Puget Sound v Boston Harbor

Ohamill

East WA Native, West WA Transplant
The firm I’m working for is looking into some restructuring and floated the option of moving some employees to the Boston office. About half the fishing I’ve done in the last year has been in the sound for convenience sake and deer island is only a 15 minute drive from our office in Boston. I’d be interested to hear about people’s experiences comparing one body to the other in regards to shore-fishing. Anybody have experience moving from one to the other?

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
More striped bass and false albacore near Boston than salmon these days in PS as well.....+2

You have to live on the east coast though....-1.

East Coaster

You have to live on the east coast though....-1.
Hey, I resemble that remark! :)

Didn't fish much when I lived in RI, but one downside is that New England winters are a lot colder than in the PNW, and a lot of the fish mentioned above (stripers, albies, blues) won't be around in the dead of winter. Probably better year-round flyfishing in the Sound. Not to rub it in (okay, maybe a little), but although you might not have much flyfishing in winter, you will be able to catch local NBA and NHL teams in action......

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
WFF Supporter
Shad fishing too, the trout fishing is meh. It's a spring/fall game for stripers, summer goes dead. unless you love warmwater fishin'

Deer Island is where the sewage treatment plant is. Not exactly a destination...

Ohamill

East WA Native, West WA Transplant
@wadin' boot lol. A quick online glance marked it as a quick trip from the office. Can’t always choose where to fish on a married schedule, lol.

patrick1

Hit me up if you head out this way. It's not so bad out here. 2 hours west for decent freshwater fishing, 2 hours east to cape cod for better than the harbor striper fishing. 6 hours west for steelhead and salmon ;)

5weight

Shad fishing too, the trout fishing is meh. It's a spring/fall game for stripers, summer goes dead. unless you love warmwater fishin'

Deer Island is where the sewage treatment plant is. Not exactly a destination...
You could probably catch some "Browns" there.

• Haha
Reactions: Zak

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
The outfall is now quite far offshore.

I've found the striper fishing to be very good around Marblehead when I've gone back to visit family in mid-August. And Boston Harbor has several islands that should have solid striper fishing. The name of the game is to cast into the green water of a crashing wave and strip back to the boat.
If you want to go lighter tackle, you can fish for mackerel off the rocks too. Or fishing for schoolies (small stripers) as they forage in the tidal ponds along the North and South Shore and migrate in and out with the tides.

Steve

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Hey, I resemble that remark! :)

Didn't fish much when I lived in RI, but one downside is that New England winters are a lot colder than in the PNW, and a lot of the fish mentioned above (stripers, albies, blues) won't be around in the dead of winter. Probably better year-round flyfishing in the Sound. Not to rub it in (okay, maybe a little), but although you might not have much flyfishing in winter, you will be able to catch local NBA and NHL teams in action......

I grew up in Connecticut and all my family is still there. I know your pain. One thing I’ll say about New England is the trout fishing can be underrated. Even in CT, little blue lines can produce some solid fishing, especially for brookies. Also very good smallmouth fishing in a lot of places. If you can swing a small boat it opens a lot of saltwater options.

Last edited:

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
WFF Supporter
@wadin' boot lol. A quick online glance marked it as a quick trip from the office. Can’t always choose where to fish on a married schedule, lol.

On satellite, the tip of Deer Island on a stiff tide off that walking trail MId September to late October be worth investigating. Bring your wife: "honey, it's nice out, let's go for a walk....with our 8 weights....by the sewage plant...no...I'm serious"

Then again I have no shame and would probably fish the Seabrook or the Yankee Pilgrim outflow if they still are churning. All three are marvels of engineering, Deer Island especially. That place almost single handedly is why Boston harbor has fish.

Steve says

The outfall is now quite far offshore.

But it is way more than that, and makes our sewage stations on Puget should look bush league. Deer Island has egg-shaped skyscrapers of shit fermentation, visible from the Boston Gahden, Reveah Beach, and Fenway's Green Monstah. Their sortah ruminant lumens, stuffed with the fruits of a Boston diet- (potato chips, donuts, beans, chowdah, anger and other boiled meats) generate millions of pounds of methane. They burn it, they boil water with it, they make steam that turns the generators that crank the power that lets them keep the beah cold and the lights on in every triple deckah in Nahant and at least a couple of Packies and one of the two Dunkin's in Winthrop. As if that's not green shitstreet cred enough, it's plastered with wind turbines and solar cells.

On a rare Noreaster, Winthrop can churn a pretty good surf break too, if you don't mind surfing frothy sets.

Incidentally all of those beach and coast roads in Massachusetts take for fuckinevah to go where you want to go.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts