) which would have suited my casting style better.

It comes with loops at both ends with a thin shrink tube over the weld. It's thicker and bigger than I would prefer but totally acceptable if it helps with durability.

Texture: The line has a proprietary clear non-nylon mono core, it has some stretch to it but not as much as the CQS. It's very smooth and finger friendly for you softies :)

Running line thickness: I compared the Monic with CQS and Beach. Monic and Beach is the same thickness, and CQS is a smidge thinner. The Monic however is stiffer compared to the other 2 lines, see my very unscientific demo here haha. This helps it shoot better than the Beach in my opinion. It's been a while since I fished the Beach line but I remember it being very supple and susceptible to coil/knot stuck on the guides when shooting line.

Monic on top, CQS in middle, Airflo Beach on bottom for running line comparison.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200926104315022_COVER.jpg

Caliper closes down snug on Monic and Beach, CQS has a little sliding room under.

IMG_20200926_104916.jpg

IMG_20200926_105015.jpg

Memory: Monic coils a lot in my stripping basket but it actually shoots pretty well. Despite it's look I did not encounter one single tangle/knot through the guides from this morning session. Not sure if this will change later on since it's a brand new line but I do remember Beach having this problem early on.

IMG_20200926_080456.jpg

Casting: This being a clear line you don't have any indication of where the head ends so it's totally on feel while loading the rod. Line tracks well and straight, forms tight loops and shoot pretty well. I couldn't shoot it as far as I can with the CQS or 40+ but keep in mind those lines are heavier at around 230-240gr while this Monic 7wt is 202-210g. Maybe with a 8wt line on my 6wt I can get the same distance as CQS/40+.

Stripping: Soon as the line hits the water it sinks just subsurface and becomes invisible. It tracks straight and didn't form any annoying squigglies b/w the strips. It'll stay a couple inches subsurface on the strip in.

IMG_20200926_074019.jpg

Float test: See my video. The front tip, about 6ft of it is truly intermediate at about 1 ips, the rest of the line is what I would say "weight neutral floating" It rests just below the surface, not showing itself yet won't sink any further. I would classify this as "sub-surface float with a 1 ips sink tip"

My take on it: This Monic line adds another option to our beach game. For those who like to fish a floater and intermediate this line could possibly do both jobs. I fished a Leland's popper with it and the fly stayed on the surface the whole time despite giving the head a few minutes to sink.
On the other hand if you fish a heavier fly it would cover the subsurface zone pretty well although it won't be as deep as a true intermediate.

IMG_20200926_080424.jpg

IMG_20200926_062913.jpg

At $60 and American made it's a pretty good deal. I plan on getting a 8wt to better match my rod for SRC/Rezzies winter fishing where it's mainly shallow and will be able to fish both gurgler/popper and subsurface flies without swapping reels. I think this 7wt will pair nicely with my 5wt Radian for stillwater.

Thanks for reading,
Lou

Last edited:

NRC

WFF Supporter
Monic fly line company in Colorado just came out with an all clear Intermediate fly line, available in 5-9wt. This is particularly interesting to us beach fishers as it's an all clear line and intermediate so I thought I'd give it a try, at $60 it's not too much of a gamble.

View attachment 255438

View attachment 255437

There is already the Airflo Beach line which is also all clear and intermediate but it was not fun to fish and does not cast as well as CQS or 40+, something about it's taper and being too supple... hard to pin down exactly but it can be a clunky to fish with. So, I wanted to try this Monic, who knows...this could be the it?

Monic website states that their lines are true to weight, so I ordered the next up 7wt (202-210gr) for my 6wt Meridian (medium-fast rod). In hindsight I should have gone with the 8wt line (230-240gr) which would have suited my casting style better.

It comes with loops at both ends with a thin shrink tube over the weld. It's thicker and bigger than I would prefer but totally acceptable if it helps with durability.

Texture: The line has a proprietary clear non-nylon mono core, it has some stretch to it but not as much as the CQS. It's very smooth and finger friendly for you softies :)

Running line thickness: I compared the Monic with CQS and Beach. Monic and Beach is the same thickness, and CQS is a smidge thinner. The Monic however is stiffer compared to the other 2 lines, see my very unscientific demo here haha. This helps it shoot better than the Beach in my opinion. It's been a while since I fished the Beach line but I remember it being very supple and susceptible to coil/knot stuck on the guides when shooting line.

Monic on top, CQS in middle, Airflo Beach on bottom for running line comparison.

View attachment 255433

Caliper closes down snug on Monic and Beach, CQS has a little sliding room under.

View attachment 255432

View attachment 255431

Memory: Monic coils a lot in my stripping basket but it actually shoots pretty well. Despite it's look I did not encounter one single tangle/knot through the guides from this morning session. Not sure if this will change later on since it's a brand new line but I do remember Beach having this problem early on.

View attachment 255434

Casting: This being a clear line you don't have any indication of where the head ends so it's totally on feel while loading the rod. Line tracks well and straight, forms tight loops and shoot pretty well. I couldn't shoot it as far as I can with the CQS or 40+ but keep in mind those lines are heavier at around 230-240gr while this Monic 7wt is 202-210g. Maybe with a 8wt line on my 6wt I can get the same distance as CQS/40+.

Stripping: Soon as the line hits the water it sinks just subsurface and becomes invisible. It tracks straight and didn't form any annoying squigglies b/w the strips. It'll stay a couple inches subsurface on the strip in.

View attachment 255436

Float test: See my video. The front tip, about 6ft of it is truly intermediate at about 1 ips, the rest of the line is what I would say "weight neutral floating" It rests just below the surface, not showing itself yet won't sink any further. I would classify this as "sub-surface float with a 1 ips sink tip"

My take on it: This Monic line adds another option to our beach game. For those who like to fish a floater and intermediate this line could possibly do both jobs. I fished a Leland's popper with it and the fly stayed on the surface the whole time despite giving the head a few minutes to sink.
On the other hand if you fish a heavier fly it would cover the subsurface zone pretty well although it won't be as deep as a true intermediate.

View attachment 255435

View attachment 255439

At $60 and American made it's a pretty good deal. I plan on getting a 8wt to better match my rod for SRC/Rezzies winter fishing where it's mainly shallow and will be able to fish both gurgler/popper and subsurface flies without swapping reels. I think this 7wt will pair nicely with my 5wt Radian for stillwater.

Thanks for reading,
Lou
That is an awesome writeup, much obliged!

TheAngler

Great review. For the 6wt Meridian, the Beach line worked a lot better for me when I use 7WT line. Do you use the 6WT or 7WT Beach line on the 6WT Meridian rod?

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
The specs appear to say a six weight 40+ is between an AFFTA 9 & 10, and a six weight Beach is an AFFTA 8 weight.

The 40+ WF6I casts nicely on my medium fast Scott A4 but I can feel the rod bog down if I overpower it. I don't know how different the Meridian action and power are from the A4.

I like an integrated sink tip because the floating running line isn't as easy to get stepped on as a full intermediate. A 40+ intermediate ST sinks like a rock compared to a 444 WF5I clear camo I use for lakes on my 5 weight, and the few times I've used the 40+ floating a lake it's worked great; better than the Cortland! But at the beach I have to strip fast to keep from hanging up on the bottom; especially with weighted flies.

I have been watching these beach line threads hoping someone will say they've found an intermediate integrated sinktip line that doesn't kink, snap, or lose chunks of coatings with a bit less of a sink rate than the 40+ to try an AFFTA 7 or 8 weight equivalent line.

Last edited:

Kfish

WFF Supporter
Great review. For the 6wt Meridian, the Beach line worked a lot better for me when I use 7WT line. Do you use the 6WT or 7WT Beach line on the 6WT Meridian rod?
I had a 6wt Beach. Did you have a lot of tangles hitting the guides with 7wt?

Brian Miller

WFF Supporter
This being a clear line you don't have any indication of where the head ends so it's totally on feel while loading the rod
I mark my sinking lines for distance with a felt pen using one stripe for every 10 feet out to 50 ft so I know how much line I've got out and stripped in.

wetswinger

Great thorough review!...It sure is a challenge to get the line and rod to match-up on the first try anymore.. Glad you can use it on another rod. I have a shelf with a few "trial runs" of my own. Monic seems like a great value at $60..

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I think the reason that the Beach line is so clunky to cast is the diameter of the running line. It doesn’t shoot as well and takes a bit more effort to cast then other lines.
As far as durability, it sets the standard as far as beach lines go in my opinion. Three years and counting on mine. Airflo lines in general are very durable.
I hope in the future MayFly introduces a 40+ full intermediate versus the current offering with a floating line and some decent line colors.
The lines with longer heads are nicer casting, again just my opinion.
Factory installed loops on their other 40+ lines would be nice as well.

Nice to see a line offering like Monic is doing without approaching the $100 mark.
SF

Brian Miller

WFF Supporter
I hope in the future MayFly introduces a 40+ full intermediate versus the current offering with a floating line and some decent line colors.
SF
On my first SRC foray I used a WF5I 444 Clear Camo (and hooked - landed SRC!). Even though I was using a (lousy) stripping basket the line would find its way into the water and during the flood it was being pushed around my feet. Afterwards I noticed a few small nicks in the line and smoothed them out with fine emery cloth and have been able to use it for lakes. A floating running line doesn't get down near my feet where it can get stepped on.

Why full intermediate?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
On my first SRC foray I used a WF5I 444 Clear Camo (and hooked - landed SRC!). Even though I was using a (lousy) stripping basket the line would find its way into the water and during the flood it was being pushed around my feet. Afterwards I noticed a few small nicks in the line and smoothed them out with fine emery cloth and have been able to use it for lakes. A floating running line doesn't get down near my feet where it can get stepped on.

Why full intermediate?

You catch a lot less weeds and wind chop with a full intermediate or type 3 with a intermediate running line versus a intermediate with a floating running line.
Having fished both a full intermediate and the 40+ intermediate, I’ll take the full intermediate all day, every day.
Never found stepping on a full intermediate line to be an issue while beach fishing.
SF

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts