Victor, ID in two weeks for 4 days. Mainly dry fly, streamer, or both?

Mark Kadoshima

First time to Henry's Fork area and couldn't really find much info on late fall fishing the rivers. I was going to bring a 4, 5 and a 6 wt rod. Wasn't sure which one I should back up though as I like to do a little hiking and can see myself breaking a rod....(going to try my homemade bamboo rods, and don't completely trust them to not break!)
I'm also frantically tying up some streamers, but wasn't sure if there were any dry flies I should also work on.
Thanks for any help,
Mark
PS....should I try to talk my buddy into us driving up to the Bitteroot river area? We're based in Victor every night.

Big Cat

Busch Light Pro Staff/Ambassador
My $0.02 - If you're based in Victor, I'd focus some attention on fishing in the Teton Valley rather than going that far north. There are a number of walk and wade opportunities in the valley. Enjoy Victor!

wetswinger

The Bitterroot is mega. hours away from Victor. Local is the Teton, Bitch Crk., Snake. Drive over to Jackson for Upper Snake, Hoback, Greys, GroVent. If you live in the Sound, on the way home go through Rexberg to Salmon, ID. There's the Lemhi R. along the road (hwy 28) then over the top to Montana on u.s. 93. You can run down to the Big Hole @ Wisdom for grayling then back through the Bitterroot to Missoula and I-90. Take warm clothes, all this area is cold this time of year...

1Richcrook

To fish or not to fish? What a stupid question.
I’m a little over an hour north of Victor until Saturday. The highs over the weekend will be below freezing. Dress warm and hope it gets warmer.

Mark Kadoshima

I'm pretty used to fishing for steelhead in freezing weather but I'm not too sure about my buddy. I do have issues with my guides freezing up....got some stuff from Sportco that is supposed to help with that. Going to try out the electric socks for the first time too. Haven't tried tying a mono nonslip loop knot with 5x with freezing hands before...
Oddly, can't find a Delorme (sp?) map of Idaho. All the local book stores and sporting goods stores are sold out. Gonna hit a used bookstore tomorrow.
Bringing a 3, 4, 5, 6 and a 3 wt spey rod. If I get too cold....bamboo burns.... : )
Thanks for ideas and weather warnings.

landlocked

WFF Supporter
It’s going to be dang cold this weekend. I cancelled my trip up towards Hoback and GroVe. High on Sunday about 18 predicted. Have fun, stay close to somewhere you can get a good cup of hot coffee and a hot lunch!! Utilize your 3 wt Spey!

fisher

I fished the Henry's fork in early October. Water was very low, the name of the game with the low water was double nymph rigs with an indictaor. 4 feet of 4x to a rubbers legs, the about 18 inches of 4.5x under the rubber legs to a zebra midge, and to make it more fun a split shot sinker about 16 inches above the rubber legs. Pain in the ass but we got into some nice fish.

Mark Kadoshima

I fished the Henry's fork in early October. Water was very low, the name of the game with the low water was double nymph rigs with an indictaor. 4 feet of 4x to a rubbers legs, the about 18 inches of 4.5x under the rubber legs to a zebra midge, and to make it more fun a split shot sinker about 16 inches above the rubber legs. Pain in the ass but we got into some nice fish.
Too shallow for streamers?

PV_Premier

Is this a request for like right now, or some time in the future? I have a house in Victor and am here right now. The fishing has been good with soft hackles on most days and BWO dries when the weather is s***. Streamers are producing...smaller sculpins, strip being better than swing. You can nymph up a bunch if you want to watch a bobber but I don't do that when I am here if I can avoid it.

It has been an extremely windy fall season so far with >20mph most days, making fishing a little bit of a pain but still doable.

Weds I went out on the Snake in Swan Valley from 11:30-2 and caught 20 swinging soft hackles on an extended lunchbreak. I haven't been out on the Teton in about a week but i am sure it's fishing alright on light tippets.

Tourist activity is down now with the colder weather.

Right now it is snowing sideways and it's gonna be cold for a few days. The fishing will likely be slower early this week but should pick back up toward the latter half of next week. We are taking off Weds/Thurs and will either fish locally or go to HF or Madison in Montana or maybe the Firehole.

Last edited:

Mark Kadoshima

Is this a request for like right now, or some time in the future? I have a house in Victor and am here right now. The fishing has been good with soft hackles on most days and BWO dries when the weather is s***. Streamers are producing...smaller sculpins, strip being better than swing. You can nymph up a bunch if you want to watch a bobber but I don't do that when I am here if I can avoid it.

It has been an extremely windy fall season so far with >20mph most days, making fishing a little bit of a pain but still doable.

Weds I went out on the Snake in Swan Valley from 11:30-2 and caught 20 swinging soft hackles on an extended lunchbreak. I haven't been out on the Teton in about a week but i am sure it's fishing alright on light tippets.

Tourist activity is down now with the colder weather.

Right now it is snowing sideways and it's gonna be cold for a few days. The fishing will likely be slower early this week but should pick back up toward the latter half of next week. We are taking off Weds/Thurs and will either fish locally or go to HF or Madison in Montana or maybe the Firehole.
Going to be there Tue-Sun. Great to hear about the fishing. I'm bringing every piece of cold weather gear I have!

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
I have found that every time the weather changes from rain to Sun to snow to windy the hatches change. The Fish are already keyed in on what's under the surface of the water so try to fish something that they are cued in on and then switch to mimic what is the current hatch with an emerger if they no longer are biting what used to work. Don't chase the hatch just because the hatch changes...

Mark Kadoshima

I have almost zero stream trout fishing experience, so I hope to learn a lot. We'll do a couple guided trips to get the hang of things and spend some money at the local fly shops. We'll also have extra beer and scotch on hand with some clean cups to share with any friendly locals! I picture some hot Irish coffee stream side.

PV_Premier

Hope you’ve found a few fish so far. Pretty good hatch on the South Fork for 2-3 hours yesterday. We fished the HF today which seemed to be a mistake, worked pretty hard for only a couple grabs and found no risers on our small section of river fished. As promised the weather hasn’t been too bad in the afternoons.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts