Skagit 2021?

CreekScrambler

Their income is limited not by the amount of fish but by the # of days a client books a trip with them. The guide catching fish by himself doesn't mean 4-5 clients will cancel a trip. Could those small # of fish he hooked that day lead to the season closing 1 day earlier? Sure, but his calendar wasn't book full anyways (since he had an open day to begin with). Him sending pictures of those fish to past clients could get more trips booked. Point being, it's not a loss to the guide financially, and could even be a positive. If there were individual rod day and/or encounter quotas for the season (discussed as a possibility on the klick) then it's a different story.
Thanks for that, of course the guy would have had an open day and it’s not strictly a loss as he can still go drum up some business via posts. The fishery was the Skagit/Sauk, and if I’m not mistaken, the C&R season’s length depends on the number of angler encounters? After enough fish have been C&R’d, is mortality not applied on that fraction of the run and the fishery closed?

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Thanks for that, of course the guy would have had an open day and it’s not strictly a loss as he can still go drum up some business via posts. The fishery was the Skagit/Sauk, and if I’m not mistaken, the C&R season’s length depends on the number of angler encounters? After enough fish have been C&R’d, is mortality not applied on that fraction of the run and the fishery closed?
It is, but the odds of an early closure purely due to fish encounters is essentially zero. The limited days of it opening were in part due to that. The season will be shut down if rec anglers catch 2,148.5 steelhead this spring, or just under 200 per week during this emergency opening, or 50 per day. That's just not happening.

If I start fishing 4 days a week then it's a different story.

Last edited:

Charles Sullivan

It is, but the odds of an early closure purely due to fish encounters is essentially zero. The limited days of it opening were in part due to that. The season will be shut down if rec anglers catch 2,148.5 steelhead this spring, or just under 200 per week during this emergency opening, or 50 per day. That's just not happening.

Eliminate GOTY.

Go Sox,
cds

dustinchromers

Who caught the half fish?

dustinchromers

Eliminate guides.

Go Sox,
cds

Eliminate the altruistic advocates for wild fish? Are you crazy? Guiding is conservation work. How will we have any steelhead without guides chasing them? Didn't you get the memo.

#keepemwet
#swingemup
#thetugisthedrug
#chromeslayer
#skagitmaster
#anotherdayintheoffice
#wildfishmatter
#gydelyfe

Creatch'r

Bored member
I think the question comes up when a guide (paid to put people on fish) willingly puts a pair of clients on quite a few fish in an impact-limited fishery, and then goes back to put zero clients (himself) on quite a few fish in the same fishery. To my mind, with such fishing prowess at his command, 8-10 of the 12 fish mentioned count against that guide’s opportunity to get paid (obviously his decision).

The 12 fish could have been spread out over 6 boats’ worth of clients and everybody still would have been all high fives and bong rips on great days of steelheading. Surely the guy would rather get paid more per fish and have a better chance at a longer season?? Dude passed on another 4-5 paid days of fees as far as I’m concerned.

You are over thinking it. 90% of the fish are always caught by 10% of the fishermen. This has been a rule since the dawn of time. There is no equality of outcome in life or fishing no matter how many ways you want to stack the deck. Don’t waste your time on this negative shit it’s not gonna do any good and you’ll slowly turn into the Angry Spey Yahweh stomping around the gravel bars grumbling about boats and guides and for fucks sake there is more of those then steelhead.

skyrise

CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
Got no problems with guides. They are no better or worse than we are. Would love to do another trip with Mr. Koenig (spelling ?) again. Opportunity, opportunity, opportunity. Can’t have enough. For spin fishing, side drifting, boondoggin, bug rod fishing, etc. just because I use method number 4 or whatever don’t care. Too many non fishing days now to get anybody’s panty’s in wade over the gear someone uses. We have real enemies out there that want to shut down fishing for everybody because they believe they should Control everything. Sick Elitist garbage. My rant for today.

CreekScrambler

You are over thinking it. 90% of the fish are always caught by 10% of the fishermen. This has been a rule since the dawn of time. There is no equality of outcome in life or fishing no matter how many ways you want to stack the deck. Don’t waste your time on this negative shit it’s not gonna do any good and you’ll slowly turn into the Angry Spey Yahweh stomping around the gravel bars grumbling about boats and guides and for fucks sake there is more of those then steelhead.
No Angry Spey Yaweh©️ here. I didn’t realize the error of my perception until @GOTY mentioned that it would take 40 fish checked/day to risk closure. Definitely not demanding that the proletariat seize the means of fish-catching from the guide-class. I suppose we could have a shitload more pressure on the rivers and it wouldn’t matter a whit unless the pressure was from the talented, capable 10%, and even then, they’d have to be going balls-out 4 days a week.

dustinchromers

In that dude's defense he's been fishing steelhead for at least five years so he's got real perspective.

Smalma

To WW's point.

As I recall WDFW designed a fishery for this season that was to be limited by a 76 impact/harvest or 760 fish handled (released).

If indeed as Goty reports there were 153 fish caught in February just 100 encounters/a 4 day week would last to just about the 4/13 closure. The real kicker will be what the river conditions will be over the next 6 weeks. Historically it has not been uncommon to loss significant fishing time on the Skagit/Sauk in the spring.

Hopefully WDFW will soon be posting updated results of the 2021 creel info for this fishery on their web site.

Curt

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts