What's Up with Double R Ranch Posting Road to Chopaka?

chief

I drove in to Chopaka the same way I have been for 30 years, and there is now a stretch between the two cattle guards that is aggressively posted "No Trespassing" by Double R Ranch. I assumed they meant the land, but not the road easement and kept driving. Does anyone know what's up?

The fishing was pretty good. Lot's of healthy, hard fighting, 15-18 inch fish.

Rialto

The road at the top of the grade traverses four parcels that were acquired in June 2020 by an LLC. I saw the real estate listing last year consisting of multiple parcels including several that comprise the southwest shore of Palmer Lake. The four parcels are listed as an having a conservation easement for the state but I don't know if that includes the road. Here's a link to the listing: Grandview Mountain Ranch

Lance Magnuson

WFF Supporter
The Chopaka Grade Road is now only available for use by the BLM or DNR on official business meaning adding toilet paper to outhouses or handing out fines for no Discover passes in DNR campsites.

The other route takes you past the Chopaka Grade Road where you must climb up to a ridge that then drops to the entrance to the road into the lake. This is apparently the only “legal” public access into Chopaka.

Unfortunately, this route takes nearly twice the time and due to elevation, it’s not accessible early season due to snow.

The BLM is attempting to negotiate public access with R & R over the old Chopaka Grade. They’ve been rebuffed in these efforts, presently.

I’ll continue to use the old route as it’s quicker unless I’m stopped by armed ranchers.

Mike Ediger

WFF Supporter
I drove in to Chopaka the same way I have been for 30 years, and there is now a stretch between the two cattle guards that is aggressively posted "No Trespassing" by Double R Ranch. I assumed they meant the land, but not the road easement and kept driving. Does anyone know what's up?

The fishing was pretty good. Lot's of healthy, hard fighting, 15-18 inch fish.
Any evidence of the Palmer Lake fire? I think it may have gone east more than west toward Chopaka...just curious.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts