Back up camera saves marriage....LOL

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I suck at backing a trailer up. I either turn the wheel the wrong way or try to drive to damn fast. But if I bear down I can do it. I've seen some friends get in a truck and just back the trailer up without a hardly a glance.

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
Backing up a trailer is one of those things that guys are supposed to know how to do, but nobody ever teaches. As somebody who regularly launches a boat at the Shilshole ramp in Seattle, I can see that there’s definitely an opportunity there for someone with strong nerves and a lot of patience!

Gadabout_Trout

I suck at backing our trailer. Some days I'm good, some days I'm bad. If I'm having trouble the wife will offer to back in and gets it done. At times she's offered to back it in, has trouble, and I take over and can do it quickly. So as long as we're both there I guess we're okay :)

Timson

My son drives a newer Dodge, I have been a Ford fan for over 50 years. The back up camera is an amazing tool to guide me into tight places, funny thing though, why does a chev need 1 to allow the usual tow truck to bring it home?

jwg

Curious if you are all speaking strictly of the vehicle back up camera, or if the rear end of trailers can also have a backup camera

J

Ps. No,skills here anymore. I could back up a boat easily as a teenager, but lost the skill without regular use.

BDD

I have three trailers; one is a pram and one is a light raft trailer. For years I didn't appreciate what a backup camera could do for me because both were so light, all I had to do was get close enough then just pick up the trailer tongue and put it in the ball. But the third trailer is too heavy to move like that. After getting spoiled with a camera on one truck, I immediately put one on the other. Saves all kinds of personal hassle and headache though can't say it's done anything for the marriage.

I first learned backing trailers at work and with time and practice, first by turning my head around and later using the mirrors, I got comfortable with it. For awhile I was parking a 72 inch trailer inside a 76 inch gate. It wasn't too much trouble so long as I straight shot at it. But any corner proved more problematic.

I was recently humbled (and a little embarrassed) about a month ago. It was the first time backing my pram with my flat bed with the side racks on. You can't see anything out the back and the pram is so short and narrow, you can't see it at all until it's essentially jackknifed. I kept telling myself as long as I didn't see trailer, I was okay, but I kept over correcting until I could see the trailer and by then, it was going too far in the opposite direction to catch up. I need to practice with that particular combination a little more. Otherwise, I'm usually okay. As with many things in life, the more you do it, the better you get at it.

David Loy

Senior Moment
I’m pretty good with backing a trailer, ben doing it for 50+ years. Currently using a “backup camera” though on a family cruising boat. This one’s fairly blind (high stern) backing into a slip, so pretty useful. Can do it without, but it just might save just a marriage ;-).

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Years ago when I was attempting to teach my former Bride to back the trailer down a very wide ramp, after numerous attempts and jack-knife episodes, she stopped, set the brake, exited the truck and emphatically stated: "THIS is YOUR job!" And so it remained . . .

She did prove her mettle one time when a lady zipped a small boat ahead & jumped the take-out procession in front of us at a busy launch one day. She chastised the gal quite severely - made me proud! What made it better was the fact that the gal's husband happened to be a Department of Energy manager who provided frequent oversight of projects I managed. He just looked at me quite sheepishly and apologized. His wife experienced the justified ire of a Montana girl . . .

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
I have three trailers; one is a pram and one is a light raft trailer. For years I didn't appreciate what a backup camera could do for me because both were so light, all I had to do was get close enough then just pick up the trailer tongue and put it in the ball. But the third trailer is too heavy to move like that. After getting spoiled with a camera on one truck, I immediately put one on the other. Saves all kinds of personal hassle and headache though can't say it's done anything for the marriage.

I first learned backing trailers at work and with time and practice, first by turning my head around and later using the mirrors, I got comfortable with it. For awhile I was parking a 72 inch trailer inside a 76 inch gate. It wasn't too much trouble so long as I straight shot at it. But any corner proved more problematic.

I was recently humbled (and a little embarrassed) about a month ago. It was the first time backing my pram with my flat bed with the side racks on. You can't see anything out the back and the pram is so short and narrow, you can't see it at all until it's essentially jackknifed. I kept telling myself as long as I didn't see trailer, I was okay, but I kept over correcting until I could see the trailer and by then, it was going too far in the opposite direction to catch up. I need to practice with that particular combination a little more. Otherwise, I'm usually okay. As with many things in life, the more you do it, the better you get at it.
Backing up trailers that you can't see is pretty tough. Try sticking a broom handle or something on it sticking out towards the driver's side where you can see it.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
I keep reading the title of this thread and thinking it's about a story our old IT person told me. This is thread drift, so apologies, here it is regardles:

Our IT (Chris) guy was working on my computer. The hard drive had crashed and he was trying to figure out if he could do anything to save it. This was at least a decade ago, and our IT at that point was an independent guy who would visit our job sites when you needed help, so you got to see/watch what he was doing - which also provided the opportunity to pick his brain and chit chat while he was doing his IT thing. We started chatting and I asked him (Chris) what the chance are of salvaging the hard drive. Chris explained how hard drives work and mentioned that it really depended how bad it was. Also, he pointed out that there were forensic companies that could recover 100% of what was recoverable, but that it took a lot of effort to make it happen. But, it was really expensive because of how much time it took. He told me about a guy who brought him a laptop and had asked him to recover everything on it. It was in similar condition as mine (hard drive had crashed), and rather than just get a new one after he was told it was shot, he asked Chris what it would take to recover everything. Chris said he couldn't do it, but he could send it to a forensic lab and they could. But, it costs in the range of $15K. Without batting an eye, the guy tells him to do it. So, Chris gets a quote from the lab to do a full forensic hard drive recovery and sends it to the guy and he says "do it". Afterwards, Chris is giving the files that were recovered back to the guy and asks, "I gotta know, what was on that computer that was worth $15K?" The guy goes on to tell Chris that a year back, they put all of their wedding and honeymoon photos on that computer. Every day for the next year, his new bride would ask him to backup the photos so that if anything ever happened their precious memories would be preserved elsewhere (apparently it was a hug expensive wedding and they honeymooned in Europe for 3 weeks).

Regardless, one night he got sick and tired of her asking him to backup the pictures and he just told her he'd backed them up - even though he hadn't. When the hard drive with all their wedding and honeymoon photos crashed, he figured it was cheaper to spend $15K on the recovery effort than on a divorce.

MD

WFF Supporter
Story time and a little more thread drift…..back in the day I had a friend who was a videographer. He filmed our wedding as a gift. Against my wife’s wishes, I never took the time to make a copy or even label the darn cassette…..and then I accidentally taped a bootleg copy of a River Runs Through It over the top. It went over about as well as one might imagine:rolleyes:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts