U-40 Duragloss LS Supreme Hardner question

Elliott5400

I have some LS Supreme I bought a couple years ago, but just now have opened it for use for the first time.

I noticed the hardner looks tan/brown compared to online stock photos.

Will this affect clearness of finish over thread wraps? I also see that my bottles say "Monroe WA" while online stock photos say "Everett WA". This leads me to believe the Monore labeled bottles could possibly be older batches.

Having the brown hardner and possibly older material, should I just toss it and start fresh? Or is there no reason for concern here. Hate to toss so much product, but also not looking for potential durability issues later. 20201017_123515.jpg

Bagman

I would run a trial mix. Just place a few drops of each on a piece of white paper and mix, let cure and see what you end up with.

BullerRiver1

Discoloration will have a small cosmetic effect on the final wrap outcome. However, how much you notice it will depend on the color of thread and blank. Won't effect durability. But hell, it's only 4 ounces - just replace it.

Elliott5400

Discoloration will have a small cosmetic effect on the final wrap outcome. However, how much you notice it will depend on the color of thread and blank. Won't effect durability. But hell, it's only 4 ounces - just replace it.

I have some on a test blank right now. Maybe I'll just use this to practice my finish lay down and clear wraps.

I'm looking to try out clear wraps, hence wanting absolutely crystal clear material.

Only bummer is this batch of epoxy was $21.99. But ill just use it for practice lay downs on my test blank.

I've only built a few rods. But each build is getting better and better and I'm looking to perfect my abilities this winter. Wouldn't hurt to practice my epoxy lay down before getting onto actual builds. Then the material isn't a complete waste.

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
After you do all the work of carefully wrapping the guides....the last thing you don’t want to do is have the finish fail! It’d be like building a nice car and painting it with a brush! I don’t like wasting stuff either, but $22 hopefully won’t break the bank!

Elliott5400

Does denatured alcohol work to remove the left over residue if you remove a guide?

I'm looking to refinish entirely my 2nd built rod, as the pacbay quickline blank is nice and wasn't necessarily cheap.

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
Is that a graphite rod? All I’ve done is replaced guides on graphite rods I’ve built. I redid a vintage Phillipson fiberglass rod....when I took off the guides the paint came off, damn! I just steel wool‘d the rest of the paint and exposed a cool dull white blank, this was my first fly rod from 1966! I redo and fish bamboo now, give it a try! And not sure about the alcohol.

Elliott5400

Is that a graphite rod? All I’ve done is replaced guides on graphite rods I’ve built. I redid a vintage Phillipson fiberglass rod....when I took off the guides the paint came off, damn! I just steel wool‘d the rest of the paint and exposed a cool dull white blank, this was my first fly rod from 1966! I redo and fish bamboo now, give it a try! And not sure about the alcohol.
I am not 100% sure, but im fairly certain it is graphite.

I already made the mistake of lightly knicking the blank finish with a razor blade (glossy black) on the first attempt at which I started at the hook keeper. At least here i can hide it with a underwear and then wrap the hook keeper back on.

I came across a YouTube video showing the DNA technique and it looks promising. I've also been reading up about citri clean. However there is some question if it eats off the rod finish as well during the process.

Elliott5400

Here's what I originally did in 2018. As a very novice rod builder, I was in a rush to see a finished product.

I only did one coat of epoxy and did the classic beginner "football" laydown. And my edges aren't so great in spots.

I'm looking to strip the entire rod blank and refresh it with single foot guides, simple black wraps with glow thread trim bands.
SmartSelect_20201017-220235_Instagram.jpg

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
A problem I can see if you replace the snakes with single foot guides is if there’s any marks left from taking off the original guides, the single foot wraps won’t cover one of the old spots...but what the heck, the fish don’t care!

Elliott5400

Well the process has gone south from the start.

I tried removing the residue with goof off, while scraping with a plastic blade.

Unfortunately the finish started coming off good.

I don't think I'm going to enjoy this process, so this one is going to be scrap.

Props to those who can fully refurbish rods, but it is definitely not for me. Nothing like a fresh build on a fresh blank!

BullerRiver1

Well the process has gone south from the start.

I tried removing the residue with goof off, while scraping with a plastic blade.

Unfortunately the finish started coming off good.

I don't think I'm going to enjoy this process, so this one is going to be scrap.

Props to those who can fully refurbish rods, but it is definitely not for me. Nothing like a fresh build on a fresh blank!
Don't feel bad about it. It's a hard and delicate task.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts