Puget Sound v Boston Harbor

Lett

Want more time on the water
WFF Supporter
Lived in RI in the mid 90's through 2000 and got into Salt water fly fishing Loved it. My best was a 17lb striper off a beach in Sakonnet next to the MA border. Blues, False Albacore - WAY fun. Still in touch with folks in RI and MA. They are now talking about the sustainability of the Striper and bluefish (yes...blue fish) fishery. Sound familiar?
My experience is seriously dated, but I will say the SW scene is similar to Salmon here: There are seasons. There are places that are crowded and there are places that are not. Tides and weather matter. Sometimes you will have to spend a couple of hours on the road. You must spend time on the water in the right place to make it work.

A larger issue is work life balance. I can't really speak to your situation. I liked living there when I did, and I would love to go back for a week to fish, but wouldn't want to take up residence now. The east coast is different...period.

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Their sortah ruminant lumens, stuffed with the fruits of a Boston diet- (potato chips, donuts, beans, chowdah, anger and other boiled meats) generate millions of pounds of methane. They burn it, they boil water with it, they make steam that turns the generators that crank the power that lets them keep the beah cold and the lights on in every triple deckah in Nahant and at least a couple of Packies and one of the two Dunkin's in Winthrop. As if that's not green shitstreet cred enough, it's plastered with wind turbines and solar cells.
Also, one minor correction. There are very few triple deckahs in Nahant - more upscale. Now Eastie, Southie, or Dot, my old neighborhood are all filled with them. In fact, I lived in one for a few years when I was a youngster. Shocking to see what they are selling (and here) for today (or as converted condos...).
Steve

Fotdesign

Everything seems closer in New England. I lived in Maine and New Hampshire before moving to Seattle in the early 90’s. I could be in multiple states in a few hours, which was great for a variety of fishing. Definitely more seasonal fishing back east. But skiing and ice climbing kept me busy during the winter. I’d go visit now and checkout the striper fishing. That way, you at least get a fun trip out of it if you decide not to move. My friend is doing great off the beach in Maine. Checkout this link for details: https://12wt.com/stories/unexpected-catch/

I’d live in either location. Both have given me great friendships and good fishing.

East Coaster

@Lett I've lived in NJ for 36 years, having grown up in RI. The striper and bluefish are in trouble. Here in NJ, this year we now have a 3 fish limit on blues, whereas before there was no limit. Stripers have been under pressure for a while, with regs constantly changing to try to protect stocks. I know from reading all the posts here on WFF that this is the norm for the salmonid fisheries out there, so for the OP, it won't seem all that strange.

Honestly, I've spent my whole life here and really like it, but I am jealous of what you have out there in terms of fishing opportunities and the natural beauty of the area (love the Puget Sound thread). Wouldn't mind spending a few years out there, and I'm guessing for someone that grew up out there, the east coast would hold a certain appeal as well (the grass is always greener.....).

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
WFF Supporter
Also, one minor correction. There are very few triple deckahs in Nahant - more upscale. Now Eastie, Southie, or Dot, my old neighborhood are all filled with them. In fact, I lived in one for a few years when I was a youngster. Shocking to see what they are selling (and here) for today (or as converted condos...).
Steve

did my triple decker time in Allston/Brighton for years. Although the front room is the biggest, it is also the coldest....

patrick1

@Ohamill, Jack Gartside wrote a book on fishing Boston Harbor that is worth investigating. Pretty much a basic guide to fishing everywhere, but it doesn't tell you where to park.

Ohamill

East WA Native, West WA Transplant
@Ohamill, Jack Gartside wrote a book on fishing Boston Harbor that is worth investigating. Pretty much a basic guide to fishing everywhere, but it doesn't tell you where to park.

Thanks for mentioning it. I’ve perused the internet for the last couple days and can’t find one for sale on amazon or another bookseller since his website currently has them out of order. I believe he also passed about a decade ago, so I’m not sure how many more copies will print. Anybody willing to part with theirs or have a lead I’d be interested in taking a look.

Lett

Want more time on the water
WFF Supporter
@Ohamill - Looks like you got a significant response. If you are still up to research further, my guides were Lou Tabory's Inshore Fly Fishing ( Lyons and Burford 1992) and Ray Bondorew's Stripers and Streamers (Amato 1996). Fair disclosure: The fly patterns are dated, and there is no hot-spotting in either besides Montauk, Cape Cod or the rocks of RI. However there are some really insightful discussions of the what's , how's and, importantly, why's - of north east coastal fisheries.
Yes...stripers are awesome fish.

patrick1

You guys were talking trash about one of my spots so I had to go make sure it was its same old self (no parking, little bit of rotten egg smell, too windy for my RPL, and no mid day fish).
3A41D2DF-C4B8-4E57-A32F-D34E18FC259B.JPG

fishy

Lived on both coasts for extended periods. Fishing ops are light years better on the east coast now. I spent last fall on Narragansett Bay......all the stripers, blues, bonito, albies, sea bass I could care to catch, with no gill nets, ESA listings, quotas, etc. Unless you got a rig that can reach albies, our opportunities here on the west coat kinda suck now........

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts