Reference Lamson LP-2 reel manual

Buzzy

I have a "vintage" Lamson LP2 that I've used, abused and still truly enjoy using. Archuleta Reels repaired it for me once (great resource, great service). I recently purchased a second LP2 from a forum member and used the reel for the first time two days ago. I was stripping line off the reel to make a cast when suddenly the "click" stopped working and the drag loosened. Not a big deal, I was able to tighten the drag knob slightly and was in business.

This morning I pulled the reel apart and compared my new reel (right side of photo) to my old reel. The pawl had rotated to the side so it wasn't contacting the drag gear. I've rotated the pawl back into position. I noticed the pawl spring differs from the older reel (so what?).

I tried searching the the web today to find a bit more on maintenance of these reels, struck out. A thought occurred to me: look in the box the newly purchased reels came in. Low and behold - a reel pamphlet. "It is recommended that a small amount of silicone grease be applied to the spindle". I guess I've been lubing the wrong parts on my old reel for years. SH--!

What "silicone grease" do you all recommend for lubing the spindle?
Lamson LP2.JPG

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
Call Bill? I have a Bauer MZ4 that I bought used and sent in to have it serviced. Bauer recommended Mobil One synthetic grease, but I don’t know if it’s silicone, don’t think so.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Just looked at all my LP 2's and they all looked like your picture on the left. They are all early models. Maybe a later model?

All my reels are solid and not ported...

Last edited:
B

bennysbuddy

The only bad thing about the LPs is if you get the drag wet(the round device ) they will slip until they have dried out. I keep a extra close by and just trade it out until a day or two passes and the original one dries out & works again.

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
The only bad thing about the LPs is if you get the drag wet(the round device ) they will slip until they have dried out. I keep a extra close by and just trade it out until a day or two passes and the original one dries out & works again.
Bill Archuleta has a fix for that. I bought and LP4 on this forum and has the seller ship it direct to him. He said he put in a new clutch material that specifically fixes that issue and having used it in weather that was icing up rod guides, it does work.

Buzzy

Just looked at all my LP 2's and they all looked like your picture on the left. They are all early models. Maybe a later model?

All my reels are solid and not ported...
The ported reel was paid as a "wage" (along with a Sage 690 SP (and line)) for working the Blue Dun one winter for a couple weeks. I don't know what year (reel vintage) except I was driving '90 Chevy S10 2WD and while Bill and Darc were sweating their butts off on Christmas Island, and for two weeks I was slipping on snowy roads between Ephrata and Wenatchee. ;-) The solid reel I think may be an older vintage although it is in pristine condition (must have been in a box somewhere).

I found silicone lube in my saltwater tackle box. Think I will call Bill and see about a tune up on the old reel, the spool wobbles..... spindle wear, bushing wear? Or nothing to worry about.

@bennysbuddy - @Robert Engleheart is right, Archuleta Reels can fix that loose drag issue.

Thanks all.

Jim B

I bougth my LP 2 and LP 3.5 about 30 years ago, from John Farrar at Kaufmann's Bellevue shop, along with a tube of Phil Waterproof Grease that they recommended highly, and I've used it on all my reels ever since. I still have a smidge in that original tube.

SuperSecretCIA

Be Like Mike!
"Abu Garcia silicone based reel grease with PTFE is formulated to help protect vital fishing reel parts from rust and corrosion. Lube retains consistency in hot and cold climates. Reel grease comes in a squeeze tube for easy application. 1oz. tube."

You can purchase at Amazon or Walmart. Best grease I have found for fishing reels and the tubes lasts like ten years or so.

Attachments

• Grease.jpg
    Grease.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 4

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts