In case you missed this "60 Minutes" segment.

girlfisher

Some interesting takeaways: "Career Fires" - What used to be one, 50K acre fire, has now been surpassed by several 100K acre fires and the California Creek Fire which is over 180K acres.

Some folks refer to "natural cycles" and avoid human caused Climate Change. An interesting chart in this segment shows the natural cycle would have us in a much cooler cycle at this stage in time but for some reason we are continuing to get warmer???

The Scientist from Penn State equates Climate Change consensus with "Gravity"! The same gentlemen tells us that it is "NOT" to late and gives a rather hopeful proposition.

Last edited:

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
As of yesterday the Creek Fire was 322,000 acres.
The North Complex in the Sierra east of Chico and the Previous Camp Fire that burned Paradise is now 318,000 acres.
From Cal Fire website:
“More than 16,600 firefighters continue to work towards containment on 23 major wildfires and one extended attack wildfire across the state. Yesterday, firefighters also responded to 26 new wildfires, bringing full containment to all but one, the Lambert Fire in Amador County.
Since the beginning of the year, there have been over 8,300 wildfires that have burned well over 4 million acres in California. To date, the total number of fatalities statewide is 31 and over 8,687 structures have been destroyed.”

dogsnfish

My old man worked for the USFS from the 1960's into the 1990's and was a fire boss, at the end of his career he was in charge of fire for an entire region. He has told me they never had anything close to what has happened over the past decade.

girlfisher

As of yesterday the Creek Fire was 322,000 acres.
The North Complex in the Sierra east of Chico and the Previous Camp Fire that burned Paradise is now 318,000 acres.
From Cal Fire website:
“More than 16,600 firefighters continue to work towards containment on 23 major wildfires and one extended attack wildfire across the state. Yesterday, firefighters also responded to 26 new wildfires, bringing full containment to all but one, the Lambert Fire in Amador County.
Since the beginning of the year, there have been over 8,300 wildfires that have burned well over 4 million acres in California. To date, the total number of fatalities statewide is 31 and over 8,687 structures have been destroyed.”
Robert: Thanks, very much, for the update!

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I did not miss last night's episode. Quite sobering; something like 4% of California burning this year. That is huge by any metric.

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
Robert: Thanks, very much, for the update!
Want to clarify that only the new fires are contained, the Creek Fire is about 50%, the active zones in that one are burning to the north and east, away from developed areas and tearing through some beautiful wilderness, approaching southern edges of Yosemite. SQF Complex to the south has burned through one of the southernmost groves of Giant Sequoia that The Wilderness Society just bought from private owners earlier this year. It is now in the Golden Trout Wilderness and wild trout section of the upper Kern. It is a long ways from being contained. Faint hope of rain this coming weekend and after.

girlfisher

No revelation that a lot if not most of these burns were in places that suffered the most from the horrific drought that plagued California years ago!

What a horrible thought that one of the few places on earth to host native Golden Trout might be in jeopardy!

Riffling Hitch

This is a good read.

It is not the whole story but what I feel is a big part.

I am in CA and have many coworkers and friends that have lost their homes. I also work for a company that may take part of the blame. But there is no winning for this company with current state policy.

Lots of things working against us right now after all of the previous policy in the state and US.

In the last two years I have now seen work finally being done in the forests.

Russell

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts