31 inch Cutt

Shad

That's an amazing fish. Who cares if it's a "record?"

It's really cool to see that fish like that still exist. That said, it's probably a good thing there aren't a lot of them around, because a cutthroat that size probably consumes quite a few smolts (and other Yellowstone cutts) over the course of its lifetime...

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
I was bored,
I created a line the length of the exposed left index finger, made it horizontal.
I created a line the length of the fish.
Put the fish line on top of the horizontal finger line, aligning the ends.
Counted as I moved the fish line 1 length of the finger line, about 20 lengths.
My index finger to the end of first joint is 1.125"
View attachment 256141
25-26" maybe is my guess? I have seen a ton of 30-31" salmon (and a few Lahontans in the range) and that fish is short.
Big fish, just the same!
Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding

Last edited:

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I was bored,
I created a line the length of the exposed left index finger, made it horizontal.
My index finger to the end of first joint is 0.125"

Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding

My buddy did that to a couple of our "tank" rainbows that we caught once, except he did it in one of his design programs. Mine ended up right at 19" (we guessed 20"---so not bad) and his ended up at 23.5" (we had guessed 2'--still, not bad). But we also had those in hand (plus the pics) and weren't looking at a pic where the angler is stretching out as far as he can.

I do like the "The fish was so big, they had to use a landing net to scoop it from the water."
If that's the measuring stick by which BIG fish are counted, I've caught a ton of BIG fish.

Last edited:

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I was bored,
My index finger to the end of first joint is 0.125"

Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding
You made my brain work this morning. This is my OCSUP 105 math class, Proportions.
fish/finger, In photo I scale 6.4"/.18". My finger is .6" and may be close to his. 6.4"/.18"=X"/.6". (6.4"/.18")x(.6")=X"=21.3". Looks bigger.
I teach and use aerial photogrammetry. Lens length and distance to object distort quickly. Really only the middle 1/3 of the photo is any good for use. Still really a cool fish, glad it wasn't dinner.

tkww

I've done those sorts of photoshop comparisons before. IMO it only works if you have something very precise to compare against, preferably a tool or something solid that can't distort. The fish needs to be absolutely square to the camera, and hopefully there isn't too much near-far distortion from a wide angle lens. The wider the angle or nearer to the lens, the more important it is that the fish is both square and centered.

In this photo the the fish isn't square to the camera, isn't centered, and there's definitely some near-far distortion going. Not to mention the fish is a long ways from being flat. Not saying it is 31", but short of the parameters above being met, it's kind of a WAG.

Travis Bille

I of course wasn’t there and don’t have a dog in this fight, but here are the rules for a catch and release record in Idaho.

C565DF64-1DDB-4172-A9ED-57A8A739B52D.png

I’m guessing if Idaho Fish and Game gave him the official record, he must have had pictures of it measured, and the pics weren’t necessary for a short newspaper article.

smc

I was bored,
My index finger to the end of first joint is 1.125"

Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding
Your method is good for a linear measurement, but does not account - impossible to do this from a photo without more data - for the curvature of that fish - which is significant.

I’m happy to believe that this is a big fish. :)

Creatch'r

Hesitant Member
Fish distort wildly in a photo, especially with a wide angle lense. It’s tough to scale from a photo anyways, too many variables. I’ve tried to scale photos sent to me from customers for repair jobs on boats. Even if I can scale a 4” ball valve with known measurements in the corner of the photo, trying to apply that to anything else is a total crap shoot. I can get close enough to order some material but that’s about it. Good luck being accurate.

Besides how many times have you taken a photo of a particularly awesome 18” fish and you look at the photo and it looks tiny in one photo but somehow giant in another. To me it looks like a giant cutt, larger then I’ve ever seen in person. I’ll give him the 31” if that’s what he says, I have photos of 30” trout that I measured myself and they look smaller then that thing. Of course I wasn’t lifting them to the camera, but even still it looks obscene to me.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info