NFR Looking for a photo editing program

GOTY

7x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Lightroom for editing the actual data in the picture (think colors).

Photoshop for changing the picture (add another fish, remove the bead and replace with dry fly, etc).

Both are expensive and somewhat hard to use at first.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Free/open source:

Otherwise, Lightroom is the way to go. Photoshop isn't what you want for doing photography. Photoshop is for photo manipulation/editing. Lightroom is for adjusting color/lighting/overall look of the photo.

Bruce Baker

the photoshop / lightroom photographer package is $10 a month ... not a bad price when you consider the power of the software. I'd say try it for a couple months and if you don't dig it then try something else. Another option if you're on a mac is Affinity Photo that is $50 forever
Does Affinity Photo allow you to insert text or images into the photo? I went to the website and did not see anything about text. I thought I saw something the affirmed inserting an image, but I am not 100%. Thanks.

Big Cat

Busch Light Pro Staff/Ambassador
Photoshop and Lightroom are what I use on a computer, but for a cell app I'm a big fan of Snapseed
By no means am skilled with it and has more tools than I will probably ever learn to use, but agree Snapseed is a great cell-based tool. Would also add the iphone comes stock with some nice editing tools.

Kyle Smith

Are you using a DSLR/mirrorless, point and shoot, or a phone for your photography? Raw or jpeg? Personally, I hate using a computer, and I don't have time to deal with raw images, so for now I keep it simple with the lowly "straight out of camera" jpeg.

The Snapseed app from Google is pretty amazing once you get to know it. Perfect for phone pics, and even if you use a real camera, you can wifi transfer jpegs to your phone, and edit them with Snapseed. Then just text them to someone or throw it on your Livejournal.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
Are you using a DSLR/mirrorless, point and shoot, or a phone for your photography? Raw or jpeg? Personally, I hate using a computer, and I don't have time to deal with raw images, so for now I keep it simple with the lowly "straight out of camera" jpeg.

The Snapseed app from Google is pretty amazing once you get to know it. Perfect for phone pics, and even if you use a real camera, you can wifi transfer jpegs to your phone, and edit them with Snapseed. Then just text them to someone or throw it on your Livejournal.
Right now I'm using my samsung s8 active phone. It takes some OK shots, especially when you have time to adjust the photo setting. I like it for fishing because you can drop it onto the gravel bar or into the river and it holds up. It's also quick, remove from fly box pocket, push on twice, click shutter, then back into pocket.
If I get back into photography seriously I want a real camera. I love my 35mm Nikon film camera, but haven't used it in 15 years.

Kyle Smith

Right now I'm using my samsung s8 active phone. It takes some OK shots, especially when you have time to adjust the photo setting. I like it for fishing because you can drop it onto the gravel bar or into the river and it holds up. It's also quick, remove from fly box pocket, push on twice, click shutter, then back into pocket.
If I get back into photography seriously I want a real camera. I love my 35mm Nikon film camera, but haven't used it in 15 years.
Snapseed probably does everything you need, with the easiest learning curve. Lots of tools, you can actually go back and adjust stuff, you can save presets, and it's free.
Screenshot_20201013-134800.png Screenshot_20201013-134738.png

chromefinder

online free one that is decent

jwg

Does Affinity Photo allow you to insert text or images into the photo? I went to the website and did not see anything about text. I thought I saw something the affirmed inserting an image, but I am not 100%. Thanks.
Bruce:
I have affinity Photo on the mac. i can confirm that you can put text on your photos.

It is very much like photoshop. I did not check, but I don't doubt that you can paste on image onto another.

I use DXO PhotoLab for processing my RAW image files from an olympus micro4/3 camera.

so far I have only really used Affinity photo for photostacking, if you know what that means. its great for that. Otherwise I have not needed it much, as I can do all my photo adjusting in PhotoLab (contrast, color temperature, brightness, local adjustments, etc)

Jay

jwg

yes you can also insert a one photo onto a different layer so it shows on top of your main photo, and even independently size the inserted photo, even though its resolution may be different than the original background photo.
j

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts