Out Of The Mouths Of Babes

Old406Kid

So I'm fishing a Selective Gear lake today and a bankie shows up with his young daughter.
I'm thinking great that Dad is getting some quality time with his little one and go about my business.
Before long I hear a big sploosh followed shortly by a second one and turn to see Dad propping his 'pole' in the rocks.
After observing a bit I work my way back over and ask him if he's using bait. His reply was "nope just plain old plastics".
So I ask if they're are scented and again he says "nope just plain old plastics".
At that point his daughter chimes in and says "and they really stink".
Dad being Dad says "yup they stink like plastic".
And then the golden moment when the little girl says "no Daddy they REALLY stink!"
Having heard all I needed to I backed off a bit and in plain sight of him started texting one of our wardens.
And wouldn't you know it, within less than 60 seconds he was packed up and on his way.

I'm sure the warden got a chuckle by my followup message.

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
Many times.
I too have had to ask "did ya know" when the dad had the kids out to fish.
They have always said I didn't know.
At least I never had a dad tell me to "F" off in front of his kids.

Old Man

A very Old Man
Many, many years ago you used to be able to fish Spada Lake. But no bait of any kind. I was just out for a bit during the week and I came up on a guy fishing from the bank. He had his line in the water before I stopped to bull shit with him. He reeled up what he had on and it was a spinner with a worm on it. I told him bait of any kind was not allowed on this lake. This was before Cell Phones. I left after that and drove to the head of the lake. When I came back down he was gone.

Why is it that people get a copy of the regs but don't read them or know where they are fishing at. Spada Lake is well known and there are signs all around heading that way.

Old406Kid

Many, many years ago you used to be able to fish Spada Lake. But no bait of any kind. I was just out for a bit during the week and I came up on a guy fishing from the bank. He had his line in the water before I stopped to bull shit with him. He reeled up what he had on and it was a spinner with a worm on it. I told him bait of any kind was not allowed on this lake. This was before Cell Phones. I left after that and drove to the head of the lake. When I came back down he was gone.

Why is it that people get a copy of the regs but don't read them or know where they are fishing at. Spada Lake is well known and there are signs all around heading that way.

I think it should be mandatory that people get a copy of the regs along with their license.
Also the license should include an acknowledgement that has to be signed saying that you received them.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I think it should be mandatory that people get a copy of the regs along with their license.
Also the license should include an acknowledgement that has to be signed saying that you received them.
I think you should have to pass a test, just like driving and hunting. But we all know there are just those folk out there who poach.

bobduck

Whiskey Tastes Best from a TIN CUP
I agree wholeheartedly. It's a great idea. But I had an experience a few months back on the Deschutes. My buddy and were camped on the lower river and had neighbors camped next to us that seemed like a nice young couple with two dogs that didn't bark. We had just returned to camp for a cold bev when the guy came to the edge of our camp and asked if it was ok to keep an invasive species. Like what I asked. A big sucker. He thought there was a reward for them. I told him he was thinking of pike minnows and they didnt' exist on this part of the river. As he's walking away I said, what did you catch him with? As he continued walking away he said A worm. Now we had watched him and his wife and both dogs (one big) crawl into a pup tent the night before and figured they were new to this camping and fishing thing. My buddy and I were shaking our heads and I told him, they seem nice so I'm gonna grab my regs book and go talk to them. He was sitting at river's edge with his pole in a forked stick and a line out in the water. I was right. He had never been there before or even fished much. I told him I didn't want him to get in trouble and that bait was not allowed. Then I said, if you want to really enjoy this river and get the most it has to offer then try fly fishing it. If you get started you'll learn to love it and when you spend hundreds of dollars for a good fly rod your wife will probably hate me. He said thanks and it was earnest and he reeled in and they just enjoyed the camping. And those two dogs never barked once.

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
I agree wholeheartedly. It's a great idea. But I had an experience a few months back on the Deschutes. My buddy and were camped on the lower river and had neighbors camped next to us that seemed like a nice young couple with two dogs that didn't bark. We had just returned to camp for a cold bev when the guy came to the edge of our camp and asked if it was ok to keep an invasive species. Like what I asked. A big sucker. He thought there was a reward for them. I told him he was thinking of pike minnows and they didnt' exist on this part of the river. As he's walking away I said, what did you catch him with? As he continued walking away he said A worm. Now we had watched him and his wife and both dogs (one big) crawl into a pup tent the night before and figured they were new to this camping and fishing thing. My buddy and I were shaking our heads and I told him, they seem nice so I'm gonna grab my regs book and go talk to them. He was sitting at river's edge with his pole in a forked stick and a line out in the water. I was right. He had never been there before or even fished much. I told him I didn't want him to get in trouble and that bait was not allowed. Then I said, if you want to really enjoy this river and get the most it has to offer then try fly fishing it. If you get started you'll learn to love it and when you spend hundreds of dollars for a good fly rod your wife will probably hate me. He said thanks and it was earnest and he reeled in and they just enjoyed the camping. And those two dogs never barked once.
Reasonable people can come to reasonable decisions given the right information. Nice to see your camping neighbor was one of them.

Old406Kid

I always carry extra copies of the regs and just handed out a copy to a couple of guys yesterday.
They actually inquired and were thankful for the help.

bobduck

Whiskey Tastes Best from a TIN CUP
I always carry extra copies of the regs and just handed out a copy to a couple of guys yesterday.
They actually inquired and were thankful for the help.

Great idea. I've approached guys before and started out by saying I'm not a cop but should one show up you may have an issue. Always seem to take it well. I'm off to get more regs books.

triploidjunkie

Just yesterday, an employee of mine was bragging about a tiger musky he caught. When he showed me the picture, he was standing in his bath tub holding a three foot musky up with both hands. Now this guy isn't the brightest, so I told him they had to be 50 inches to keep. He said he knew, but the resort owner was right there when he caught it, and said it was ok. She didn't want them in "her" lake. My jaw literally fell open!
"She has no say whatsoever on the matter."
Him, "What"?
"She doesn't own the lake"!
"She said she does"
SMH.

Lakota

I've had a few encounters with families in clear violation of the regs. Most recently on a sunny spring day when I took a friend on a scenic float down a popular Puget Sound steelhead river. At the takeout, a grandpa and a kid about 10 years old were wadered up catching and releasing smolts on little spinners. I took grandpa aside and explained that the river was closed to all fishing and got out my gazettere and pointed out a nearby lake full of stockers. He said thanks and they took off in their car. I'm still not sure if they knew they were at fault or if it was just a mistake but I hope they found some legal fish that day and the kid learned something.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts