NFR At around 10:15 a.m., Thursday, tsunami sirens will sound off with the actual wailing sound, not the typical Westminster chimes that occur as part of

Zak

WFF Supporter
4d025dc0ed73237cafb873774983c6b3.png.56x56.png

Public Information Officer
, Washington Emergency Management DivisionAGENCY
e1b46f69b9ecc81203a00282d9788f75.png

Tsunami Sirens will go off 10/15 at 10:15am. At around 10:15 a.m., Thursday, tsunami sirens will sound off with the actual wailing sound, not the typical Westminster chimes that occur as part of the monthly tests. This is part of a drill called the Great Washington ShakeOut. Please don’t call 911. There will also be messages in English and Spanish, as well as Russian in some areas. If this were a real tsunami, don’t wait for the siren to go off. Head to high ground as soon as the shaking has stopped. NOAA Weather Radios will also sound an alarm. Please consider investing in a NOAA Weather Radio as the sirens are not meant to be heard inside households. You can find them at most hardware stores and online retailers. ShakeOut is the largest earthquake drill in the world and we encourage you to drop, cover & hold on where you are at that time. Find more information on tsunamis including evacuation routes at mil.wa.gov/tsunami For earthquake tips and resources, visit https://www.shakeout.org/washington/

Denny Wagenman

God forbid should we have a quake. As poorly as the state of Washington was prepared for the Covic epidemic can't imagine how it will handle another emergency

BriGuy

There has been a lot more planning for a big quake at the state, county and city level. A lot more coordination and testing, too. However, a big quake will completely disrupt the flow of supplies. I remember hearing estimates of two weeks to get help and supplies to some people. Most people are nowhere near prepared for two weeks on their own. There is also not enough of a stockpile on hand, either.

Events like the Shake Out are intended to get folks thinking about these eventualities and how they might cope and prepare. Sadly, most won't.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
Thanks for the heads-up Zak. I would have had no idea what the sirens were for!
When/where I grew up, they would have been tornado warnings.

Reactions: Zak

Sportsman

I remember when those sirens meant incoming nukes! But 99+% of people are unprepared for any disaster. A minimum of 1 gallon of water per person... every day. Now you eliminated 9/10 of that last percent just for water! Live in a condo or apartment? Good luck. No power, water, gas or heat for an undetermined amount of time. Possibly a home that you can no longer seek safe shelter in. Now you have to eat. Many of us camp along with fishing, so heating cans of whatever isn't a problem as long as you have cans. I'm no survivalist, but I'm always good for a couple weeks. Need medicine? It took FEMA 5 days just to get water to the Superdome. No 911 because phones don't work. You'll have neighbors that need help, thirsty, hungry and possibly injured. And that is just the beginning. Not trying to be an alarmist, it's just reality. As I said, pray/hope we never have to live to see that day.

Sportsman

I remember when those sirens meant incoming nukes! But 99+% of people are unprepared for any disaster. A minimum of 1 gallon of water per person... every day. Now you eliminated 9/10 of that last percent just for water! Live in a condo or apartment? Good luck. No power, water, gas or heat for an undetermined amount of time. Possibly a home that you can no longer seek safe shelter in. Now you have to eat. Many of us camp along with fishing, so heating cans of whatever isn't a problem as long as you have cans. I'm no survivalist, but I'm always good for a couple weeks. Need medicine? It took FEMA 5 days just to get water to the Superdome. No 911 because phones don't work. You'll have neighbors that need help; thirsty, hungry and possibly injured. Forget your extended family, you.cant get there.And that is just the beginning. Not trying to be an alarmist, it's just reality. As I said, pray/hope we never have to live to see that day.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
I remember when those sirens meant incoming nukes! But 99+% of people are unprepared for any disaster. A minimum of 1 gallon of water per person... every day. Now you eliminated 9/10 of that last percent just for water! Live in a condo or apartment? Good luck. No power, water, gas or heat for an undetermined amount of time. Possibly a home that you can no longer seek safe shelter in. Now you have to eat. Many of us camp along with fishing, so heating cans of whatever isn't a problem as long as you have cans. I'm no survivalist, but I'm always good for a couple weeks. Need medicine? It took FEMA 5 days just to get water to the Superdome. No 911 because phones don't work. You'll have neighbors that need help; thirsty, hungry and possibly injured. Forget your extended family, you.cant get there.And that is just the beginning. Not trying to be an alarmist, it's just reality. As I said, pray/hope we never have to live to see that day.
We actually do have an emergency kit with med supplies, food, water, filtration, lights, etc, plus all my camping gear.
I just wasn't aware that there were any kind of warning sirens here, since I've never heard any.
In the 70s/80s in my St Paul suburb, the tornado/air raid sirens were tested at full volume every Wed at 1pm.
We did in fact have the occasional tornado. No air raids that I recall.

Jiminsandiego

A few years ago I was in San Diego when the power went out. We were told at least 4 days before it came back on, all the way out to Arizona. 3 million people in total panic. Traffic lights out so grid lock every where. People could not believe that their credit cards were useless. Liquor stores sold out of booze, tobacco, and batteries within minutes. Without cash you got nothing. Gas pumps shut off so whatever gas you had was it for you... Generators were used for oxygen machines and I syphoned some fuel from my boat to keep my buddy alive.....After that I learned. At least a half tank of gas. At least a few hundred dollars in cash all the time. But the local pub was using candles and the party was epic. In a blink of an eye everyone's life was upended.

SilverFly

I hope from where I live that we don't have a Tsunami. If I do, nobody below 5000 feet will be left alive.
I would hope you're safe from sea wave inundation. The only thing I can imagine that has an absurdly remote chance of generating a Montana tsunami, would be a large asteroid impacting in the Pacific.

If that happens, the lucky will be taken out by the monster wall of seawater. Y'all up in the hills will get to enjoy the rain of molten rock re-entering the atmosphere. Anyone surviving that will wish for a good old-fashioned Montana winter to warm up.

Last edited:

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
OMJ, your major threat, albeit unlikely in your life (or mine) is a reeruption of the Yellowstone supervolcano. The last major eruption was 70,000 years ago.
Steve

Cheek Meat

We were visiting the oregon coast a few years ago when we heard sirens. We ran like hell to the car. I almost threw my rod, but decided it wasn't slowing me down. I kept looking at other people in the distance calmly going about their business figuring they were foolish casualties to be. Finally we realized not a single local was running and the sirens didn't seem to run as long as one would expect. Just a test. They should have signs for that crap on the beach. We laughed hard

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts