Crabbing while fishing from the beach?

Zak

WFF Supporter
When I go SRC fishing in MA9 near Mukilteo, I usually go to one beach and stay there for several hours. I don't know much about crabbing. Is there any sense in heaving some kind of trap out and letting it sit while I fish up and down the beach, checking it occasionally? If so, what's a good system for that? Thanks!

Jake

In my limited experience crabbing, and my experience wading that beach, I wouldn’t think you’d have much success during the daytime. Nighttime with a full moon, maybe, but most of the time I set my crab pots in 80’ of water. But, then, I’m only interested in Dungies. YMMV.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I do a thing I call hillbilly crabbing that works pretty well and eliminates the need to carry a heavy crab trap or a gear rod to cast a snare. This is super light weight, cheap and easy to do.
Take 6’ green garden stake, some wire and a crab bait box. If you don’t have a bait box, a plastic Gatorade / coke bottle with small holes cut in it will work.
Fill the bait box or bottle with bait. Attached the box or bottle to the stake with the wire and push the stake into the beach bottom. This works best on sandy bottoms but will work in gravel as well.
I like to set the stake in 2-3’ of water.

I like to fish near the stake as the current moves the scent down current.
The reason I like to fish near the stake is I enjoy watching how the crabs emerge from deeper water and how they react and attack the bait.
The key is to be able to put yourself between them and deeper water, as they move fast and try to move to deeper water once they notice you.
I try to force them into shallower water with my feet and then scope them up with a net.
I find this just as fun as fishing itself and I’ve had decent success doing this.
I can post pictures of the set-up if anyone needs a visual.
SF

Last edited:

IHFISH

WFF Supporter

VMP

A friend found a castable trap in Goodwill and pass it to me years ago, haven't used it myself. Back in the day, and even recently to a lesser extent, you could find keeper Dungeness crabs wading the beaches at low tide and with patience and perseverance you could catch them with no other tools than your boots...ahh, just saw Vandelay with a prime example.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
This is something I have wondered about as well.

I did a little research and came accross this guy awhile back. He has a few videos with crab snares in action and seems to be pretty successful. Assuming this would be legal in WA, maybe worth a shot.

Last edited:

Albula

swollen member
Got a couple of granddaughters who enjoy fishing for them with a light spinning rod and a chicken neck or wing section firmly tied on the end of the line. Cast out and keep tension on the line. You can feel them pick up the bait. Then just reel in very slowly and they are reluctant to let go. Get them within range and scoop with a net. Also done it out of the boat and they will hold on until you get them right below the surface. Dip them up and repeat. Sometimes getting the scent trail going with a couple other pieces of chicken brings more action.

Zak

WFF Supporter
I wonder if I could tie a weighted chicken leg to my belt with 15-20 feet of cord, toss away from me while I'm wade fishing, and pull crabs within netting distance?

Albula

swollen member
I don't think you would need weight. Might be hard to feel them grab the chicken however. That is why the light spinning rod works so well.

B

bennysbuddy

I have used a castable trap with moderate success, I bought mine from England marine in Westport wa. I believe you can buy them online from them.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I wonder if I could tie a weighted chicken leg to my belt with 15-20 feet of cord, toss away from me while I'm wade fishing, and pull crabs within netting distance?

That would work, but consider just tying it to your boots.
The last time I was out in MA 9 I had keeper crabs walking right up to me and hiding behind my boots.
SF

• Love
B

bennysbuddy

worth a try, at the very least you will attract Seagulls

• Haha

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts